1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you select the population unit to pull for a worker?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by scogan, Nov 27, 2011.

1. scogan

scogan Chieftain

I have a city that is multi-national. Womeone wrote that if you want to build a worker or a settler, you could choose your population unit or units that will be forfeited to build the worker or settler. In my case I want it to be a foreign national population unit. I do not know how to choose it. Does anyone know how? I have tried to take the population unit off of a production square but it did not pick it it picked a population that was of my nationality.

2. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

I have not heard of that. AFAIK the worker or settler is determined by the percentage of each culture type in that town.

3. scogan

scogan Chieftain

That is what I thought but I read it here in the Civ 3 Info center. Go to index section under Nationality. The person writing it even wrote in bold Ethnic Cleansing. Check it out they may need to change that.

4. tR1cKy

tR1cKy taking over the world

i'm not sure about it, but nationals should be pulled out first.

5. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

I believe that when building workers and settlers, the most recently added pop points are used.

If you are starving cities, there's a small chance that a foreign national might die.

6. Raliuven

Raliuven Emperor

Well, unless they are ALL foreign nationals. :p :lol:

I've always found that if there is a native citizen available, a worker build will always create a native worker (which seems to agree with what Bartleby is saying). Never paid much attention to settlers, though.

7. PaperBeetle

PaperBeetle Emperor

^ That's my experience too, and I'm pretty hardcore about enslaving my entire foreign population. :devil:

8. bonefang

bonefang Emperor

2 nights ago, i captured a 9 pop Rome. right after that , everyone got unhappy.... I slapped the citizen to give me a settler. The one that come out is called a Barbarian Settler ?!?

I am not too sure, it was 5am and i hadn't slept :)

9. del62

del62 Deity

I think a mixture in the two pop gives a banarian, one native and one roman,

10. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

If the Maya had ever owned Rome, they may have added barbarian workers.

11. CKS

CKS Deity

I don't think so, or I'd have seen a lot of barbarian settlers. Plus, if it works this way, tR1cKy's Save the Mongols game (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=222020) is doomed. He has done some testing about which nationality the settler is.

Were there any units that enslave in the game? Enslaving a barb gives barbarian workers, which can be joined to cities and then give barbarian settlers, but I've never seen the AI join workers to cities.

12. del62

del62 Deity

I have seen barbarian settlers (definately on vanilla), this happened when I rushed a settler in a captured city that had grown.

13. Raliuven

Raliuven Emperor

You get barbarian settlers and workers in Vanilla all the time. You also get the crazy 'symbol' type settlers in Vanilla after a civ is destroyed. After a while the game (Vanilla) either forgets or stops tracking the true nationality of workers/settler from 'lost' civs and they all just become barbarians/symbols. Although I hadn't really paid attention to it, I thought I got barbarian settlers if the city (in Vanilla) was producing the settler from citizens of a nationality that had been destroyed.

This stopped in PTW but is back again in C3C. I didn't realize it was because of the Mayans, but that makes sense. I thought it was from a worker popped for a GH or something.

14. tR1cKy

tR1cKy taking over the world

My testing was specific to what happens if cause your city to be auto-abandoned in the interturn by producing a settler while the city is size 2 with zero growth, so it does not necessarly applies here.

What i've seen happening is that if the city has one native and one foreigner, the produced settler will be a foreigner (it 'absorbs' the native). But i don't know what happens if you produce a settler the normal way, in a city size 3 or more with both natives and foreigners, though i suspect that the produced settler is a native and native pop units are popped out first.

EDIT: moreover, my testing was specific to the PTW version. For what i know, C3C may be a different story.