1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you defeat Trump?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by IglooDude, Feb 13, 2020.

1. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

Inspired by the other thread(s).

You just won the Dem primary, congrats. You're an amalgam of Bernie, Biden, Bloomberg, and Buttigieg. You've got some mix of baggage yourself, whether it be saying nice things about Fidel, a tendency to say dumb things, a tape of supporting stop-n-frisk in a really cringeworthy way, a notable lack of experience on the national stage, or whatever. Your name is Fred Beeman.

You've watched the Rep primary and general race in 2016 including how he acts and reacts in debates, you've seen his Twitter-enabled redirecting of media attention, his penchant for inserting himself and changing the conversation even during Dem debates and House impeachment proceedings, his sucking all the wind out of the room with dramatic charged-up statements that are walked back a few days later.

How do you beat him in debates, in social media (including Twitter), in media story threads? How do you prevent him from sticking a label on you and riding that label to victory?

2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I call him an idiot to his face in a debate.

Birdjaguar and hobbsyoyo like this.
  3. bernie14

bernie14 Filter Manipulator

He'd smirk and shrug that off. Trickster trump would be more effective. Put a jester hat on him and a scepter and hype the "buffoon who would be king" angle.

Zardnaar and GenMarshall like this.
  4. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Then I'd do it again. Trust me, I could get that big ego to pop. When I'm on my game I could make Gandhi swing first.

Moderator: This next segment is about foreign policy...
    Interrupting Tim: Another area where Donnie has already proven he's an idiot.

The news would be torn between discussion of how disrespectful I was, interspersed with "but of course he was correct, so..." and discussion of how Dingbat Don melted down on national television and had to be physically restrained for his own safety.

Birdjaguar, hobbsyoyo and mitsho like this.
  5. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Call for a general strike after the Republicans rig the election. Bring the nation to a halt until Trump and McConnell agree to step down.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  6. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

I think what voters would like to see is: mostly ignore him, and focus on presenting your own plans and solutions.
    Also maybe coming across as humble would be something that peoples can appreciate, rare these days for politicians.

I know for sure that i would forget about Twitter, why waste time on that.

7. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Yes, this is exactly the best strategy. Hardly ever talk about him except to say in simple, clear, direct ways how he has abused the power of his office to enrich himself, and how he, like all Republicans, has implemented policy to make poor and middle-class people worse off and make very rich people richer.

hobbsyoyo, cardgame and Synsensa like this.
  8. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

I've been doing a lot of thinking on this matter, and I like the way this thread is framed: imagine you're the candidate. I was thinking of starting a similar thread called "I'm Running for President," with a similar starting premise: that "I" am a legit but not perfect candidate (and you all at CFC are my campaign staff).

I'm just as happy to be Fred Beeman.

For starters, I'll just give my version of Tim's answer regarding debates. When invited to give my opening remarks, I would sing the National Anthem, then turn to Trump and invite him to demonstrate his patriotism by doing so as well.

When he says "I'm not a good singer." I'd say, "As everyone here heard, neither am I. But I'm a patriot, and that's why I have the words memorized. Would you like to show your level of patriotism?"

When he declined again, I'd say, "That's what I thought. That you aren't a real lover of America."

That's a small tactic for one moment. I'll get at some aspects of my overall strategy shortly.

9. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Superconductor Moderator

I would publish a diagnostic report on his personality and behavioural characteristics as I see them (from media research these past four years) and invite him to do the same of me. I know I'll score better than he would.

10. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

Whoever wins is going to have to deal with Trump and Republicans quite literally leveraging the federal government to harass/intimidate/spread rumors/investigate/whatever the Dem nominee, in a way that is very new territory to run in. I think it's probably best to focus on the areas that Republicans and Trump have struggled in. Health care is a big one, and needs to be a constant point. Trump's approval rating was at its lowest when trying to remove Obamacare. No reason not to mention that literally every time you can, that a re-election means another shot at that. Other than that, I think mostly staying out of the fray is best. No need to try to have a witty comeback or clever retort to whatever Trump blasts out on Twitter or at a rally. Too many Dems have had their attempts to punch back end up hurting them. I'd like to see a Dem candidate also give some focus to the opioid epidemic given it's still a terrible epidemic that a lot of voters said in 2016 both candidates were not talking about enough (Hillary claimed she was surprised so many people considered it so important, giant faaaaaaaaaaaaart noises there).

