How does AI research technology and civics

FiReFTW

Chieftain
I was just wondering, does anyone know how AI researches tech and civics?

Do they go for mostly useful ones, or do they tend to research most of them? Or do they just skip alot and just try to go to the next in line and go through the tree as fast as possible?

AI evaluates possible choices and selects the one with the biggest score. You can see the scoring results in one of the logs. Without access to the source code it is not possible to say how exactly the algorithm works. From observations, it sums up possible unlocks, also for techs that are further ahead, it probably sums up the items along the way. That is why usually techs that are further ahead and can be beelined, ARE beelined. You can influence also individual items like wonders or techs, also unique items are are scored higher. It ensures that AI will go for techs and civics that are needed for its abilities.

Last edited:
AI evaluates possible choices and selects the one with the biggest score. You can see the scoring results in one of the logs. Without access to the source code it is not possible to say how exactly the algorithm works. From observations, it sums up possible unlocks, also for techs that are further ahead, it probably sums up the items along the way. That is way usually techs that are further ahead and can be beelined, ARE beelined. You can influence also individual items like wonders or techs, also unique items are are scored higher. It ensures that AI will go for techs and civics that are needed for its abilities.
It sure feels like AI beeling Machu Picchu is coded for all of them!

It sure feels like AI beeling Machu Picchu is coded for all of them!

Great Bath, rather.
They take the Bath because it’s available right away to any of them with a flood plains. I think high level AI even start with pottery.
But Machu Picchu is several techs in. I usually just let them have it because the only way to get it is to start with a mountain and a strong capital start, beeline the tech yourself AND magnus chop some of it in.
They definitely rush engineering and I don’t know why.

Some bee line very sharply. Saw it several times that Civs who had less total technologies researched than me already had modern armor while I didn't even have early tanks yet. Like they completely ignored the upper part of the tech tree.

They definitely beeline. A recent game I was playing Sumeria going for Science. For a couple of eras, I was leading in science per turn AND technologies, yet Scotland was consistently an era ahead of me. Even when I just unlocked coursers, they had tanks.

On higher difficulties the AI always get crossbowmen way before I do even when I have more total techs AND more science/turn, so I think they like to beeline for crossbows

Certain civs have special "prefered" civics, techs and wonders (this can be seen in AiList) however,the entire concept of "Flavors" which existed in previous game (a value given to each item) seems to have been hard-coded and isn't available outside of "AiLists".

On higher difficulties the AI always get crossbowmen way before I do even when I have more total techs AND more science/turn, so I think they like to beeline for crossbows
I do too most of the time :) One more step closer to my forbidden palace (I really need to get this addiction to more policy card wonders... or not)

It's useful to watch the AIs at work on autoplay - sometimes they will start building wonders immediately, instead of expanding.

Top Bottom