How does the UN work?

Jeff Yu

Prince
I've never had a UN victory before, and when I build the UN, I never vote, as people are generally very pissed off at me. How are UN votes calculated? This wasn't covered in the Civilopedia or the manual very well. Does each Civ have one vote, or are the votes based on population, like Alpha Centauri?

Personally, I don't think the UN should allow victory by getting the player voted as a planetary leader. It doesn't in real life. I think it should be lower down in the tech tree, in the Industrial Age, and allow more diplomatic options to all civs when built, and the civ that builds it should get more votes and infiltrators in every civ. The UN victory would be enabled higher up in the tech tree, somewhere in the Modern Age. That way the UN would be more than a "Win the game" Great Wonder.

Each civ still alive gets one vote. I'm not sure exactly what the criteria (power, culture, territory, population?) is, but generally only two or three civs are presented as candidates, even if 8 civs remain. Each civ can vote for one of the candidate civs or can choose to abstain. The abstentions are important, because a majority of ALL remaining civs is needed to win -- so, if 6 civs left, 3 vote for Joan, 1 votes for Cleo, 2 abstain, then no winner and the game continues.

There has been a LOT of talk on these boards about the UN, and many share your view that the UN wonder is simply too powerful and should be changed in some fashion.

Is it just me, or has the 1.21 patch made the UN completely useless?

I had a few diplomatic victories prior to this patch, but now everybody either abstains or votes for themselves, so there is never a decisive vote.

I still get UN victories, but only using this dirty little trick:

build the UN

2 turns before it is finished, make MPP with everyone except your biggest rival - whatever it costs!!!
Do make sure not to make MPP with 2 warring parties.

move a settler/worker/explorer next to your biggest rivals land - not on his land!!!!!

1 turn before you build the UN, declare war on your rival but do not attck him except on your home territory!!!°!!

Presto, MPP kicks in when he destroys your unit - everyone loves you, you win the vote!

Originally posted by Killer
I still get UN victories, but only using this dirty little trick:

build the UN

2 turns before it is finished, make MPP with everyone except your biggest rival - whatever it costs!!!
Do make sure not to make MPP with 2 warring parties.

etc. .....

Presto, MPP kicks in when he destroys your unit - everyone loves you, you win the vote!

Ho ho! Killer, you are a dangerous dude!

Originally posted by sumthinelse

Ho ho! Killer, you are a dangerous dude!

Actually,I got this one from docceh (I think). Hope he`ll be around again soon!

btw: i never intended to get back to this thread then found myself opening it anyway because you responded :lol:

I didn't say "the UN wonder is simply too powerful." MY quote was that "many share [Jeff Yu's] view that the UN wonder is simply too powerful and should be changed in some fashion."

Because of the many known tactics / exploits / cheats (don't want to start a flame war on what constitutes 'acceptable' behavior) -- Killer's excellent reminder an example, I believe the UN can be made largely irrelevant. :)

Originally posted by Catt
I didn't say "the UN wonder is simply too powerful." MY quote was that "many share [Jeff Yu's] view that the UN wonder is simply too powerful and should be changed in some fashion."

Because of the many known tactics / exploits / cheats (don't want to start a flame war on what constitutes 'acceptable' behavior) -- Killer's excellent reminder an example, I believe the UN can be made largely irrelevant. :)

Actually I related, without attribution, your assertion that many share the view that "the UN wonder is simply too powerful and should be changed in some fashion." I agree with you that many hold that view, though I didn't mean to ascribe that view to you.

I certainly do apologize, Catt, if I misquoted you. I have corrected my original post. :)

Hey, hey, no problem Zachriel ;) I hope my post didn't sound too prickly. :)

I just didn't want to be tagged as one of the (too) many posters who seem to make blanket value statements regarding one or more aspect of the game without any reasoning supporting such statements.

:)

Top Bottom