How do you feel about the Southern Poverty Law Centre?

Abaddon

Deity
Who is the Southern Poverty Law Centre?

http://www.splcenter.org/

The Southern Poverty Law Center is a nonprofit civil rights organization dedicated to fighting hate and bigotry, and to seeking justice for the most vulnerable members of society.

Founded by civil rights lawyers Morris Dees and Joseph Levin Jr. in 1971, the SPLC is internationally known for tracking and exposing the activities of hate groups. Our innovative Teaching Tolerance program produces and distributes – free of charge – documentary films, books, lesson plans and other materials that promote tolerance and respect in our nation’s schools.

Based in Montgomery, Ala., the birthplace of the modern civil rights movement, and have offices in Atlanta, New Orleans, Miami, Fla., and Jackson, Miss.

Do you have an opinion on the SPLC? What are your reasons for this opinion?
Please, think before you hit the post button. CFC is a forum for discussion.

They're awesome, they do good work, and I hope to work for them or similar organization one day not so long into the future after getting a law degree. I encourage all to donate to them.

until recently i hadn't heard of them , but their web site is good with links to many like minded groups, we could probably do with more organizations like this globally

[...] SPLC is internationally known [...]

I think they need some better PR...

I've never heard of them, never supported them and have no opinion of them.

But if they seek to help people, I guess that's nice.

Why are we talking about this again?

Yeah, I've never heard of them either. But a quick perusal of wikipedia would suggest that they are a very good organisation. Burden of proof lies with those who would think otherwise (if such people exist, although I'm guessing that's the point of the thread).

Yeah, I've never heard of them either. But a quick perusal of wikipedia would suggest that they are a very good organisation. Burden of proof lies with those who would think otherwise (if such people exist, although I'm guessing that's the point of the thread).

People who usually attack the SPLC are rasists in denial of their rasism.

They evilly force their civil rights and tolerance down Americans throats. We have a right to beat black people dammit!

I dislike the SPLC because it's tending towards "a solution looking for a problem". It can't downsize gracefully or admit that anything has improved, so it manufactures bogeymen, hypersensitively takes offense and screams "racism" whenever someone contradicts their perceptions. It runs a business of white guilt and black complaint.

You may remember my linking to this Rushton&Jensen stuff previously.
The Black-White [IQ] difference has been found consistently from the time of the massive World War I Army testing of 90 years ago to a massive study of over 6 million corporate, military, and higher-education test-takers in 2001.
Unsurprisingly, the SPLC hates the authors. But it hasn't been able to rebut them, so instead it asserts, in a nutshell, that studying race differences turns you into Hitler and that R&J will turn America into Nazi Germany. This type of argument by contradiction, flaming and assertion it then refers to as "fighting hate". Because it's apparently "hateful" to be anything else than a Liberal Creationist who believes that evolution stops at the neck.

I dislike the SPLC because it's tending towards "a solution looking for a problem". It can't downsize gracefully or admit that anything has improved, so it manufactures bogeymen, hypersensitively takes offense and screams "racism" whenever someone contradicts their perceptions. It runs a business of white guilt and black complaint.
In another words it's a butch of lawyers. Lawyers make their living off of conflict and law sues. If everyone lives peacefully a lot of lawyers would be out of a job.

The SPLC has a bias when it comes to whom they will fight for. Example is a Church being vandalized by homosexuals. The SPLC would more likely defend the gays committing the hate crime then the church.

It is obvious when the SPLC is supporting tolerance that they have an agenda. I have not to this day seen the SPLC fight for tolerance towards Christians.

I respect them. I can understand Conservatives hating on the ACLU or similar groups, but to my mind the SPLC are simply good folk.
I respect the SPLC as well, but I really don't understand the ACLU hate. After all, they merely protect private citizens from illegal governmental and private/corporate acts according to the Constitution. I would think any conservative would be in favor of that. Both organizations are really trying to accomplish the same thing, but their focus and methodology are a bit different.

I respect the SPLC as well, but I really don't understand the ACLU hate. After all, they merely protect private citizens from illegal governmental and private/corporate acts according to the Constitution. I would think any conservative would be in favor of that. Both organizations are really trying to accomplish the same thing, but their focus and methodology are a bit different.

Yeah, I keep wanting to ask which part it is that they hate. The American part, or the Civil Liberties part.

You may remember my linking to this Rushton&Jensen stuff previously.

Unsurprisingly, the SPLC hates the authors. But it hasn't been able to rebut them, so instead it asserts, in a nutshell, that studying race differences turns you into Hitler and that R&J will turn America into Nazi Germany. This type of argument by contradiction, flaming and assertion it then refers to as "fighting hate". Because it's apparently "hateful" to be anything else than a Liberal Creationist who believes that evolution stops at the neck.

Erik, I notice a large % of your posts seem to be ones where you claim that some specified racism either doesn't exist or isn't a problem.

Can you give some examples of problematic racism you know of in the world today?

Sounds like they do some good work watching out for violent offenders. I wouldn't put it past any non-profit group to be not guilty of illegal harassment, however.

Top Bottom