How do you pronounce "Gif"?

Hard G or Soft G?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cardgame

Obsessively Opposed to the Typical
The popular file extension that sees frequent use on the internet, .gif, is under attack. Its creator, Steve Wilhite, argues that it is pronounced with a soft G, like the peanut butter brand, "Jif". Many would argue otherwise. Where do you stand?

As in giraffe.

Who cares. Gifs are just an inferior picture format to PNGs. Why would anyone want a gif?

I pronounce it with a keyboard. Seriously, how often does gif come up in face to face conversation?

I pronounce it with a keyboard. Seriously, how often does gif come up in face to face conversation?
It does if you're trying to explain animated avatars or smileys to someone. I spend a lot of time here, but some of my conversations are with people who are literally in the same room as me (besides my cats; I don't tend to discuss online images with them unless they're cat pictures).

When the topic of animated avatars and smileys comes up how long do they stay in the same room?

The same as 'give'.

When the topic of animated avatars and smileys comes up how long do they stay in the same room?
Since you don't use an avatar, I have to assume that you personally are not very interested in such things. Some of my RL visitors are, though, and when they ask me questions, it's rude not to answer.

Since you don't use an avatar, I have to assume that you personally are not very interested in such things. Some of my RL visitors are, though, and when they ask me questions, it's rude not to answer.

In situations like that I find the term "video file" to be adequate. Polite doesn't require specific detail, generally.

Just like the peanut butter.

I pronounce the g in gif the same way I do the g in jpg.

Which is to say, with Tim, that I'm not sure I've ever actually spoken the word at all.

(But I would pronounce it with a hard g if I were to.)

So, bigger question: how do you pronounce jpg?

No, what I mean is how does one pronounce jpg?

I pronounce the g in gif the same way I do the g in jpg.

Which is to say, with Tim, that I'm not sure I've ever actually spoken the word at all.

(But I would pronounce it with a hard g if I were to.)

So, bigger question: how do you pronounce jpg?

No, what I mean is how does one pronounce jpg?

The same way one should probably pronounce most file format extensions. Jay-pee-gee or gee-eye-eff being the current examples. Dot com is an exception, and should probably be a rare one.

spelling these out every time you say them reminds me of the one D ten T joke

Hey, this all reminds me of a puzzle I invented one time.

So at the risk of further hijacking the thread, here's my puzzle:

What's an abbreviation you use (probably at least once a week) that takes longer to say (in syllable count) that the phrase it abbreviates?

Hey, this all reminds me of a puzzle I invented one time.

So at the risk of further hijacking the thread, here's my puzzle:

What's an abbreviation you use (probably at least once a week) that takes longer to say (in syllable count) that the phrase it abbreviates?

If you are speaking an acronym letter by letter in place of the words they represent the only way you can use more syllables than the actual words is if there are dou.ble.ewes in the acronym in place of words of two syllables or less. All other letter "names" are just one syllable so the best they can be is a break even.

Do people say double ewe oh double ewe, or just type it?

Top Bottom