1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you see Civs in Game?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by OnceAKing, Jun 1, 2016.

1. OnceAKing

OnceAKing Warlord

Given the odd stage in a New Civ game timeline. We're absolutely sure what civs should be here and who shouldn't (cough Canada, cough Grand Colombia).
    I personally don't have strong opinions as long as a Civ is specialized to new and interesting gameplay, covers a TSL game, and maybe even a new entity in CIV

But that's not why I'm here. I'm here for the more Macro question. How do see Civs, as structured in game? Do you view them as massive hegemonic and contiguous entities like modern day China? Do you view them as civs that have a wide sphere of influence over other countries ala Great Britain over India and Egypt in the early 20th century? Or do you view them as entities that have soft power influence over a region like the US over South America during the Cold war?

I tend to view Civs on a map as mix between the USSR and Great Britain. Eah Civ city is like it's own country or nation within a wider culture or Empire. How do you guys view the Civs on the map? And what historic civs are an example of that?

2. HorseshoeHermit

HorseshoeHermit 20% accurate as usual, Morty

I view my civ as a burgeoning, homogeneous clan of racists united in fear of my immortal dictatorship.

3. OnceAKing

OnceAKing Warlord

Lmao so no open borders for you I take it?

4. m15a

m15a Emperor

Yes, to all these. But overall, I see a civ in Civ as simply the entity that a player can control. In other words, I don't think a civ has to follow some realworld definition of "civilization". That's not to say that there isn't such thing as a good or bad civ. A good civ is a group the player can imagine in the role it has in the game. (And with unique characteristics, different civs can have somewhat different roles.)

5. Darth Tribble

Darth Tribble Friendly Neighborhood Conqueror

I essentially see them as a confederation of cities with the leader being the most influential of all the leaders in the Civ. The capital is the city the leader rules as governor over while the other cities have their own governors, but the leader is basically a super-governor.

Yeah, I see a Civ as a group of city- states that recognize one governor above all the others.

6. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Another bash/snipe/insult about Canada. Some things never change on these forums. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I see the other Civs as participants in telling a story together. We are all working together to weave a grand narrative. :)

7. Talcove

Talcove Slayer of Spies

Canada should absolutely be in the game. In fact, it should replace the United States. No, it should be the only civ in the game. Civ6 should launch with 20 Canadas. And nobody ever wins because they're all too nice to invade you or let you lose.

8. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

I see each game as an unfolding historical fiction novel and it is the epic struggle of me and my people for peace, prosperity, and happiness, against the other characters moreso than the other civs.

9. OnceAKing

OnceAKing Warlord

I actually don't mind Canada or Grand Columbia. I was just noting they're always in that conversation. If you look at the description of what I want for a civ they fit all 3. I would say that civs like that really have to be high risk high reward though. they should break the mold for a civ like Venice or the Shoshone.

10. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I see it rather similarly. I tend to think less about the other civilizations and consider it more of a game of intrigue and politicking among myself and the other leaders, all vying for power and prosperity. The civilizations themselves are merely pawns in the power struggle. :king:

11. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I do like the creativity involved in designing Venice and the Shoshone. It does make the storytelling a lot more fun. :)

I do hope that they'll continue the creativity in Civ VI. :)

12. Haig

Haig Deity

I see the main civs as Empires,like the colonial powers of Victorian era, everyone hungry for prestige and power, and the city-states as sort of "normal" states like, say modern Sweden, Hungary etc.

And about units, in ancient to medieval era I tend to imagine them being smaller formations, but from modern era I tend to look at them as brigades or divisions. Love the idea of Corps and Armies of Civ 6 btw.

13. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

I also view all Civs, regardless of faction, as Empires.

As for military unit sizes and Civ, they never made sense so I've stopped trying. Civ6 will try to own terms like armies again, and one could rationalise it, but I can expect there to be situations where a player or AI will wield an fighting force that would not be analogous to historical or modern armies.

14. JtW

JtW Prince

Canada deserves to be in the game as much as America does. And if they do add Canada, it should be led by the most important Canadian of them all: Sid Meier. ;)

To answer the question in the OP: all of these, altering through the ages. I don't give it much thought during an actual game but in general, I don't think it likely for an empire to stay the same for 6000 years. So I basically imagine that each civ goes through the stages of empire, association of city states, loose cultural bond, some kinds of federation, etc.

15. masda_gib

masda_gib Warlord

First something OT. I saw it in many threads and will just use this one to ask: What is a TSL game? Oo

And how I see my Civ partly depends on the map. If I have my own big isle I am a grumpy liitle isolationist. But most of the time it's an benevolent empire that has the mission to export its good values (my religion or my culture or my civs colors) to other cities of the world.

16. Felis Renidens

Felis Renidens Prince

I think it changes from game to game, depending on the choices I made in the game. Especially government. At the end of the game I sometime try to see what kind of civilization I created.

17. JtW

JtW Prince

"True Start Locations" - a game on the Earth map with the respective civs starting in the locations where they are in real life.

18. masda_gib

masda_gib Warlord

Ahhww! :crazyeye: Thank you! Couldn't find that spelled out anywhere.

19. Turquoiside

Turquoiside Emperor

And a big thanks from me too, JtW. Seeing that over and over without any context was driving me crazy...

20. JtW

JtW Prince

You're welcome but... How did you manage to be on the forum since 2008 without learning that acronym? :eek: