How Do You Feel About Gun Rights?

I may be the oddball Democrat here. But I want the right I bear arms and the right to own a shotgun and a pistol.

Due to the inherent nature of crime in this nation, and the wide supply of guns on the black market, citizens who come in contact with unsavory characters (some of whom carry guns) should have the right to carry firearms in self-defense.

Do i like the idea that this is a necessity in some parts of the US? No. Is there anything at the moment that would render this action unnecessary? No.

I respect that other nations don't let their citizens carry weapons. I also respect that sometimes, carrying a weapon is a necessity to self-protection.

I dislike the term gun, a gun is an artillery piece, rather obvious that there are no retired Marines posting on this thread.

The second amendment seems to be used by people who do not think through what it means.
The right to keep arms, would you be happy with a neighbor with a tonne of 81mm HE and WP bombs in his basement ?
After all a 81mm tube is an infantry weapon.

Why not?

The neighbor has more efficient ways of killing me, anyway.

What reason is there to own a gun other than for hunting?

Militia... revolt, when republic fails or to fight an invasion over the long term...

Since Obama became elected, we need more bullets!

http://blogs.tampabay.com/bizarre/2009/02/bullet-shortage.html

Selling bullets may be the most secure job in Florida as long as supplies last.

After months of heavy buying, gun dealers across the state are experiencing shortages.

Some say it began with the election of President Barack Obama. Others say it's about the economic downturn or fear of crime. Whatever the reasons, ammunition has been selling like plywood and bottled water in the days before a hurricane.

"The survivalist in all of us comes out," said John Ritz, manager of East Orange Shooting Sports in Winter Park. "It's more about protecting what you have."

"Where we used to get 20 to 30 cases [in a shipment], we may get two to three cases now," said Vic Grechniw of Florida Ammo Traders in Tampa. "The supply just isn't there. . . . Everybody is pretty much rushing out to get their hands on whatever they can."

Most in demand is handgun ammunition, including 9 mm and .45-caliber for semiautomatic pistols and .38-caliber for revolvers. Clerks at local Walmart stores, including Apopka and Kissimmee, say those sizes, along with .22-caliber, are on back order at the chain's warehouses.

American gun owners buy about 7 billion rounds of ammunition yearly, according to the National Rifle Association. It has been warning its several million members that Obama favors raising taxes on bullets to make them prohibitively expensive.

"Anecdotal evidence certainly suggests that the demand for ammunition is continuing to increase, and that is certainly attributable to gun owners' concerns with the current administration," said Ted Novin, a spokesman for the National Shooting Sports Foundation, a trade association representing 4,700 members.

Militia... revolt, when republic fails or to fight an invasion over the long term...

The key difference being that the arms carried by a government to quell a revolution in this day and age can not be met by the local populace.

Most people didn't think the American terrorists would stand a chance against the seasoned British Army either.

WOLVERINES!

I lived in NYC for 13 years where possession of handguns is illegal unless you have a permit, which is virtually impossible for most people to get. It is by far the most dangerous place I have ever lived.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan_Act

Most people didn't think the American terrorists would stand a chance against the seasoned British Army either.

WOLVERINES!

:lol: yes, Red Dawn, the ultimate in right wing gun clutching masturbatory fluff.

How does today's modern gun owner of something like an M-16 stand a chance against a tank?

The only way a revolution happens in today's modern world where there is a clear technological disparity between the military and the rebels is when the military lacks the will to kill their countrymen. Keeping them at bay with your gun isn't going to decrease this will, especially if you shoot first.

How does today's modern gun owner of something like an M-16 stand a chance against a tank?
The same could be said for the Mujahideen in Afghanistan or the Baathists in Iraq, right?

Apparently the Iraqi insurgency didn't get that memo.

I've heard that the US military has some kind of rules of engagement, a code of conduct of some sort.

I, on the other hand, wouldn't have the patience to deal with armed civilians - terrorists, basically - and would likely go Israeli on them.

Well I suppose you could have an armory for when you need to become a militia. I like this idea better than everyone being able to own AKs and bazookas and stuff; handguns and hunting rifles should be able to be owned privately, but really, who needs the heavy stuff unless you're fighting a war?

Having centralized depots would just make quashing the rebellion that much easier.

I've heard that the US military has some kind of rules of engagement, a code of conduct of some sort.

I wouldn't have the patience to deal with armed civilians (terrorists), and would likely go Israeli on them.

Even then, if you could pull a Palestine against the invading force, you'd have the entire world condemning you. Do it for long enough and you could even get away with shelling the population centers of the invading armies.

The same could be said for the Mujahideen in Afghanistan or the Baathists in Iraq, right?

Willpower. The other side is not willing to commit atrocities to destroy them. Or when they do it just bolsters support for them. See, it's a fine line that you have to walk in putting down a revolution...

Also, who is more successful, Ukraine or Afghanistan when it comes to revolution? Who's revolution is no longer a work in progress? And who are we more similar to?

Even then, if you could pull a Palestine against the invading force, you'd have the entire world condemning you. Do it for long enough and you could even get away with shelling the population centers of the invading armies.

I don't plan on annexing any of their territory and making the conflict long-term though. :mischief:

The point is, civilians should not be doing any fighting where it could prolong an occupation, where it would create even nastier consequences.

Though if this happens in the United States, I doubt Americans would want to use their own countrymen as some kind of meatshield to offset the invasion..

I'm all for gun rights for the individual protection against the individual assailant, I just think the idea that it is to enable the protection against a foreign nation or our own government are just ridiculous.

If our military can't handle a military invasion, then we are in way deeper than a rifle or handgun would help. The foreign invader theory seems exactly like what Red Dawn is; a fantasy to be a hero, nevermind the circumstances that allow such a scenario to happen.

And the revolution and protection from the government is also ridiculous for the reason mentioned above.

Have you ever played Civ?

In CivII, i've seen barbarians with stone clubs take over my tank-fortified city :lol:

Top Bottom