1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you feel about your country's leader?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Synth, Jul 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evanaurora

evanaurora Warlord

What do we think of them as a leader or as a choice in-game? LOL.

Teddy Roosevelt's... policies... re: US imperialism.... I'm not a fan. To put it mildly. That said, I'm happy it's not the slightly obvious Lincoln/Washington, I guess.

2. evanaurora

evanaurora Warlord

I'm curious.... what are you defining as a decisive political agenda??????? she was a key player in the Catholic/Huguenot conflicts of the day, and certainly had a decisive personality.

3. Civbra

Civbra Warlord

Nice to see another brazilian here, I'm too, and I have to agree with you on that! I understand that the dev team choose Pedro II - he is not the worst - but Getulio Vargas or Jk, in my opinion, should provide a lot of new ways to play with Brazil!
    Especially because the theme of the game is the expansion era!

4. durfal

durfal The Dutch Daredevil

You presume that there is a leader for every civilization :rolleyes: in Vanilla.
    Since I'm Dutch there is no leader yet, at least if the portrait E1 is (and stays) Philip II. So not happy about that, but to be honest I wasn't expecting one in Vanilla :lol:.
    But since I didn't expect other European (based) civilizations in Vanilla either I'm a bit bummed. I have to wait until an Expansion or DLC I guess and in the meantime download a mod or make one myself :).
    If the Netherlands comes I expect William of Orange again but if they want to change it up and have another leader I would take Prince Maurice of Orange (his son and a General during the 80 years war) and if they want a female leader I would choose Queen Wilhelmina but Maurice would be my first choice after William.

5. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Deity

If Catherine de Medicis is confirmed, then I'm unhappy.
    It's putting a woman there because of her sex, and he wouldn't show in the 10 or 20 most influential politicians/rulers of France (I think all of the following would be more appropriate because at least they left a mark on the country:
    Clovis Pepin-le-bref Charles-Martel Charlemagne Hugues-Capet Philippe-Auguste Louis-IX Louis-XI François-I Henri-IV Louis-XIII Louis-XIV Louis-XVI Robespierre Napoleon Napoleon-III Clemenceau Petain de-Gaulle Mitterand Mazarin Richelieu).
    The only thing she's associated with in popular culture/memory is the slaughter of the St Barthelemy, which she was unable to prevent. She was a woman of influence, but not enough influence that she actually had any effect on the country.
    So, definitely, she should not be ruler of France in civ.

6. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I'm a Washington fan (as you could probably guess), but I'm just bully about Teddy.

I really like that they've added more unique attributes and seem to have put a lot of effort into making each civilization play differently.

7. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

I am happy with Victoria. Though she never was actually a ruler, simply a figurehead, that does not matter; all she needs to be is a big, bold, figurehead to represent the greatest achievements of our nation. And considering the progress the British made in all sorts of fields during her reign long reign, the large scale expansion of the British empire, and how iconic a figure she is (I'm fairly sure she is the best known queen in history, possibly the best known monarch of either gender as well) she definitely ticks that box.

Not French, but I very much agree with this, and though I posted this in another thread, perhaps it is more relevant here:

8. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

I agree with this. She's a solid choice, she's just not my favourite. Of those three 'usual suspects' I'd have much preferred Elizabeth, but the odds were never good with her having been featured in Civ 5. And if multiple leaders are added for England we have some great medieval kings who definitely tick the 'big personality' box: Henry II, Edward III, Henry V, maybe even Henry VIII - the biggest personality if them all!

9. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

What do you think about Joanne d'Arc?

10. Phalanx300

Phalanx300 Chieftain

I'm afraid the Dutch will not be featured in the base game. In which case I suppose the Holy Roman Empire through Frederick Barbarosssa becomes the next closest thing.

11. DarthStarkiller

DarthStarkiller King

Pedro is obviously by far the best leader in the history of Brazil, and it doesn't bother me at all that he is in, but I wish they had chosen Vargas to make it more different from Civ V.

12. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

I'm fairly sure that these reactions will be shared by many French players. Even if most like the choice, if say 40% hate it, that would be bad for sales. Better to choose a ruler that all can respect, such as Louis XIV.

13. Liex

Liex King

I'm very happy with Pedro II. I don't think his inclusion necessarily means that Civ6's Brazil will be similar to Civ5's, since there's nothing in Civ5's Brazil that is exclusive or typical of Pedro II's reign.

If we think this through, the Pracinhas are related to Getúlio's government, so Pedro may actually bring some new unique units, like the Voluntários da Pátria (after all, he declared himself the "first volunteer") or the Pará-class Monitors.

If they want to move away from a culture/tourism oriented Brazil in favor of trade/resource/territory bonuses, Pedro is just as good as any other leader.

Even the graphic representation of him don't need to be similar. Judging by the reference in the leader board, I'd say they are going for a younger version of Pedro this time around.

14. robaker

robaker Chieftain

I understand the pressure to include more female leaders and I'm all for it as long as they are historically relevant, but Firaxis should also consider the possibility that by making inane leader choices (such as Catherine de' Medici) just to please a small minority of the player base will end up pissing off the vast majority of the main player base.

15. Firehusary

Firehusary Chieftain

If it's true that Jadwiga will be Polish leader, then I'm more that disappointed...

16. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Hm. So why are Polish players so disappointed with Jadwiga? Was it because of the perception she didn't accomplish much? Isn't she a figure of national renown in Poland? O_o

17. JtW

JtW Prince

I must say I like Jadwiga.

18. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Fairly sure they were never in the base game.

19. m15a

m15a Emperor

You're assuming that the vast majority of the player base will be "pissed off". I don't think you actually polled a significant representation of the players, so I'm guessing that this assumption is based on the idea that most people have the same opinions as you. If so, that makes it a poor assumption, especially when there is a wide range of reactions more positive than being "pissed off".

20. Firehusary

Firehusary Chieftain

It's hard to explain, to be honest. Short answer, it feels wrong. Yes, because of her marriage with Jagiello there was union with Lithuania. She was also very pious and generous, she founded Jaggielonnian University (not sure of its name in English).

But she was also very young. Also... tbh, it's not like she had any power in country. Unless some historian can correct me.

And I feel like there are simply better choices, like mentioned Jagiello, Jan III Sobieski, damn, even Józef Piłsudski, even if he would be controversial as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.