1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you feel about your country's leader?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Synth, Jul 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plasmacannon

plasmacannon Emperor

Teddy Roosevelt is a new choice. I don't have a problem with him.
    It looks like his face is fatter than normal, but that might be the cartoonish style they were going for.
    I am disappointed that there appears to be only 1 leader per empire.
    In Civ4BTS there are up to 3 leaders per empire and several mods increase this to 6 or 7 leaders.
    President Polk was added recently to the Realism Invictus mod.
    Polk enlarged the U.S. by gaining all lands west of the Louisiana Purchase, practically a third of the continental United States.
    Teddy Roosevelt charged up a hill, without horses. Yea, we got Cuba (and Puerto Rico for that matter), yet set Cuba free. So we gained very little.
    So to me there are other Presidents that accomplished more and deserve more attention.

2. von_Wurttemburg

von_Wurttemburg Chieftain

Bararossa is good enough. Though what I hope for is a Emperor of HRR from the Habsburg house.

And I'm happy that we're finally get rid of the boring Bismarck.

Hope we can get rid of the boring Panzer UU, too.

3. darko82

darko82 Emperor

Leaders are chosen by personality, not achievements. So look at her saint personality.

4. GermanSettler

GermanSettler Warlord

Glad about Barbarossa.

Was fearing we get Bismarck again... hoping for an interesting German civ now.

Friedrich Ebert would have been my preferred choice. But Barbarossa is fine.

5. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Deity

Catherine is a bad choice from my point of view because, to a modern frenchman she's mostly an unknwon italian queen. She does not feel French at all, was not a ruler by herself, only a regent, and not a very strong one at that : she couldn't prevent St Barthelemy, which was likely the future Henri III's doing and is the only thing people know about her regency. She certainly was a better ruler than the image that we have of her, but that does not matter in my opinion. I want an epic ruler and she just totally fails at being that while there are tons of better choices.

6. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Deity

Jadwiga is... okay. As far as female leaders as a whole go she is very good (the standards for those are way lower though due to the apparent diversity quota), but for a Polish leader she is just okay. Sobieski/Batory/Mieszko/Casimir/Pilsudzki and her husband Jagiello are superior and more easily recognised but at least she can be credited for something, is known in Poland, a saint and not bad. Jagiello did almost everything she is credited for but she is still okay and had some influence.

While suboptimal, she is good and can make for a great leaderhead. Definitely not Maria the Mad tier which was the worst pick imaginable. That leader is so bad the goat-sounding narrator guy actually incompetently attempts to list her negatives and flaws as positives. Running away from an actual great leader and being a reason for Portugal losing a colony listed as good things? In what world? Is there seriously nothing else they could've found about her?

Jadwiga is also far better than Theodora who was just a prostitute half her life and a mere wife for Justinian, who funnily is definitely not the best Byzantium has to offer himself, the rest. Or Boudicca who led a rebellion and failed in every possible way, but at least in her case there's no Celt better known (except for Gauls Asterix and Obelix) so she is actually the best choice.

Jadwiga is also superior to Catherine de Medici. Seriously. She is not only a bad choice in almost every way but not even French. She's an Italian, IIRC descended from some merchants/doges. Yeah, I know, some previous examples of that like Catherine OF RUSSIA who was actually theoretically German exist but her accomplishments were really awesome and, well, the bloodlines of European superpower monarchs were so intertwined in the end it doesn't even matter - a German/Prussian king had the same blood as one from Russia or England, so whatever.

7. JtW

JtW Prince

Jadwiga wasn't Polish, either.

8. isau

isau Deity

I for one wish they'd drop the "leaders" thing and wish they'd go with simply "avatars." I think by sticking to leaders we end up with some really dry characters.

So based on what they had to pick from, I think Roosevelt is fine.

What I'd really want that I think sums up "American-ness" better than a leader though? Elvis Presley. And the unique building should clearly be a fast food outlet.

I'd also love Joan of Arc for France, Scheherazade for Arabia, Socrates for Greece, King Arthur for Britain, and so on. Characters that cartoonize national character. Ghandi, Dido and a few others already fit this tone.

Overall I just think this game is best when it acknowledges how ridiculous the whole scenario of the USA starting in 4000 BC is.

