How do you imagine a future utopia?

Kyriakos

Creator
1677958124745.png

This is only about a better future (anything up to a utopia) :)

I like to remain optimistic, though I may very well not be alive by then (eg if it happens in 100 years ;) )

I think that a massive number of life-ruining problems can and will be dealt with. Which will provide much-needed boost to reshape society into something less antagonistic and polemical.
Ultimately, this will have to be based on breakthroughs in medicine and somatic/mental wellness.
Currently, not only are such problems unsolved, they also often enable a race to the bottom and faction antipathy. But in a war between avatars, the human already has lost.

Oh well, if all else fails, maybe there will just be life-support on virtual reality, and then you should hope there never are any power failures ^^

:yup: A virtual lucid dream is a sure fire way to remove all conflict

I don't.

We've spent all these millennia trying to achieve it. And we do keep relieving problems that previous generations faced. But that in turn creates new problems. And some intractable features of human behavior make me think we'll always have certain of our problems.

When More titled his work, he used a pun (as I suspect you know, Kyr) eu means good (well) in Greek. ou means no. This good-place, I think he was saying, is a no-place.

Technocracy.

Automated production of basic necessities advancing to outpace the needs of mankind as we halt the growth of our numbers. Luxury itens being generalized as we became able to perfectly emulate reality in simulation, thus making everyone live like kings something very cheap.

I see how many would argue this to be dystopia and not utopia, but I'm not a real world snob ;).

Regards :).

@Gori the Grey @thetrooper

Reminds me of a story by Dostoevsky where the protagonist/narrator at first was thinking that while nothing of note exists currently, there were great things in the past and there will be great things in the future.
Then he slowly concluded that there wasn't anything notable in the past either, but there will be in the future.
Finally, he felt that nothing of worth will come even in the future - and that night decided to kill himself ^^

There is none. Dreaming of it may be nice, but it is better to do something today to help someone in need.

I remember this question actually being an assignment in an early college sociology class. I couldn't manage to answer it in the way the instructor wanted, because I don't believe a true utopia is possible.

Humans thrive on challenge, and utopia removes challenge. Utopia implies no struggle, and struggle (so far) is an integral part of the human psyche.

But if a utopia could exist, there would be lots of cats. And penguins.

Automated production of basic necessities advancing to outpace the needs of mankind as we halt the growth of our numbers. Luxury itens being generalized as we became able to perfectly emulate reality in simulation, thus making everyone live like kings something very cheap.

I see how many would argue this to be dystopia and not utopia, but I'm not a real world snob ;)

You've just described Earth in Star Trek: The Next Generation. Nobody wants for anything, other than compassion, as Picard basically rolled his eyes in the episode "The Neutral Zone" and said 'why did you bother' when his crew revived three 20th-century people they found in cryogenic freeze. Picard and Riker made sanctimonious speeches about how superior 24th-century people were because all poverty, hunger, etc. had been eliminated, after chastising Beverly for reviving people who were "already dead", curing them of the diseases that had killed them, thus saddling Picard with the inconvenience of having them on board the ship until they could send them back to Earth. That was the episode in which I realized that while I like Patrick Stewart as an actor, I loathe Jean-Luc Picard for his reprehensible arrogance.

Well, elimination of poverty and hunger and even greed may be true on Earth, and in Starfleet. It wasn't true for Tasha Yar as she starved and struggled on her home colony where the government and society had broken down, or for the colonists and Maquis in DS9. As Sisko put it in an episode of the latter series, "It's easy to be a saint in Paradise".

And as someone who grew up with people who were artistic (my grandmother was an artist with paint and with sewing, knitting, and crochet; my dad was an artist with woodworking, leatherwork, and drawing; I'm a needlepoint artist, working in 2-D and 3-D needlepoint and I've composed music)... I've learned that there are some things a machine just can't do.

@Gori the Grey @thetrooper

Reminds me of a story by Dostoevsky where the protagonist/narrator at first was thinking that while nothing of note exists currently, there were great things in the past and there will be great things in the future.
Then he slowly concluded that there wasn't anything notable in the past either, but there will be in the future.
Finally, he felt that nothing of worth will come even in the future - and that night decided to kill himself ^^
I"m not saying nothing of note existed in the past or will exist in the future or does exist now. Just that in none of those times was there/ is there / or will there be a utopia.

Reminds me of an old Soviet joke: why do they say communism is just on the horizon? Because it’s a place you can see but never reach.

I don’t think there’s any utopia here. Suppose there was a “happy pill” that put your consciousness into a permanent state of the illusion of giving you whatever you want. Would you want to take it? I don’t think I would.

I think things can be improved, but no state of perfection can exist on this planet.

The closest literature depiction of the world I'd like to live in, is the "Noon Universe".
It was quite a long time since I read any of those books though.

The victory of communism and the advance of technological progress on the Earth of the Noon Universe has resulted in an over-abundance of resources and eliminated the need for most types of manual labor.

Mankind is capable of near-instantaneous interstellar travel. Earth's social organization is presumably communist, and can be described as a highly technologically advanced anarchistic meritocracy. There is no state structure, no institutionalized coercion (no police etc.), yet functioning of the society is safeguarded by raising everyone as responsible individuals, with the guidance of a set of High Councils accepted by everyone in each particular field of activity.

One of the controversial occupations is that of the progressors - agents embedded in less-advanced humanoid civilizations in order to accelerate their development or to resolve their problems. Progressors' methods range from rescuing local scientists and artists to overthrowing local governments.

The main governing body is the World Council, composed of the brightest scientists, historians, doctors and teachers. Local matters are handled by the regional versions of the council. Planetary councils are present on each Earth colony (e.g. Rainbow), as well, although "colony" in this context refers to a planet that wasn't home to any sentient life before the arrival of Terran settlers. In the Noon Universe, Earth has never attempted to seize permanent control over any other civilization.

The universe is populated by a number of sentient races. Some of them are humanoid, while others are so alien that humanity didn't realize that they were sentient for decades. Several sentient races maintain diplomatic relations with Earth's society. Many planets in the Noon Universe are inhabited by races identical to humans in all but minor genetic differences. It has been speculated that they were humans who wound up on other worlds due to the manipulations of the Wanderers (as Beetle in the Anthill shows, that is hardly unprecedented).

The Wanderers are the most mysterious race in the Noon Universe. Technologically advanced and highly secretive, the Wanderers are suspected of manipulating sentient beings throughout Noon Universe for their own purposes. While those purposes remain unclear, it is hinted that they try to "progress" various sentient beings, including the human race.

I'd like to know why every utopia involves me living in some city with cathedral-style buildings of glass.

Like, what would a farmhouse in a perfect world look like?

I can't see any future scenario that is an improvement (aka Utopia), unless some drastic measures are taken to combat and reverse climate change.

All other challenges our grand children will face, will pale in comparison.

Top Bottom