1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you use Sea Dogs to capture ships?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Stringer1313, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

Subject line. I can't figure it out.

2. Magil

Magil Monarch

I haven't confirmed this personally (haven't actually played a game as England yet, despite my avatar), but posts on reddit suggest that the Sea Dog's supposed ability to capture enemy ships is just flat-out not functioning currently.

3. Mr. Shadows

Mr. Shadows Nomad of the time streams

Wow, that's demoralizing. England's bonuses would be a lot of fun if sea tile and naval units were more important, but as it is the game doesn't encourage us to use either. This goes a step further and makes their UU completely irrelevant. On paper I want to like England's bonuses but this game doesn't give you a lot of incentive to unleash their naval power.

4. ShinigamiKenji

ShinigamiKenji King

Never played as England myself too, but I think someone already posted that they had a massive fleet thanks to that.

If it works like Civ V's Privateers, you need to destroy it using a Sea Dog. Then that unit comes back under your control.

5. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

I specifically did this yesterday--destroyed the unit with a Sea Dog--and nothing happened.

6. Mr. Shadows

Mr. Shadows Nomad of the time streams

Did you only destroy one unit or several? Was it a naval unit or an embarked land unit? I'd expect the ability to have a chance to succeed, so that it will work a given percentage of the time, but I wouldn't ever expect it to work on a land unit. At least, that's how the ability worked in V. If you've captured 10+ ships and it hasn't happened something is definitely wrong but you could easily kill one with no benefit.

7. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

Oh, it's a %? I did this only one time so far, and it was to a frigate. (If it matters, a Great Admiral was on top of the Sea Dog). I thought it would capture it EVERY time.

8. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Well I played England a lot... and the location of the sea dog is just so dam sill I never really bothered.
    I have got them about 6 times but they never captured anything and there was no special button... The worst thing is ... the sea is normally empty anyway unless on an island map and I like continents. However I'll resurrect some saves and give it another go... its just that even if they work... they are in the wrong place

ZubieMaster likes this.
  9. ShinigamiKenji

ShinigamiKenji King

Which is a pity given that Ships of the Line were so damn powerful in Civ V. And we're talking about England, who boasted having the greatest navy with which they built their empire upon.

10. Victoria

Oh do not worry, the Harbour really really helps

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  11. Seabastian Civ

Seabastian Civ King

I played England and never captured a single unit with a Sea Dog.

I would hit the target a few times with range, then finish them off with Sea Dog (like one would do in Civ 5) and not a single one ever flipped over to me...

12. Victoria

I just spent an hour attacking with sea dogs, restoring attacking.
    The sea dog cannot melee, it will only shoot which is not a good sign. I have tried surrounding ships, boats and transports and shooting them. Tried many different keystrokes... indeed seems broken

13. Seabastian Civ

Seabastian Civ King

Man I love that they rushed Civ 6 out as quickly as possible... double love that Mac dropped at the same time as PC... but c'mon man.

Straight up broken UU's is pretty ridiculous lol. I just figured I was doing something wrong.

Yes, someone did post this- I wonder if they will weigh in and show everyone what they did to get the Sea Dog to Work

14. MaximusPlatypus

MaximusPlatypus O.O

It's awkward position on the tree makes them hard to build. I actually started one of those rants on reddit. I had fleets of Sea dogs and many kills, never once captured a ship. They are bugged.

15. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

Bugged for certain or the percent chance is so low to be useless; same as bugged pretty much. I've killed dozens of ships with sea dogs and have yet to capture one.

16. VicRatlhead5199

VicRatlhead5199 King

Haven't played England yet but you can increase naval relevance while still having "continents." Try a fractal map with high sea levels. I did that to get use out of Japan's coastal bonuses in my current game. You really can't avoid settling close to coasts and travelling by land to anywhere that doesn't share a border takes a really long time.

AI has built plenty of ships although they're not handling them much better than they do land units. Rome even had a handful of subs doing coastal raids in my last war with him. There's a good mix of landlocked and coastal cities too.

*edit* Do sea dogs need to be adjacent to capture maybe? Or are they melee? Haven't looked at them or run into them much.

17. MaximusPlatypus

MaximusPlatypus O.O

somebody on reddit suggested that the code for Unit_Capture needs to be looked at... from what I understand the individual unit types (privateers, galleys, etc) all have to be put into the Sea Dog code in order for it to work. I'm no modder, but perhaps it could be compared to the Unit_Capture code for the Eagle Warriors, and see if that is how it works.

18. Magil

Magil Monarch

Not sure if that'd work, since Eagle Warriors probably actually produce Builders rather than actually "capture" units.

19. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Has anyone tested to see if this works correctly yet?

20. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Hasn't worked for me. Bugged?