1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

how do you grow your cities as Supremacy??

Discussion in 'CivBE - Strategy & Tips' started by Gokudo01, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Gokudo01

Gokudo01 Emperor

i've got a really hard time to get medium size tower while playing supremacy.

Purity has got farms.
    Harmony has got Super Xenowell + many food buildings.

But Supremacy, i can't just catch it : How do they grow without going for Purity or harmony techs ? Biowell ?

2. Zet

Zet Warlord

Weather Controllers.

3. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Emperor

My guess would be Farms + Ectogenesis Pod + Weather Control Satellite. Or just spam the good ol' Terrascapes everywhere.

4. Gokudo01

Gokudo01 Emperor

Ectogenesis Pod is not really on my early tech path ;)

yes weather control but you will need many strategic resources and sometimes they are missing around your starting zone.

5. Bandersnatching

Bandersnatching Warlord

I think the lack of major food bonuses is supposed to be one of Supremacy's weaknesses. Think about it: they get better generators and lots of increased energy yields from techs, building quests and wonders, because they care about a well-maintained, high-output power grid to support their research that inevitably uses large amounts of energy. They want to create true AIs and replace their bodies with technological counterparts, which use electricity rather than food. They are eventually disdainful of all biological existence. Why would they favor increasing food output after all of that? There are other, more important concerns to focus their efforts on.
    But this is the strategies and tips forum, so: I grow my cities mostly through excessive use of internal trade routes. I think they are incredibly effective at growing cities and aiding in their rise to relevance, and so only use external trade routes when I really need the money or my science is weaker than everybody else. Internal TR are powerful no matter your affinity, and you can still build normal food buildings if you want. You probably won't reach the same max size as Harmony cities but as a Supremacy player you'll have other things going for you.

6. omniclast

omniclast Prince

Internal trade routes, biowells, weather controllers.

Also be aware that one of the main reasons your city is not growing is likely because you have unhealth, which means the governor is avoiding high-yield food tiles to stop growth. This happens even when you are on food focus. If unhealthy, you have to manually place every citizen to ensure growth. It's a horrible bug, but you'll see your cities grow much faster if you start doing it.

7. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

cel cradle quest, biowells, nanopastures, and just because you are going supremacy doesn't mean you shouldn't tech biospheres

8. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

Yeah there's nothing stopping you from getting vertical farming. There's no bonus for having all your points in one affinity

9. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Emperor

Agreed about Affinity variation. There can be large benefits to having 1 Purity and 3 Supremacy no matter which Affinity you're following.

10. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

In my last game I was very much going for supremacy and got to 18 but I still ended up with 6 in purity. Not needing floatstone for units meant I could use it all for LEV plants. Earth still emancipated.

11. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

Well... splashing other affinities makes all the following affinities you pick up more expensive. If you take purity as your first affinity and want to go to sup 13, it requires 12 additional xp to go there. This matters if you aim for lowest possible finish times with the affinity victory conditions.

12. Toranth

Toranth Chieftain

Your "Dominant" affinity is only determined by which one hits Level 6 first. Before Level 6, they're all equal.

13. Strategist83

Strategist83 King

This.

Supremacy is the warmonger affinity. They get bonuses for Mines and Generators, both of which are 'aggressive' improvements (versus 'peaceful' improvements like the Farm and the Biowell). They are "aggressive" because these improvements give you high short-term benefits but none on the long term, meaning you have to do something with them quickly or you will fall behind other factions. The more militaristic wonders are also on the Supremacy path for a reason.

So, how do you get food to grow your cities? You go conquer your opponents' cities. Other than that, your options really just amount to stuff like the Academy, which again gives you slightly longer term benefits, but not as long-term as the food-bonuses Harmony and Purity get.

The other option is simply to go very wide - lots of smaller cities, fueled by trade route spam. Eventually, though, you'll run out of space and have to start conquering.

14. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

What I mean is that taking affinities of one type, say Purity, makes future affinities of all types more expensive. So if you decide you want to go to Supremacy level 13, getting an early point in purity means you need a higher XP in Supremacy than you would if you didn't take the early Purity level. Normally, level 1 Sup costs 11 XP, level 2 12, etc. If I take Purity first, level 1 Sup will cost 12 XP, level 2 13, etc. So you pay an additional XP for every level, which will add up, especially for an early splash.

15. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Are you sure that is how it works.

I thought it was

Dominant Affinity pays 1 price (regardless of any non-dominant affinities)
    Non-Dominant Affinity pays a higher price (regardless of what level the dominant affinity is..as long as it is higher)

16. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

Hmm... honestly, I'm not quite sure, no. I'll check it out in my next game.

17. Toranth

Toranth Chieftain

It looks even more complicated than that.
    Up to Affinity Level 3, the prices seem to be all the same. Once you hit Affinity 3, the highest Affinity you have becomes your Dominant Affinity.

After than, each additional level in your non-Dominant Affinities costs 2 more per level beyond level 3. So while level 3 costs 13 points as normal,
    level 4 cost 16 (14+2),
    level 5 costs 20 (16+4),
    level 6 costs 23 (17+6),
    level 7 costs 26 (18+8),
    level 8 costs 29 (19+10)

18. Japper007

Japper007 Prince

Why would you want to?

There is very little significant benefit to going tall (which is pretty sad), unless you take all those 0.25 X per pop virtues.

If you really feel like you have to grow tall, then build nanopastures and use internal trade routes. There's also a rather cheap Purity leaf-tech (don't know the name, sorry) that gives 10% growth in all cities.

19. S.K. Ren

S.K. Ren Prince

I did an experiment game as PAC where I rushed Terrascapes and Weather controllers for my three core cities and my capital and second core city did alright. The extra culture also helped get Ecoscaping and Eudamonia (in that order). Just gotta be careful when you assign 8 workers to make Terrascapes that you'll have the 48ept to maintain them when they finish.