How do you get Europe and Japan to colonize?

siredgar

Warlord
I'm talking about the AI only.

On real world maps, the European civs and the Japanese never seem to do a good job of expanding to the New World. The English don't even settle Iceland! Japan just keeps attacking the Korean Peninsula, but don't bother to settle Southeast Asia, Siberia, or Alaska.

When I played previous versions of Civ, they did a pretty good job of colonizing overseas. But what gives? Is this just G&K? Maybe Civ V?

Is there any way to get these civs to expand OVER THE SEA?

Right now, I am playing the Koreans and I have taken over the Russian Far East, Manchuria, Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii, and all the islands in Southeast Asia and the South Pacific.

Japan has only Kyoto. The Celts, starting on Britain, just barely settled Ireland in the 20th century.

The patch will improve AI colonization'

Until then it will still be mediocre for the most part. If the water is shallow between areas - civs are more likely to settle across gulfs I feel

The patch will improve AI colonization'

Until then it will still be mediocre for the most part. If the water is shallow between areas - civs are more likely to settle across gulfs I feel

I agree. In my game Spain is fairly close to North Africa, and Spain has been colonizing it like crazy. I hope the patch does improve for more long distance colonization. One other point, about the 'Into the Renaissance' scenario. Hopefully the new patch helps AI caravels go to the New World. Instead of just using them as warships.

This wasn't on a real world map, but I remember a game on vanilla where Napoleon went way off somewhere and founded a city way away from his homeland across the ocean.

Top Bottom