1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Feel When You Vote?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zardnaar, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

As the title says. Are you bored, excited, invested in the outcome, trepidation etc. Do you regret the vote later?

Out of 8 elections I've voted 7 times. The one election I didn't vote was a landslide and the person I would have voted for won.

1/8 elections I voted for the wrong party and not so much regretted it but thought not again.

Most if the time is the die is cast the chips will fall where they fall.

There's a polling station about 5 minutes walk. All schools are voting stations here and each suburb usually has one. Elections are usually on a Saturday.

2. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

I always feel good after voting, it’s like turning in completed homework for a class you care about.

3. PhroX

PhroX Emperor

Frustrated. Because I know full well that, due to where I live, my vote was meaningless thanks to FPTP. I'll keep voting, as I know it's the right thing to do (and the polling place is only a few minutes walk away...), but damn if it doesn't feel like I'm completely wasting my time.

4. Oerdin

Oerdin Deity

Dirty. I don’t like either option. It is a lesser of two evils sort of situation.

Socrates99 likes this.
  5. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

Oh I don't know. About like I feel when I sweep the floor I guess. The polling place ladies are better company though.

cardgame likes this.
  6. rah

rah Deity Supporter

IT's a duty, so I feel like I do when I complete other duties.

7. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Usually pretty good after voting.
    Frequently more than a little frustrated when the results come through.

tjs282 and cardgame like this.
  8. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

Saw it as a waste of time. As the main party's ranks are filled banking puppets, aspiring war criminals and maniacs.

So in local elections, I just voted for one-man-party MPs who wanted to help disabled workers or prevent the closure of a local hospice.

I felt satisfied at helping at the people level, and not being polluted by voting for sociapath Tory/Labour/SNP.

9. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Frustrated. Not only at the candidates either. Even voting on law has packaged garbage that's completely unrelated to each other. That's such obviously bad practice for determining what the voting population wants that it belongs in a parody, not an actual real-life document that can actually pass (and did).

But it isn't really about what the voting population wants. Voting between candidates that want to take my freedoms away with different priorities for which particular freedom and in many cases on joke laws or nonsense packaging leaves little beyond a sense of frustration and futility.

10. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

It's a duty. I have to do it, but it's not inconvenient.

hobbsyoyo and Hygro like this.
  11. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton How much Parmesan to put on your umbrella?

Satisfied. I think of myself as a cat I pet while I say "Goood citizen. Goood citizen"
    Though I actually kinda stopped voting. Couldn't be bothered anymore. It is just too plain clear to me that I can not make any impact with my personal attitude or decision or action, so anything I do, I would do for myself. My identity. My ideology. My sense of duty or whatever. But for the cause itself, it would always be entirely for naught. Absolutely pointless. It is like a parade. For you, on the personal individual emotional level.
    And.. I can also stay home or do something else.

12. bernie14

bernie14 Filter Manipulator

I feeeel good

Hygro likes this.
  13. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

I feel alright. It's worth doing, I feel like I at least contribute at the ballot box then as well as time/money, and the place I go has amazing chocolate chip brownies for those who vote.

Hygro likes this.
  14. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I feel good about it but I was far less enthusiastic when I lived in Southern Illinois/Missouri and the people I voted for always lost and most of the initiatives went the opposite way that I wanted.

Last year I got to help unseat my first elected official and that was just awesome. The only initiative I cared about that I lost since moving here was a ban on the death penalty but Governor Newsom declared a moratorium with the intent to permanently end the death penalty as soon as he took office. He got grilled by the press about undoing the will of the people and he shot back that his job was to lead and that he could not lead and abide by things he considered grossly immoral. It's a nice contrast to the White House at that.

Hygro, AmazonQueen and Socrates99 like this.
  15. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Kinda gross and kinda good.

I often feel like I've done a good civic duty. That's good. State ballot proposals are the best aspect of voting imho. Direct democracy that reflects the will of the people. Wish we had a similar structure on the federal level. Would cannabis be illegal still? Would we still be in Afghanistan? Etc.

Im just not excited about my options very often and my district is deep blue because they lumped Bay City, Saginaw and Flint, all cities with GM plants, together to avoid people from those cities ruining the surrounding red districts so my vote in that respect is sorta pointless. Our rep is kind of centrist and useless. How many people have heard of Dan Kildee in connection to the national attention on Flint? Nobody? Wouldn't be a shock. Same goes for the senators and governor. Getting that mess fixed should have been top priority.

16. Leifmk

Leifmk Deity

These days? Spite, mixed with a tiny bit of hope.

17. Leifmk

Leifmk Deity

These days? Spite, mixed with a tiny bit of hope.

18. Patine

Patine Deity

I was very enthusiastically behind Jack Layton Federally in Canada for the four elections he ran in, until his tragic and untimely death. However, since I couldn't bring myself to vote for Mulcair, his successor as NDP leader, as he was so horrible, I ended up voting for Trudeau in 2015, because the Snake, Harper, had to go either way. I ended voting returning to voting for the NDP under Singh last month, but I had a sinking feeling, moreso about the whole election results themselves. I am very glad I didn't live, and was not eligible to vote, in the United States in either 2004 or 2016. Such monstrous choices between two absolutely horrid candidates each would have been an awful strain on my moral fibre - let alone any positive feelings about actually voting.

EDIT: Fixed VERY important typo I'd overlooked.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  19. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I feel like I've fulfilled a legal obligation. There is some sense of satisfaction in ordering the candidates or parties from, like, 1 to 40, but apart from that it's kinda like doing your taxes - a thing you're required to do in order to avoid a fine, which you fundamentally support as an idea, but is a bit tedious.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  20. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Justice guaranteed

For reasons involving several coup d'etats and a very long immigration process, I've only ever voted once in my life. And, felt pretty good to be honest.

Even if the election didn't produce the preferred result (and it didn't for me) there was still the feeling that I mattered as a person and as a citizen. And my voice as officially registered on this one and only occasion had the same weight as that of every other voter, whether young or old, rich or poor, male or female or whatever.

It's about dignity as much as it's about deciding who governs, perhaps more so.

Hygro, hobbsyoyo and AmazonQueen like this.
  21. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I wonder how election results in the US would change if we had compulsory voting.