How does this city get resources?

I would say that it's going through an AI road or something like that but that looks unlikely.

I'd say that there are roads that are on adjacent tiles that connect it to the trade network. Note that a lot of those tiles are actually 'explored' but not 'visible'. You don't see changes in tiles improvements on tiles unless they're visible. Either send a unit to explore, or trade world maps, and I'll bet you'll see roads.

I can't really see, but I think there may be a road running due east from the city two tiles and then going north and south. If not, then I'm not sure. :(

biggamer132 said:
I can't really see, but I think there may be a road running due east from the city two tiles and then going north and south. If not, then I'm not sure. :(

Looking at it now, it certainly seems that way. Or maybe there really are some not visible improvements. Gotta check it tomorrow. If that's the case, I'll be just as ashamed as I promised I'd be.

Dont coastal tiles act like a road.

There is obviously at least one road joining Canton to the rest of the world.

Look at *any* city screen and it will appear to be isolated by road. On city screens you never see any improvements on the dark tiles that are outside the cultural range of the city. As a result, roads on the tiles you *can* see don't show their onward links.

Colonel: no, they don't. You need a harbor for overseas trade connections.

AlanH: Maybe I misunderstood you, but in this picture there are obviously a lot of improvements to be seen outside the city radius. No idea what you mean... :rolleyes:

IIRC a city always has a LOS (line of sight) of 2 tiles deep, ie it's own 21 tiles, whether within the cultural borders or not, I'm not certain about the corners here. So there cannot be an invisible road if that's correct.
I'd say it's a road eastwards, like mentioned above. Maybe once the units move and with a ROP you could check if you can move over that square. Or if you've got a wheeled unit somewhere, try if you can move it (via J or mouse) to the square in question. You don't have to move, just check if it's possible.

Thrar said:
AlanH: Maybe I misunderstood you, but in this picture there are obviously a lot of improvements to be seen outside the city radius. No idea what you mean... :rolleyes:
What he means is the following. Let's say you explore around you in say 2000 BC when there are no roads or any other improvements on those tiles. You see those tiles as uniproved. Once your units go somewhere else and those tiles are out of sight they will still look unimproved until one of your units visits the same place again or you trade maps with an AI that has a more recent view. I'm 100% sure that there is in fact a road that connects to the AI trade network, but you just don't see it because you have explored those tiles before the roads were there.

The problem with that theory is that the tiles surrounding your own cultural boundary is always visible, and I can't see a road on AI territory surrounding New Canton, mainly based on the shape of the road inside the border of New Canton.

I don't think that's his city, so the Fog of War may be covering a road.

EDIT: 2000 posts! woot...

My guess is,according to the picture,there aren't roads
connecting New Canton.
I think this is an (very) old World Map.
An updated WM probably will show the solution.

MeteorPunch said:
I don't think that's his city, so the Fog of War may be covering a road.

Actually it is my city. Therefore, everything two tiles from it is visible.

And there actually was a road going through jungle to the east. Just hidden under all that jungle.
Thanks to everyone who answered! Now I can understand why so many people hate the jungle graphics so much.

ainwood said:
I'd say that there are roads that are on adjacent tiles that connect it to the trade network. Note that a lot of those tiles are actually 'explored' but not 'visible'. You don't see changes in tiles improvements on tiles unless they're visible. Either send a unit to explore, or trade world maps, and I'll bet you'll see roads.

That's probably the case

Ooops, you already solved it. I was pretty sure that was the case. If you look carefully at the "banana tile" due east you can at least see that the road continues through that tile to the west (towards your city).

Mountains and hills are also tough for seeing roads! I keep meaning to load a new terrain graphics pack to see if some of them maight not be better. Maybe one that puts little villiages and holdings along roads?

Top Bottom