That said, I do think the animation they gave Teddy, and exaggerating his weight, speaks to American national character in a humorous way I can appreciate.

9. BornInTheLoo

BornInTheLoo Warlord

Only tablets...

10. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Deity

Nope, she was partially Polish - her father had, besides Hungarian, Piast blood IIRC. Even if I'm wrong, she had achievements of her own too, and was not a one-time affair - her father ruled Poland too so we can call it a dynasty.

She was also an actual queen and not just a regent

11. raen

raen Coat of Arms

The question is, Portugal is in? Never saw Portugal in first release maybe this one is diffrent?

Isabella of Portugal? maybe for holy roman empire?!

But I am happy for Pedro. And If afonso is there Im happy too.

12. Bast

Bast Protector of Cats

Queen Victoria, the best! We have two Australian states named after her: Victoria and Queensland. Queen Victoria Desert, Queen Victoria Building so on.

13. nunor

nunor King

You win :lol:

14. Homusubi

Homusubi Lafcadio Hearn Wannabe

I didn't know much about Tokimune before I researched him after the Civ announcement, but I'm perfectly happy with a Kamakura-period shogun representing Japan (especially seeing as all the Tokugawas were used simultaneously in Civ 4).

I really do like that Firaxis has managed to create a Japan which references both ancient and modern culture while not going on about the damn war.

P.S. When Tokimune was announced, I was pretty worried that people would start pronouncing his name as TOAK-ee-moon instead of the correct TOK-ee-MOON-ay (or toh-KEE-moo-nay, Japanese doesn't have strict stress rules). It looks like everyone has started calling him Hojo here, which solves that problem.

15. Acken

Acken Deity

Hardly a good benchmark. Elodie fitted a ultra boring game 😆

16. Ezumiyr

Ezumiyr Warlord

I would be pleased if Catherine de Médicis is confirmed for France.

I expected Louis XIV, but I wished it would be Richelieu. When I saw the "leaked" picture, I thought it would be Henri IV, which would also be an interesting choice - but Catherine is a nice choice too.

I'm glad it's not Napoleon, who hasn't really an unanimous support for french people (he's not a choice as terrible as Joan of Arc*, but still).

*Seriously, what are people thinking ? So you really want to see this half-legendary, half-instrumentalized figure, who wasn't even a ruler, to represent France ? Even Charles le Fol (the Mad) would be a better choice.

17. djm_jm

djm_jm Warlord

I want Vargas for Brazil.

18. Gangrin

Gangrin Warlord

Peter the Great as leader of Russia is good, very good. I am kinda interested in his agenda though. "Hates leaders with beards"?

As for Medici - i am excited, really. But i am a fan of Alexandre Dumas, so yeah, my opinion is biased as hell.

When i heard about "big personalities" my first thought was "Ok, it's Frederick the Great for Germany. I love you deeply Bismark, but you cannot beat Old Fritz in that regard". And then WHAM Barbarossa. I was... astonished to say the least. Oh well. At least we can guarantee that Germany will not have bonuses to crossing rivers

19. Calyxx

Calyxx Warlord

Out of curiosity, why do many Germans seem to find Bismark boring? Is it just because of the way in which he was represented in Civ V?

From the perspective of an American, at least, Bismark is a great choice. He essentially forged modern Germany through a mixture of politics and highly focused warfare. I imagine him as a Talleyrand/Kissinger type figure, except with actual power.

20. Ikael

Ikael King

As a Spaniard, I would be fine with either Isabella or Philiph II.

Isabella is the founder of my country, and she wasn't an iconic figure like Queen Victoria, nor a popular yet ultimately defeated one like Cleopatra. She called the shots, she stomped her enemies into oblivion, and she shaped history to her very own will. Not a "powerful woman"; but a powerful ruler by her own right, period.

Philiph II is also undoubtely an influential figure, for he ruled the Spanish empire at its apex. That being said, it is kinda sad that he became to represent our "black legend" and the worst fanatical aspects of Spanish Catholicism. His father, Charles I, ended up being remembered as a far better ruler, and we have had another far more enlightened monarchs that would be pretty good contenders for the ruler spot (Charles III and Alphonse X the wise comes to mind).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.