How does the Barbarian clans mode interact with the Terra mapscript?

I'm trying NFP for the first time after a long break from Civ6.
I always liked terra maps, but I'm not sure how the barbarian clans game mode will interact with this mapscript. Any experiences?

I'm currently playing such a game (additionally Marathon speed, Secret Societies, C&M and AI at Deity, though). You can expect the new world receiving a good share of the barb camps (and in consequence the CSs, too), because on the crowded old continent they are a lot less likely to survive. My personal view is that you can use both together without problems, though I would say that is likely not the map script which gives you the biggest amount of interaction with then barb clans. If you are however mainly interested in a CS populated new world however, then go for it for sure :) Ironically, all the CSs on it still allowed the rather unusual oddity of an AI setting up a true colony of some connecte cities there in my game...

I'm doing a lot with the Terra map and Barbarian Clans mode lately. I have resorted to tweaking (down) the number of starting City-States because of how Barbarian Clans evolve into City States over time. Now when I make it to the New World it doesn't feel quite so over-populated. Other than that, Pfeffersack's observation about how City States do in the crowded Old World is correct.

Thank you for the responses!
Will all barb camp evolve into a city state before the major civs arrive? I haven't found any info on how long it takes them to evolve without interference from major civs.

Thank you for the responses!
Will all barb camp evolve into a city state before the major civs arrive? I haven't found any info on how long it takes them to evolve without interference from major civs.

The answer to this might depend on the difficulty level (the lower, the faster you will probably be able to reach the new world, which might increase your chances to find still clans) and be also different if you play a civ like the Maori or Norway, but generally I would rather expect that the conversion has already happened for all or most camps. It was that way in my game, with the exception of two standard barb camps I runned into.

I haven't tried yet the terra map script, this topic gives inspiration to try it..

My first go with Portugal was Terra/barb clans /zombies and I'd done many a Terra Map before the March update into the Renaissance. Leif Erikson gave me early contact with barb clans in the New World but I could only watch them turn into CS long before I could get units to raid or clear them. But that was OK of course many were coastal so more trade route options.

The zombies part was weird the Old world got a handle on them early for the most part but in the New World (where I settled exclusively after my 3rd city) they were nasty and took out a few CS's. More than a few.

I didn't finish that game yet it felt quite broken but I may go back to it.

Top Bottom