How do you play if Boudica is next door in a OCC?

Semmel

Large Sid Meiers Collider
I was trying OCC on Emporer lately.. and I seem to have bad luck .. or im just not good enough. It happened to me twice now, that Boudica was next door and.. yeah, pretty much owned me. In the first game, I was her first target. She got me pretty early, not much that I could have done other than go out right military and loose the game on the long run. In the second game, I was more lucky, she killed me around 1800. I had a decent number of Wonders and was well in tech, but she just decided I had to go and .. *pufff* I had no chance with her in Diplo, I gifted her stuff now and than but didnt help. Is there a trick how to deal with her?

I put the second game here if someone wants to play it:
emporer, fractal, normal speed, no huts, no random events, all victories activated and I used BugMod.

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    35 KB · Views: 36
You have to build defensive units! ;)

Usually :gold: isn't too much of a problem with a 'traditional' approach to OCC. Even though you're probably in Pacifism and paying for your units, your city's running costs will be low and you'll be reaping a little :gold: from the Palace and those two 'darn' Great Artists that you popped and merged into your city. So a big defense and maybe a couple of assault units will keep you alive if diplomacy won't.

Better yet, if you can stick a Fort on a Forested Hill just outside your BFC, you can stall your aggressor's attacks before they start messing up your workable tiles.

It's a pain though. Much better to be surrounded by Hammurabi or Wang Kon (etc.), and share Bureaucracy as a favourite civic, and lead a jolly happy life while you tech' your way to space, than have to fend off Montezuma's (or in this case; Boudica's) massive stacks of old units.

Get her to pleased somehow. I guess since it's one city challenge you can't build a settler and gift her a city but you can still gift her tech or share religion.

Or you could bribe her to war with someone to keep her busy.

Building defensive units is the last resort, especially on higher levels.

Prioritize alphabet and currency. These two techs will allow you to manipulate the ai in a variety of ways; they'll inevitably beg and demand techs/money from you which you will of course agree to and they will allow you to bribe them into war with one another.

Get her to pleased somehow. I guess since it's one city challenge you can't build a settler and gift her a city but you can still gift her tech or share religion.

Or you could bribe her to war with someone to keep her busy.

Building defensive units is the last resort, especially on higher levels.

What about Monty being next door?

Well I played it out to a space victory in 1936. Bit slow but Pacal isn't great for an OCC. I didn't build any more units until the ship was sent off.

Spoiler :

Luckily Hattie founded Hindu and spread it to me and Boud. Once CoL was in I sent the missionary to Sury so he adopted Conf. Only one war on our continent was when Boud declared on Sury. Later on he adopted Hindu along with Stalin.

By trading resources/shared religion (even after Boud went into FR)/defensive pact/gifting techs/mutual war bonus against charlie/not refusing any demands except war with Sury managed to keep her at pleased/friendly most of the game

If Monty is next door, see if you can get into his religion. He gives a lot for shared religion (+6 I think) so he can be gotten to Friendly. I think he's the only psycho who cares for religion much. I'd rather have him next door than Shaka, Ragnar or Nappy.

Top Bottom