How do you guys play Civilization online?

shadowzoid

Chieftain
I've always wanted to do it, but I always fear that it'll take so long. I mean, playing alone takes me all day, so I can't even imagine how long it would take if I had to wait 5 minutes for each player to do his turn. How does it work?

I've always wanted to do it, but I always fear that it'll take so long. I mean, playing alone takes me all day, so I can't even imagine how long it would take if I had to wait 5 minutes for each player to do his turn. How does it work?

Personally I only play Civilization IV multiplayer. Over the years we have developed some ground rules -- Always play on "Timed Turns" (preferably set to short :)). We often play in the same room, and when we do so we have the standing rule of never talking until you have ended your turn. always play with Simultaneous turns.

When we play over the internet, we do it with Direct IP. After you set it up it works flawlessly even with old dogs (a few of my friends have tired Pentium IVs) and we can play on huge worlds with many opponents.

I offer you my mod that has been built from day one with multiplayer in mind: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15192

exactly as it implies. With Timed Turns on, when the turn begins everyone in the game has approximately 2 minutes to finish their turns -- you can throttle the length to your liking.

Simultaneous is the only way to play multiplayer -- I would agree if I had to wait on all my friends to finish their turns one after another, it would be a complete bore. All actions are simo so as you are moving and fighting, so to is everyone else. It works rather well except in some rare situations.

Yes Simutaneous Turns are the best compromise between a standard TBS mode and a RTS game. There are still turns, but all players take their turn at the same time within the time limit of the turn. So the turn moves on when the last player finishes the turn or the timer expires which ever comes first.

CS

what are some good gaming sites to play civ 4 multiplayer

Well as linked in my Sig, you can check out Civplayers leagues, www.civplayers.com

And the MP sections of SP Fansites like here and at Weplayciv have different levels of MP games being played. It all depends on what kind of MP games you are looking for.

CS

This thread was very helpful to me too. I'll have to try this civplayers.com site. Anyone know a good place for a semi-noob Noble to play at? I'm not pro and don't need my ass kicked on the first day.

So timed turns? Sounds like the route, be happy to share a game with some people.

If you are interested, and have time at hand, you can send me your skype and as we (I mean me and 3 of my friends) play a game every week or two, if it happens that you are online too, you can join. We play small maps with a lot of interaction, and the level is not too high, so you can learn some things or at least have some start with MP. We even play without turn timer, so you will have time to chat and take your turns.

If you are interested, and have time at hand, you can send me your skype and as we (I mean me and 3 of my friends) play a game every week or two, if it happens that you are online too, you can join. We play small maps with a lot of interaction, and the level is not too high, so you can learn some things or at least have some start with MP. We even play without turn timer, so you will have time to chat and take your turns.

I'll try and remember to send it. Assuming you're stateside, I'm 6 hours ahead here in Germany.

League games are not all for "pros" there are lots of noobs at Civplayers, in fact that is how most of us started. So try just coming into the BTS lobby and ask if there are any league games starting for new players. Those will be mostly FFA/Ctons or duels as competitive team games are somthing that new players should try unless the host advertises it for noobs. That is simply because most experienced players don't want to take a chance on losing for the actions of a new player. Something that is understandable.

CS

Yeah I looked at that too, might be signing up to the site soon.

The main problem with Civ4 in multiplayer is the amount of units being moved in the late game. It's a nightmare :D And of course the first big stack of doom wins the game... :)

Well that is why we tend to play smaller maps, so that less units are required. But Civ5 should be a change for that, yes moving individual units may take more time, but there will be less units to move in total.

CS

I'll try and remember to send it. Assuming you're stateside, I'm 6 hours ahead here in Germany.
We are in East Europe, so only +1 hour time difference.

Ahhh, roger that. I'll get it to you eventually.

Top Bottom