1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you play civ? Cheats, mods, scenarios, maps

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by civvver, Aug 17, 2017.

1. civvver

civvver Deity

It seems like most players here use bug/bull mod and regular map scripts for big and small, hemispheres, terra, fractal or continents. I pretty much never play like that.

I use full of resources mod which you can customize how much resources are on a map, up to every single square or none, or anywhere in between. I do something like 30%, so a normal city will have 2-4 food, 2-4 luxuries and a production one. My gp farms will sometimes have 5-6 sea resources plus wet corn lol. I just find it more fun, your cities get gigantic, everything comes faster. I actually think it helps improve the AI because one of the biggest weaknesses of the AI is city placement and improvements. With this mod you basically can't build a bad city, though the AI certainly tries to, and you can't screw up improvements like not building enough cottages when you have 2 gold and 3 corn nearby. So in general just from observing the AI seems to keep up better with this mod.

Another thing I have done is changed my xml for some resource improvements. It just always irk'd me that putting a watermill or a town on something like silk netted you better yield, or how farms were better than plantations on sugar cus more food and very little commerce lost. So I made like silk plantations produce a hammer as well since that seemed logical to me that silk would be some kind of industry, and made sugar plantations produce an extra food so you wouldn't just farm them after biology, same with spices, hey people eat spices! I don't remember all the exact changes, but it plays better to me where resources are on much more equal footing beyond just the first for happiness. Cus in bts spices, silk and sugar kind of suck compared to like gems and wet corn.

I also play with a ton of extra civs. I use a 34 civs mod so you can have up to 34 civs. On a huge map I usually do 20-25. I usually play hemispheres with 2-3 continents and some islands. You end up with nice pockets of civs, it's a little more interesting than terra.

So that's about half my games. The other half I play Giant Earth Mod all the time. I LOVE this mod. If you haven't tried it you should at least once or twice. I did some playthroughs on it posted here a long time ago. I did a brazil game and a israel game.

It's an extra huge map of the earth with 34 civs all in historical locations, most of the regular civs in civ are included and then extra leaders are given new civs. So like zulu is in south africa, egypt is in egypt. Gilgamesh and sumer are converted to David of israel and start where israel is on earth. There's no ottoman empire, instead mhemed is turks and start in like northern asia, and suliman is the mughal empire west of india. That's just a couple examples.

The map has a ton of other changes too an absurdly abundant terrian so a civ like france in europe with only 3-4 cities can keep up with china and india who probably have 3 times as many but not as dense resources.

It's a very fun map and not balanced at all, which is kind of the charm. You pick a European civ and axe rush everyone and you just run away with the game. I have won on deity easily. Or you can pick Australia all by their lonesome and struggle to contact anyone til astronomy with awful land. I'd need to play like warlord level to win that!

2. salty mud

salty mud Deity

I play exclusively now with the Legends of Revolution mod, and I can't see myself returning to vanilla. The features it adds - namely, revolutions, new techs, new units, few new civs, Legend units - are too much to give up now. It feels like how Civilisation IV should have been.

It's immensely satisfying to build up your empire with your rivals, only to see their empire implode because of religious strife and seeing new civilisations arise from the ashes. It's not uncommon for these new civilisations to go on to dominate, either.

It also changes the way the human plays the game. REXing is very different now, since keeping your research rate below 70% leads to "financial instability," pushing your cities towards rebellion. Hoarding religions is never good, as non-state religions will feel oppressed and cities with them will cause trouble. Religion spread is also vastly overhauled, so that later religions spread much quicker and also even to cities that already have a religion. This gives every religion a chance to shine. No more continents separated by Buddhists and Hindus.

Most of it is very well balanced as well. The worst balanced part is definitely the Legend units - imagine wonders, but in unit form. I'm talking classical era units with 8 :strength: with 100% against melee units kind of unbalanced. They cost a hell of a lot to train, but still, it's pretty crazy.

3. IIHAAETTEAAHII

IIHAAETTEAAHII Warlord

LoR is quite something indeed. I don't think the legend units are too powerful - they most of the time lose in an open battle against an equivalent (in hammers) mixed stack. It's still very fun to play, and the combat mechanics are really enjoyable too.

