1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

How does this motor work, anyway?

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by peter grimes, Apr 15, 2008.

1. peter grimes

peter grimes ... Moderator

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uSQjTv9JyhQ

I came across this video while watching clips of lighting and such. I'm no electrical engineer, and my understanding of regular electric motors is basic, at most; I can't make heads or tails of the thing.

I have no idea how this motor works, and why is he so hung up on amperage? Seems like it's not much more than a flywheel, so I can only assume that I'm misunderstanding this rig.

Any insights?

2. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

I am

I've taken courses on electric motors, have worked with them, and have built generators (which are very similar to motors).

Neither can I.

My diagnosis: junk science.

3. Souron

Souron The Dark Lord

Its really power output that's the real concern. You want the car to consume the least amount of energy, which means generate the least power. Power is the product of amperage and voltage, so if voltage is constant, the amperage provides a good relative measure of power. Its basically a measure of fuel efficiency.

As a inventor, thats the figure that he's trying to mitigate. For us what really matters is the cost of the battery/electricity compared to the distance traveled on a full battery.

No its not a flywheel. Its just a motor/generator. Motors work like generator if you spin the wheel, and apply wires to the terminals. I'm not sure what he's trying to show, however.

4. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.