How do you prefer your steak? Spare no detail

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mrt144, Oct 6, 2017.

1. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

Me? I like how my wife does it in the cast iron skillet using an herbed butter and basting the steak after a nice sear. Prefer it medium rare and like the rib eye cut the most.

2. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

Salt, pepper, fire. Garlic optional.

Basting with whiskey is interesting but I tend to fall back on the basics. Keep it simple and let the meat talk.

J

3. tuckerkao

tuckerkao King

Tender meats for sure, fully cooked with no visible fresh bloods. BBQ sauce is a must have add-on, proper sweet and spicy tastes will be ideal.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  4. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

Well done. That's it.

5. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

I do not eat steak.

Synsensa and metatron like this.
  6. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd You exist here

Ribeye rare or medium rare. NY Strip is a good substitute. Charcoal grill is best, Oven broil is OK too. Salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add sauteed onions and mushrooms if you got em.

7. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Warm it up in water of 30-40 C.
    Broil (not too many at once) or grill it for a short time depending on thickness
    Put it in alu foil and away in cloth or an oven at 50-60 C, my plates already there.
    Broil and hot store more until enough .
    Finish preparing the rest of the meal including the sauce from broiling.
    Combine when ready to eat.
    I ussually drag the steaks for a few seconds through hot butter in the saucepan when broiled just before serving.

I like it that way because you fully control the steak and you get out of the time squeeze when having guests

8. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

:sad::sad::sad: how the hell do you even taste a steak when its slathered with bbq sauce? might aswell eat cardboard..

by the way, the juices are NOT blood. its simply water stored in the muscle colored by myoglobin.

beef is hung for a long time because otherwise.. well, you can probably die from it..

as for the thread: I prefer filet/entrecote/tomahawk on the grill or, even better, sous vide and finished on charcoal.

for sides I like potatoes in any form, green asparagus or beans or brussel sprouts and maybe a red wine reduction, tho a good steak needs no sauce. salt and pepper, no bs.

onejayhawk and GoodEnoughForMe like this.
  9. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

I didn't say anything about barbecue sauce or juices...

10. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

The same way I like my sex.
    Very rare.

11. rah

rah Deity Supporter

cooked

Silurian likes this.
  12. civvver

civvver Deity

It depends on the steak but ribeye is my favorite, followed by a thick filet cut, you know the ones that are 3 inches thick and have the diameter of a softball.

I don't like to use steak sauce so I like a healthy rub of coarse salt and cracked black pepper on ribeye cus it has a ton of flavor in the meat due to it's healthy marbling. Filet is super tender but a little bland flavor wise so I like to marinate with olive oil, soy sauce and montreal steak seasoning.

I like ribeye simply grilled, medium rare, warm but red in the middle. Filet same way but since it's thicker I think it cooks better searing it off on an iron skillet then finishing in the over with a pad of butter on top. Gets smokey though but it needs a little extra fat since it's so lean.

13. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

Sirloin met with my meat tenderizer. Salt+a light dash of Pepper rubbed in. Maybe some olive oil along the fat line to help it along, though not always. When I flip it over, I'll put some butter on top and let it melt in. Always rare.

To go with it, fried mushrooms and fresh bread (may or may not be fried).

14. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

I like some turmeric, I like a few other little ingredients, but I'm not going to tell you how much of each.

15. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

I rarely eat steak but when I do it needs to be well done. No sauces.

16. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I eat steak very rarely anymore, but basically this.

Suggest clarified butter for cooking - higher smoke point so you can get a better sear without filling your place with smoke. Then melt on non-clarified butter while the steak is sitting. (Letting it sit after cooking is super key.)

Kosher salt the night before.

Hrothbern likes this.
  17. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

I prefer my steaks to be made of wood and with a pointy tip, you never know when the mailman might turn out to be a vampire.

Sommerswerd and mrt144 like this.
  18. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

Yeah, that's a good point - clarified butter's smoking point is much better for a hot hot hot pan.

19. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

I eat very little beef, but when I do have steak I like it medium rare with salt and pepper. Akaushi beef is the best. Garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus are the best sides.

20. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Pan seared in unsalted butter, medium rare. Only spices allowed: salt, pepper, and garlic. If you get a really good cut of beef it will only need salt for seasoning. Always ask the chef what they recommend in terms of cooking time (but they will almost always say medium rare I think so just go with that)

Anything covered in sauce and/or well done is not a steak.