4. Randy Random

Randy Random Chieftain

BAT mod, Standard Size, Standard Speed. Usually Emperor but if I'm feeling frisky I'll play on Immortal. Almost always pangaea, sometimes inland sea or fractal. No events. Usually play with huts on, random leader. I also have no shame in re-rolling starts or replaying turns if I mess up.

5. H_a_a_k_o_n

H_a_a_k_o_n Chieftain

Totestra Map, Huge, Marathon. No mods, BTS. Prince level. Thats my perfect level, gives me the perfect gameplay of how i want to play/how good i am. Sometimes i win, sometimes i loose.

I am sad that there is no other new games for me that i like. I always come back to Civ IV. I am old and the game is old...together we still have a lot of fun :)

6. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

Always Marathon, specially adjusted to make science take far longer. Always on large (large, huge, whatever) maps, often on maps of our world. Usually with civilisations I made myself (from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, from Lord of the Rings, from 1984, from Grand Theft Auto, from Deus Ex, from Borderlands, from Rayman...). So, with my own mod (you can see it in my signature) - which changes a ton of things aside from adding so many civilisations; an extremely detailed civic system, overhauled tile improvement (they all grow like Cottages do and gain increased yields based on technologies), revolutions (as mentioned above), and ever so on. I've added a few units (Pirate, an ancient Privateer, Galleass, a medieval ship, Bombard, an upgrade for the Trebuchet, and Soldier, to serve as defending units in the modern area, while Mechanised Infantry attack cities and Tanks attack units outside of cities), a few technologies (Trade, Fermentation, Navigation, and Westphalianism, on top of my head), and a handful of buildings (primarily so that resources yield no happiness or health, but require these buildings to do so; Furs yield happiness with a Market, as in the original game, and with a Clothier). Many units and buildings are changed, though. But I like to keep to the spirit of Beyond the Sword - not adding ten thousands of units or buildings - while deepening the game's complexity.

Reg Pither likes this.
  7. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Epic speed, aggressive AI and unrestricted leaders/religions, on huge maps (usually Big&Small or Pangaea) with a couple of extra civs. I like to war a lot.

8. millahnna

millahnna Mouse

Legends of Revolution (which is the whole reason I just can't get used to any of the newer incarnations, I miss the dynamic of finding the new world fully populated), Blue Marble, Bug mod, and SMart Map (must have flood plains on grassland).

9. PsychopathicWarmonger

PsychopathicWarmonger Warlord

I usually play at Normal or Epic speed on normal or semi-large maps through my BAT mod. (there is a planet generator mod I discovered too).
    Disabled huts, random events, vassals and spies return to nearest cities.

However reading more about this Legends of Revolutions mod, this sounds like something I really want to try.
    I'm'a download and see what it's like. :D

millahnna likes this.
  10. millahnna

millahnna Mouse

It's amazing. I truly enjoy Civ V but I always miss the dynamic games you can get with LOR. Since I always use smart map, I start the game as "tiny" so that I start with only 3 civs but use the map size override to make a map that's actually fairly large. By the time I've met most of my neighbors, there will be 10 or more civs instead of the just the 3 I started with. Then I check the options for barbarian world and minor civs (you'll see when you get into the LOR readme stuff). It's really hard and half the time I get wiped out (which auto switches me to a different in progress civ). When you get to the new world, depending on how you set up the ini type file for LOR, it will be fully populated. It completely eliminates the problem of feeling a little uncomfortable with how barbarians work due to real world history stuff. It's frigging awesome.

11. PsychopathicWarmonger

PsychopathicWarmonger Warlord

I had a play around with it yesterday. I love the new units and techs aswell as the graphics but I find the Revolution aspect of the game to be very difficult to work with.
    Juggling revolutions aswell as happiness and research is tough.
    That said, it's a pretty cool mod to play on, it's like what would happen if Firaxis updated BTS the same way they brought Vanilla to BTS.

12. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Yeah, LoR is pretty good. Not too much added to overwhelm but enhances BTS nicely and some hero units too. You can turn off Revolutions easily in Options. It's part of the DCM mod component. I turn it off as well.

