How does territory grow?

seagull

Chieftain
I don't mean just the obvious growth with culture.

If there is only one tile between the territory of two cities it often (but not always) gets added to my (or another civ's) territory.

Are the rules for when and how this happens posted anywhere?

If two of your cities have a one tile gap that is technically within the cultural expansion border it fills it in for you. Usally not that big of a help considering if they were that close with no culture they will overlap, but this lets you empire fill in quicker when you get more culture buildings.

It all depends on how much culture your city has, compared to how much the AI's city has. So if the square's occupied by the AI, make sure you're getting more culture per turn than they are, then sooner or later your border wil pop their border back to where it belongs.

This is also useful for peacefully acquiring resorces from within AI territory. Or just "burrowing" through their borders & sitting on their land, like a dog in the manger sits on the hay.

EDIT: Oh, you mean two of your cities. Sorry, I didn't read it properly the first time.

I think it has something to do with the "Culturally Linked Start Positions" tab in the "Rules" screen, before the start of a game. If it's on they always link from a square away. Unless their directly verticle or horizontal to each other...I think.

Originally posted by Knowze Gungk
I think it has something to do with the "Culturally Linked Start Positions" tab in the "Rules" screen, before the start of a game. If it's on they allways link from a square away. Unless their directly verticle or horizontal to each other...I think.
Culturally Linked Start has nothing to do with what seagull is asking. If you switch it on, when the game begins civs from the same cultural group (N. American, European, Mediterranean,etc.) will start near each other.
I've never seen rules stated for when cities "link", seagull. I'm sure it has to do with how much culture the already established city(s) have. It may have to do with the total culture of the civ(s) involved, too.

So that's what it means. I've never bothered to turn it off.

With it off you get a lot more variety of neighboring civs. Which could be good or bad, I guess. :)

Originally posted by seagull
I don't mean just the obvious growth with culture.

If there is only one tile between the territory of two cities it often (but not always) gets added to my (or another civ's) territory.

Are the rules for when and how this happens posted anywhere?

you mean something like
Code:
-/neutral tile
y/tile inside your borders
Y/city center square
!/[i]remarkable[/i] tile inside your borders  

'before (1city w/ 1 expansion)':
---yyy-
--yyYyy
---yyy-
-------
-------

'after (2cities, 2nd city has no expansion)':
---yyy-
--yyYyy
--!yyy-
-yyy---
-yYy---
...then it's what CIVPhilzilla said.

Here's a recent thread that should contain all rules about tile ownership:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=1521182#post1521182
(just don't get confused)

I think the general rule is that if there's a free square that has two opposite sides bordering your culture it is given to you. For example, if there is an unoccupied tile and you own the tile to the northeast and the tile to the southwest, it is incorporated within your borders.

I am not sure they have to be within the cultural exapnsion border.

I think I had some "useless" mountains get included in my territory even when it was outside my city 21 tile range.

I've also had some neutral roads lose their movement bonus when an enemy city terrirory expanded onto them.

Top Bottom