1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you feel about the Southern Poverty Law Centre?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Abaddon, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

Do you have an opinion on the SPLC? What are your reasons for this opinion?
    Please, think before you hit the post button. CFC is a forum for discussion.

2. Karalysia

Karalysia Deity

They're awesome, they do good work, and I hope to work for them or similar organization one day not so long into the future after getting a law degree. I encourage all to donate to them.

3. kosiosko 1

kosiosko 1 King

until recently i hadn't heard of them , but their web site is good with links to many like minded groups, we could probably do with more organizations like this globally

4. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

I think they need some better PR...

I've never heard of them, never supported them and have no opinion of them.

But if they seek to help people, I guess that's nice.

Why are we talking about this again?

5. Karalysia

Karalysia Deity

They really do all their stuff in the US. Against the various Klan organizations, Neo-Nazi's etc...

6. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Yeah, I've never heard of them either. But a quick perusal of wikipedia would suggest that they are a very good organisation. Burden of proof lies with those who would think otherwise (if such people exist, although I'm guessing that's the point of the thread).

7. Babbler

Babbler Deity

People who usually attack the SPLC are rasists in denial of their rasism.

8. amadeus

amadeus Bring back the Civ2 theme!

Shills for leftism and increasing government control.

9. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Citation needed. Burden of proof and all.

10. Karalysia

Karalysia Deity

They evilly force their civil rights and tolerance down Americans throats. We have a right to beat black people dammit!

11. Miles Teg

Miles Teg Nuclear Powered Mentat

I respect them. I can understand Conservatives hating on the ACLU or similar groups, but to my mind the SPLC are simply good folk.

12. Kraznaya

Kraznaya Princeps

This; the people on the forum are good examples.

13. Erik Mesoy

Erik Mesoy Core Tester / Intern

I dislike the SPLC because it's tending towards "a solution looking for a problem". It can't downsize gracefully or admit that anything has improved, so it manufactures bogeymen, hypersensitively takes offense and screams "racism" whenever someone contradicts their perceptions. It runs a business of white guilt and black complaint.

You may remember my linking to this Rushton&Jensen stuff previously.
    Unsurprisingly, the SPLC hates the authors. But it hasn't been able to rebut them, so instead it asserts, in a nutshell, that studying race differences turns you into Hitler and that R&J will turn America into Nazi Germany. This type of argument by contradiction, flaming and assertion it then refers to as "fighting hate". Because it's apparently "hateful" to be anything else than a Liberal Creationist who believes that evolution stops at the neck.

14. Smidlee

Smidlee Deity

In another words it's a butch of lawyers. Lawyers make their living off of conflict and law sues. If everyone lives peacefully a lot of lawyers would be out of a job.

15. wicshade

wicshade crazy, militant farmer

The SPLC has a bias when it comes to whom they will fight for. Example is a Church being vandalized by homosexuals. The SPLC would more likely defend the gays committing the hate crime then the church.

It is obvious when the SPLC is supporting tolerance that they have an agenda. I have not to this day seen the SPLC fight for tolerance towards Christians.

16. bigdog5994

bigdog5994 Lady Day

i love em

17. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

I respect the SPLC as well, but I really don't understand the ACLU hate. After all, they merely protect private citizens from illegal governmental and private/corporate acts according to the Constitution. I would think any conservative would be in favor of that. Both organizations are really trying to accomplish the same thing, but their focus and methodology are a bit different.

18. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Yeah, I keep wanting to ask which part it is that they hate. The American part, or the Civil Liberties part.

19. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Erik, I notice a large % of your posts seem to be ones where you claim that some specified racism either doesn't exist or isn't a problem.

Can you give some examples of problematic racism you know of in the world today?

20. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

Sounds like they do some good work watching out for violent offenders. I wouldn't put it past any non-profit group to be not guilty of illegal harassment, however.