13. Reg Pither

Reg Pither Warlord

Me too, with science weighted against later techs even more, so very few of my games ever get to aircraft or tanks. On Extra Huge maps (40 x 25). BAT mod, raging barbs, events on, huts on, all tech trading off, time victory off.

need my speed likes this.
  14. salty mud

salty mud Deity

I exclusively play on epic. However I have been tempted in the past to play on marathon, so maybe I'll try it someday. Within two evenings or so of an epic game I'm into the Renaissance or industrial eras.

15. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

Emperor/huge/marathon/no events. If playing a civ that start with hunting, will turn on huts. Otherwise, no huts. Usually, but not always, continent style maps.

16. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

LoR with revolutions disabled. Oversized random maps, usually, Epic speed. All the random stuff (events, huts, barbarian civs, choose religions) on. No tech brokering, no vassal states, permanent alliances on. Anywhere from 18-28 civs depending on how ambitious I’m feeling. I usually play a level or 2 above my comfort level (Monarch-Emperor, so I play on Immortal) but thoroughly cook my starting location with WorldBuilder. That way, it’s almost impossible to get off to a bad start, but it’s much harder to run away with the game if I get ahead, than it would be on, say, Monarch.

-OR-

K-Mod. I like K-Mod’s AI a lot, but I find the base BtS tech tree, units, and options a bit dull, these days. Large maps, Epic speed. K-Mod is strictly a Monarch (or lower) level game for me.

-OR-

BBugAI modded to allow oversized maps.

17. Macksideshow

Macksideshow Prince

IMM/Standard/Epic/No huts. Better Bug AI. Usually Fractal but also Big/Small, Terra, Custom Continents at times. Usually add 1 more AI than default but will also go with default or take one away. I pick my leader but leave AI random. I will re-roll maps a lot, and reload to fix mistakes in my planned strategy (ie I forgot something) but don't reload to take advantage of revealed intel. Ok, sometimes if my attack fails miserably I will reload but usually that's a rage quit.

18. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Forum Buzzkill Super Moderator

Noble to Monarch (depending on how I feel that day), Epic speed, normal sized world with about 8 civs; Fractal, Lakes or Continents map. I play with random civ and leader selection, and have random personalities turned on.

Mods I use are:

BAT 5.0
    Better BAT AI 3.0
    Leaders of Varietas Delectat (in either of the above mods)
    BAT/BBATAI Civ packs (Poland, Hungary, Australia, Cuba, Native Americans, Polynesia, Scandinavia, and the Ceilidh pack)

19. ArchGhost

ArchGhost Prince

I use BUG only. Uninterested in the graphical aspects of BAT and BULL/BUFFY change some things I don't agree with.

My common settings are
    Noble/Monarch (been trying to move up recently)
    Normal Speed
    Normal Size
    Shuffle, Pangaea, or Fractal (basically I like anything except those crap tons of islands maps, they annoy me :p even if GLH is godly on them)
    Tropical (love that green land, and I like jungles; they add strategic tradeoffs and keep Iron Working from being a "NEVER self-tech it" thing)
    Low Sea (more land)
    Permanent Alliances on (hey, if you can win by AP and vassal guys, then why not join forces with a very good buddy you worked hard to form a relationship with?
    Events off (more trouble than entertaining, and overwhelmingly negative overall)
    Huts on (Civ Rev was my first Civ game, they are a crucial part of the experience IMO even if it's random/luck whatever)

Though if I have a lot of free time, or want to play something a bit more epic feeling, I'll play Marathon/Huge 18 civs on something with one landmass (Pangaea, Inland Sea, Rainforest) and turn off Domination. I've found as many players said that Marathon is a might bit easier; warrior rushing is very powerful when the AI isn't cheating and given free archers like on the higher difficulties, and they take forever to do anything, so you have plenty of time to find them and overpower them if they're close. However it's quite time consuming; 200 turns in I can have wiped out 2-5 civs with warrior rushes and I'm STILL not ready to tech hard yet because there's so much land to fill, I'm still grabbing a wonder or two, etc. As a fan of RPGs and the grind, it's quite satisfying to see all that time-consuming work put in paying off later in spades though.

20. TheNoseKnows

TheNoseKnows Chieftain

Where do I download those versions from? I see you have links in your signature, but they are only for BAT 4.1 and Better BAT AI 2.1.