1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you feel about your country's leader?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Synth, Jul 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I don't care to see leaders included as patriotic rallying points, either. Personally, had France's leader been Eleanor of Aquitaine, I would have been mildly disappointed (because I was personally hoping for and expecting Louis XIV), but that disappointment would have been brief because Eleanor was a critical and formative figure in not just French culture but Western culture as a whole. I absolutely agree with your point that finding significant female leaders is worth the effort; Catherine De Medici isn't one of them.

2. Cristoval

Cristoval Warlord

As a Sumerian living in Ur. I think Gilgamesh is a great choice.

3. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

I don't want Elaenor either. Maybe I did not word my response to you coherantly. Anyway, I don't really want to discuss with you further, as I am no longer feeling motivated to do so. All I will say is that if you don't think leader choices help sell these games, then why bother with them at all? Why put them at the forefront of advertisement?

I can't persuade you or anyone else here though, so if this is a debate, I would have to admit I lost it. It is evident bassically no one here agrees with me on this, so there is little point in me continuing to argue this.

edit: Also, I did not want to offend people, just discuss the topic, and am sorry that I have done so. Did not think I was 'breezing over' others arguements, just addressing them with my own opinions.

4. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

I'm American and I never play America. I prefer Napoleon for France and Lizzy I for England, but not in a way that will diminish my pleasure of a great game.

5. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

You guys have computers? Who knew!

6. Xandinho

Xandinho Emperor

I agree with you, I like Pedro, in my opinion, he is the best leader to represent my country. I hope that Brazil follow a bias different civ 6, as Pracinhas were related Getútlio Vargas, it is likely we will not see them again, or maybe in the future with occasional inclusion of Getulio Vargas.
    As you said, I also believe that we will see Brazil more focused on obtaining resources now, or the country may come with some unique resources to the trade bonus.

Anyway, I'm anxious to see how Firaxis will make Brazil this time.

7. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

I rarely played America in V but I did like FDR's traits in IV. Teddy looks like fun though.

8. zwei833

zwei833 HRE Mercenary

Regarding the Polish leader, I just want all the leaders here, in an official release.

I'm not greedy, am I?

9. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

I love that mod! Last Sword's Russia, Japan and Ottoman collections are also awesome.

10. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Emperor

Eleanor Roosevelt is a great American and did a lot for the country but I feel like making her the leader of America would be a bit ridiculous. It would be like making Martin Luther King Jr. or Benjamin Franklin the leader of America. They all accomplished great things and had a large influence in the America of today but it seems silly when there are actual presidents to pick from. Maybe I'm just crazy though.

11. VermelhoRed

VermelhoRed Prince

How about 'The largest and most proeminent country that represents Latin American culture/civilisation'?

12. illathid

illathid Chieftain

Meh, I'd rather there weren't any colonial civs at all, America included (and I say that as an American). They'll always be turned off in my games so I'd rather the resources be put towards something that'll see use in my game.

13. VermelhoRed

VermelhoRed Prince

That's fine, that's your personal preference. ;)

14. Acken

Acken Deity

I also am among those that dislike the choice of De Medici.
    No epicness, bathed in controversies, no lasting accomplishments from a political standpoint (not that this is her fault considering both camps wanted each other dead) and she's not even French on top of it. She improved a few castle, birthed 3 kings and tried for some peace.
    She is arguable still among the most notable queens of France but that is mostly a reflection of France system more than anything.

I just freaking don't feel excited while an excentric Louis 14 or a heroic Joan would have made me happier.

15. Makenshi

Makenshi Ahoy, ye salty dogs!

C'mon, she can't be worse than ultra-boring Elodie in CivBE, can she? :lol:

As for my country: hell yes, Pedro all the way; he could be the perma leader of Brasil in all civ games until the end of time. Getulio is the 2nd best and I hope to see him if more leaders are really a thing in Civ6, but no way he'd ever be my 1st pick.

I know I have no right to talk other nations [thus, sorry by the following], but it is rather interesting how, unlike Americans, we brasilians usually see FDR as a badass US president [our view usually is that he beat the 29 crisis, lead the US in WW2, had great synergy with Churchill, etc], while Teddy is not so appreciated [seems just another imperialist; smarter and subtler than the european bullies of the time, yes, but still not a likeable person]. I don't mean to offend or stir discussion, our view is probably biased by FDR's ties with Getulio [plus the rather international focus he got due to the events faced in his admin] and lack of more info on Teddy beyond his big stick policy [his admin seemed more US focused]. It is just interesting how our view is so opposed to yours [which obviously holds more weight, they're US presidents after all].

16. Hannibal XIII

Hannibal XIII Warlord

I'd prefer Lincoln, or Washington, to that bloviating imperialist TR.

Ultimately, my dream leader would be Dick Nixon :D

17. Makenshi

Makenshi Ahoy, ye salty dogs!

You should play Fallout 2, there is a Mr. Nixon doll!

In-game item description: "You see a small doll with a big red nose. For some reason, you don't trust this seemingly-innocent child's toy" :lol:

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Prepare to be Menaced

I am not a crook, ARRROOOOOOOGH.

that's a lot of Teddy hate from the commie Stalin avatar.

I would much prefer Teddy as he's an awesome leader and person, and we've already had Washington who is great, and Lincoln well nothing wrong with him but I think Teddy is better for this iteration.

I am also American so i very much like Teddy, just not how fat they made him.

19. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Emperor

Well I'd say Democrats in the US think FDR is a badass but conservative Republicans hate his social policies and increase of federal government involvement. I think you may be right that for America, Teddy was a great president in terms of increasing US influence and breaking the trusts which had begun to hold so much power in the country. Internationally perhaps he wasn't quite as influential but I do remember that he was the one to broker the peace between the Russians and Japanese in their war so he didn't ignore the world outside of the US

20. Calyxx

Calyxx Warlord

I think most Americans (myself certainly included) rank FDR among our best presidents ever. Winning WWII was kind of a big deal, and there is no debate he was an amazingly effective politician.

His legacy is somewhat mixed because he expanded the role of the federal government so much, but overall I think very positive. Most Americans would say that he was a better president than Teddy, but while FDR could be considered a badass president, to use your formulation, Teddy would be considered a badass as a person.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.