Other than that I think you mostly have to cross your fingers. Trump is an incumbent in an economy that while leaving much of America broke, is perceived as pretty good when compared to how Obama left it because Obama is black and Trump isn't. There's only so much you can do about that. Obama got lambasted (rightfully so) for saying Trump's doom and gloom was not representative of many American's economic experience, but now Trump is running on everything great and it's become a sort of "yeah the economy is great he can't be beat." So yeah. There's not much strategy here. Just try to run a good campaign, try to turn out voters, and don't do anything really stupid. And stay on message.

caketastydelish and El_Machinae like this.
  11. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Not on his chart you wouldn't.

It would have only one question: "Attacks Trump?" and only one trait: Trump Derangement Syndrome.

12. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Ignoring him doesn't work, because the media isn't going to follow your lead. He is a bully, and you beat a bully by hitting them harder than they ever expected to get hit. If Hillary Clinton had been following my line of thinking, when he was stalking her around the stage and getting close behind her she would have "not realized he was so close" and "turned suddenly to make a point to someone in the audience on the other side of the hall" and "accidentally" bumped into him, catching him full in the groin.

Birdjaguar and rah like this.
  13. stinkubus

stinkubus Emperor

Really depends on the personality and persona of the opposing candidate.

Bill Clinton or Barrack Obama could probably get away with rhetorically clowning on someone like Trump. They were charismatic and articulate enough to pull it off.

Al Gore, John Kerry, or Hillary Clinton wouldn't come across as well trying to do so.

IDK if anyone in the current Democratic field (who actually has a chance) would be able to get away with going toe to toe with Trump on insults unless they hired some very skilled comedy writers. I could see Tulsi pulling it off on a debate stage, but she can't win. Buttigeg or Biden would probably get laughed out of the room the same way Jeb did.

Bernie might be able to get off a few zingers, but he's trying to actively court Trump voters so it would work against that objective.

14. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Be modest and put together a good team with a well thought out
    program, name the individual team members, and explain what each
    member's skills are and what their contribution to the program will be.

You let the audience pick up that:

The Democats are offering a committed and solid team, whereas
    the Republicans are offering the one man band show again.

It is how Labour beat the Conservatives in 1945 in the UK.

15. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

I think you have to both ignore him and punch him. I'll elaborate at some point.

My first element of broad strategy is to ban everyone in my campaign from "we're out to beat Trump." That should not be how you phrase your goal, and I hate it that that is how all the present candidates are talking. I know that it's the thing that comes up highest in polls of Dems, and one is , of course, trying to do that. But you don't say it that way. For multiple reasons, but for starters because Trump always wants to shrink your ambitions to just personal hatred toward him. You say that you are trying to "win the White House" or even better "earn from voters the opportunity to serve as President."

This phrasing positions one to pivot quickly to stressing one's policies: in order to expand health-care coverage, reduce student debt, whatever. You want to win the White House to do those things. One must give voters something to think of themselves as voting for.

That can include plenty of anti-Trump stuff. One should promise to fully staff the State Department, not to use the office for personal gain, not to insult our allies, not to support white supremacists etc. the whole long list of crap people don't like in Trump. Now as distinguishing traits of oneself. Each time, one does it with a little "That should go without saying, of course, but since we sadly have lived through four long years where it hasn't, I want to assure you that will observe X or Y or Z."

16. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Yes, out bully, out lie and out insult him to take away his natural advantages. Once you're even on those, maybe policies might actually come up for discussion.

17. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I disagree Gori. You can't win by arguing with Trump on the rare occasions that he is right. When he says "he's just hating on me, it's all personal, not very presidential" I say straight out that he is right, and frankly I don't want to debate him because if I actually get in that close a proximity I may not be able to resist spitting in his fat dumb face.

18. rah

rah Deity Supporter

I believe that qualifies as out bully and out insult.

19. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Policy policy policy and make sure they're populist. Call out Trump on promises broken. Frequently quote stats about how the deficit grew under Trump, about how little impact on the trade deficit his policies have actually had. Point out ways he could have leveraged the government's spending to reach the "made in America" goals he had. Point out the failures in preventing offshoring with examples like Carrier, GM and Harley Davidson. Point out how the low unemployment numbers aren't a reflection of how well Americans are actually doing because the median income is $32k a year which is a joke. Point out that the same unemployment figures hes touting now are the same ones he called fake in 2016. How the jobs propping up his unemployment numbers aren't good sustainful jobs but are actually low paying service sector jobs. Point out how his admin is actively trying to end protection for pre existing conditions in court while promising not to.

I mean I could go on but if a Democrat loses it's not because of Donald Trump. The guy's a joke.

20. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

You ninja'd me. I edited to show I was disagreeing with Gori. By the time they talk me onto a debate stage with that clown he'd have to bring secret service in close flanking positions for fear that I would physically assault him.

Birdjaguar and rah like this.