1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you develop water starved cities?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by player1 fanatic, Oct 29, 2016.

1. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

There is always point in game, when you need to put city in some inhospitable place without fresh water in order to get key strategic or luxury resource.

Before neighborhoods, these cities will have up to 4 or 5 housing (with granary).

So how do you plan build order for those cities, considering that they will start growing slowly from 2-3 population?

What are key buildings they need? Granary? Walls in case of borders?

What is that one district you will put in them, to be slowly build for dozen or turns?

2. Frank327

Frank327 Warlord

Encampment. Barracks and stable provide one extra housing while also boosting production and giving the city a useful niche. With Encampment + building + granary + 4x farm/pasture/camp/plantation you get to 6 housing which is managable. If the city is somewhat coastal then obviously a harbor is important. Once you get neighbourhoods you can spam farms and neighbourhoods and grow it huge.

Nefelia likes this.
  3. Pysethus

Pysethus Chieftain

Industrial Zone. Factory and Power Plant give production bonus to all cities within 6 tiles. Usually I put campus as 2nd district because University is one extr housing and I dislike building campuses so these tiny cities will take one for the team. Entertainmment district can be alright later on in the game when you unlock Zoo - amenity to all cities within 6 tiles.

4. Promethian

Promethian Warlord

Aqueduct upgrades a city to fresh water status.

5. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Emperor

If you have a river or mountain within 1 tile of City Center. Not always possible.
    I like the encampment idea thought. It will also help you defend what's probably a border city.

6. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Or it might be a "fill-in" city, existing solely for the purpose of sopping up space and/or grabbing some resource, in which case letting it stay relatively small is fine. Under those circumstances, you might prioritize commercial district, plus an entertainment district and/or an industrial zone, solely for the purpose of exporting amenities and cogs to neighboring cities in the later game. Use internal trade routes to give the city the production it needs when building districts and district buildings.

avl8 and Calouste like this.
  7. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Emperor

I would be careful about TR on food poor cities thought (such as desert or tundra cities) because it might let them grow above what the land can provide and you might end up with a locked TR (or have to let your city starve, which i just can't do even if it doesn't have any bad in-game consequences :hammer2:)

Because yes, sometimes you'll settle crappy locations if the only available Niter or Oil is there.

8. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

Thanks akl. This is good discussion.

Mods, can you edit the title so it reads "develop", not developer?

Moderator Action: Done.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2016
  9. lamaros

lamaros Warlord

There's no way to tell a city not to grow, is there? I've been looking and looking but can't seem to find it.

10. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

There is no "avoid growth" option like there was in Civ V. You can go to a city's Manage Citizens screen and manually reassign citizens to non-food tiles to reduce (or eliminate) any food surplus, which will slow down growth.

11. Calouste

Calouste Deity

Yes, there is nothing wrong in Civ6 (compared to Civ5) with having a few small cities. If a city is size 4, it can build 2 districts and uses 1 amenity. As long as they are good tiles and districts, that's worth it.

12. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

The first thing that comes to mind for the water-starved city is to take over production of settlers for future cities.
    As to its own development:

1. Granary
    2. Aqueduct (if possible) ; there are some cases where it would be worthwhile to buy this the moment you founded your city; which would turn it into a normal one.
    3. If possible Harbor (for the additional trade route). In addition a Lighthouse will slightly improve housing.
    4. Commercial District (for the additional trade route)
    5. Most likely an Industrial Zone

13. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

Aqueduct is district, and as such can be not bought, only build.

And city with access to aqueduct is not really water starved. Thus strategies discussed here do not really apply to it.

14. keypusher

keypusher Chieftain

Yes, click on the radio button next to the green food icon under the city name in the slideout window. It will turn into a red circle, which means avoid growth.

15. joncnunn

It's still a potentially good spot to take over settler building duties; and still needs a Granary, Harbor (if possible), Commercial District, and most likely an Industrial Zone.

16. AmtrakQuebec

AmtrakQuebec King

You know that place by the other place...
    I would say the best way actually is to use internal trade routes to get lots of extra food.

Edit: Oh and if you have jungle or marshes, you can always clear them for a one-time growth boost.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    jakedamus likes this.
  17. joncnunn

The extra food won't do squat while it's suffering from 75% growth penalty. What it will instead need the internal trade routes for is extra production so it can build things improving housing capacity and new settlers.

18. discord_ian

discord_ian Chieftain

I usually just use my fill ins as industrial or extra theater/great work slots.

19. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I play England so harbor district and lighthouse are great and cheap... a bit of gold, housing, food and 2 great admiral points. The +2 gold on foreign continents is great for England.
    Then either a commercial or theater for me.

Uses I have found for small cities

1. Luxuries ( I love the value of trading luxuries and equally the denial to others)
    2. Resources - especially late game resources.
    3. Parks and resorts... little local population, all tourists
    4. Just for more cities. - more pop = more science and those empire points for a points victory.
    5. If a civ is going to declare war on you, give them a close defensible city to attack... it also helps encourage them to war you if on their borders.
    6. More trading posts
    7. More deployment options
    8. Strengthen a weaker religion
    9. In the case of England, for a larger standing army (each colonial city gets a free soldier)
    10. More harbors and therefore more admiral points and trade routes.
    11. Better access to archeology.
    12. More places to put great works.

Downsides

1. More to defend
    2. More to manage
    3. More visibility and therefore slower game turns as more graphics are shown to you.
    4. Increases the costs of builder and settlers more.
    5. More chance of annoying another civ

I'm sure there is more in both categories.

20. Gtdead

Gtdead Chieftain

If it has good farming land, I will spam farms to bring the housing up. If not I will just make granary, monument and commerce district and stop development till urbanization. In the meantime I can use it to train caravans, builders and settlers.