1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you name your cities?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Spiceweasel, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Spiceweasel

Spiceweasel Chieftain

I'm curious how everyone chooses the names for your cities. Do you use the computer's default? Draw on your own knowledge of history? Name them after past girlfriends/boyfriends? Make up silly names on the spot?

I don't suppose it matters at all in a single player game. I'd imagine that in multiplayer, you'd want to be careful not to reveal info about your city through your name.

2. johncross21

johncross21 Chieftain

i tend to name cities after english towns with some geographic relationship to the map so hull in the north etc -then there are coastal towns like portsmouth and industrial town like sheffeld. helps me get my bearings

3. SonicX

SonicX Chieftain

When I do change the names, in half of my games, I change them to point to their location on the map and I changed the spelling a little to sound more like the nation I'm playing :)

My capital usually is "Capital City" (Capitalum, Kapittelstadt, Qaphitzal, ...)
    The rest is a reference to the location like "West Point", "East Cape", "Oasia", "Forestiers", "Midway Mountain", ... or childish translations that are readable in English.

4. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

I use the default, it is easy and quick.

5. jray

jray Chieftain

In single player I name the cities according to purpose/location and update the names as needed. For example, I'll have War Machine, GP Farm, NE Science, SE Science, Cash Cow, and Holy Tao. Then when I see messages about events occurring in various cities, I can recognize and decide things more quickly.

6. Garand

Garand Chieftain

I take pride in building my cities and growing them, so I name them after friends and family, usually with an historical twist.

For instance, my name is Christopher, so my capital is always Christantinople.
    My best friends Ian and Aaron - Sanctus Ianus, Aaronheim or Aaronopylae.
    My girlfriend Stefani becomes St. Efani.
    My friend Will = Willexandria or Willadelphia

I've gotten pretty good at coming up with modern or historic cities and fitting names into it.

7. hgthechinese

hgthechinese Chieftain

I generally leave most default, but if I build a new city later for a specific purpose (generally to grab land or culture attack others) i'd name it Culture Attack or Land Grabber or .....every once in a while....AYBABTU

8. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

I usually use the defaults for the first few cities, as they're usually universally familiar names. Same with cities I capture.

If I wind up founding several more, however, the names get more obscure and it becomes very hard to remember which city is which. This depends on the civ, of course, and my familiarity with the names of its cities. The same goes for the more obscure names of captured cities. In those cases, I'll change the name to something that identifies the city to me--its geographic location, resources, specialization, or some combination of those things.

One of my all-time favourites was a coastal city on a desert tile with two resources nearby that I named "Ironclam Flats". :D

9. SonicX

SonicX Chieftain

I always rename captured city as a trophy of war. It's fun when playing Rome to rename Tokyo to Togaius, Moscow to Moskavium etc

10. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Chieftain

I usually just use the default names, but a few times I've branched out from that. Most recently, I named all of my cities after significant locations in Arthurian legend (e.g. Badon Hill, Avalon, Camlann, Camelot, Joyeux Garde). In Civ III, several times I named cities after landscape features (e.g. The Golden Hills, Wine Lawn, Arbor Falls, etc.)

11. Matty R

Matty R Veteran Newbie

I use city names from the real-life history of that particular Civilization. I change the order of the city names in the XML files, so I get my favourite names first. :)

12. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

Usually default, though sometimes I'll switch to using names from my own fictional nations. Depending on the nation, I'll sometimes use varying names from the real-life civ according to geography.

13. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Chieftain

How do you rename cities?? I don't know how...............

14. Matty R

Matty R Veteran Newbie

Go into the city screen of the city you want to rename, then click on its name at the top of the screen. :)

15. PimpyMicPimp

PimpyMicPimp Regrets His Username.

In every game, at least one city ends up with the name 'Pimpingrad' :p

Also, if I play as a Civ with really hard to read/pronounce names like the Aztech or Incas, I might rename some of the more important cities to names I can remember. Actually, that goes with most civs for me. It's hard to remember if Hamburg is your science city or production city...

16. Yaype

Yaype Me

I've been going with the default pretty much my entire Civ-playing "career." But lately I've noticed that I've had a bit of trouble remembering my decisions about the purpose of a city. I may have to do what many of you are doing and put the purpose in the name of the city.

17. Pikkis

Pikkis Chieftain

Me too. I like default names! :)

18. Swedishguy

Swedishguy Chieftain

My name is Erik. In CivIII I used to name cities "Erikville", "Erikstad", "Eriktown" and other sick names. When I started playing Civ4 I have alöways used default.

19. Jonah Vark

Jonah Vark Chieftain

Here's where I out-dork you all: I usually play the Greeks, and have been known to go so far as to keep a reference map of the Classical Greek world on hand so that I could name each of my cities according to how closely their geographical or topographical characteristics resembled real 5th Century Greek city-states. Or else I name them according to their specialty (e.g. Sparta for war/production, Athens or Corinth for culture...).

Bonus embarrassing confession: I also religiously re-name my leader "Pericles" and my civilization "Athenian," and will continue to do so until BtS comes out for Mac and I can actually play as the great Strategos himself.

20. Spiceweasel

Spiceweasel Chieftain

I'm not sure you win the dork award. Yours is scholarly. Personally, I use a program I wrote to generate random names based on US Census Bureau city/town names and names out of Greek mythology.

Well, I do that sometimes. Sometimes I just pick a theme and go with it: Beatles songs. Friends' names. Types of candy. Programming patterns. Arbitrary adverbs.