How exactly a dam works?

Gonzo100100

Chieftain
In my game, a city is surrounded by a web of rivers, 4 of them to be specific, they all are connected and all have floodplains. Does that mean I can build 4 dams in one city to:

1. Prevent flooding damage (I have set natural disaster intensity to 4)

2. Attempt to plan out the dams to maximalise adjacency bonus for an industrial zone?

The link below leads to the screenshot of the city among rivers.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AijfnZ3cJQiggeVex83WXPLxdfudgA?e=Rgxk4f
Any advices where to build the dams?

It seems that "Dams" indeed function to prevent flooding. Unless, the dam is destructed by strong water and everything collapses.

If you hover over the separate tiles, you can see which river the floodplains belong to. For every flood plain, you can build one dam.

Also, recommendation for the future: you can copy-paste screenshots straight into your message. It's very easy and very convenient. And if you don't want a big screenshot in the thread, you can spoiler it like this:
Code:
[spoiler]screenshot goes here[/spoiler]

Yeah, you need to check what rivers the tiles are assigned to. Like in the screenshot, I can almost guarantee that "spot 1" isn't a valid dam spot, probably neither is spot 3. You also need to make sure the spot to place the dam borders the river in question on 2 sides - the dam north of the city is probably going to relatively limited depending on exactly which rivers those tiles are assigned to, it might end up being that the only dam spot available up there is on the Maize, for example.

You'll definitely have some freedom to the south on dam placement, around spot 4. And you might even see that there's a dam spot near that wheat cluster separate from dam 4 (or maybe not if they're on the same river). You might even have another spot SW on that other river not even highlighted.

Although given how good Babylon's rivers with Etemanaki are, though, I don't know if I would opt for dams other than any river where you actually either want it for IZ rules or to protect other districts. If your farms flood, who cares, free yields!

Thank you for telling me I can copy and paste the image here, very helpful.
And thank you for letting me know how to check what tile belong to what river.

Ok, as a little update. There are 4 rivers. On the screenshot I marked them with coloured circles. There are however two tiles that belong not to one but two rivers. The orange and yellow rivers have no floodplains whatsoever so, no flooding. Then the city is mostly segregated into two sections, the north and the south. The north (blue river) where all the districts and wonders are (or are planned to be). The south (green river) where most of really good farms are placed. I think it’s vital to prevent flooding on the blue river because it would be bad to repair damaged districts. As you can see, I put a dam on the map tack so there is an open possibility of making +7 industrial zone but I don’t know if I will ever do that because to put the aqueduct and the IZ, I will sacrifice very strong yields (2 tiles together: 7 production, 5 food, 2 gold, 1 science). And also I already have 42 production in the city.

Then there is the green river that continues beyond the screenshot but there is no suitable place to put the dam on so the only one is the floodplains tile with no farm on it. I am very hesitant on putting the dam there. I’ll see how bad the floods in the future will be. What do you think, is it a good thing to put the second dam there?

Just a side note: I only have a few games in Civ 6 on me but this one really got my jaw drop when I saw that on the desert east and north from Babylon, I will be able to put 6 holy sites +6 to faith (with the desert folklore) +6 to production (with the work ethic) and x2 (with the scripture policy) making it +12 both to faith and production per holy site! Fun discovery, I already have the religion in place, and made 1 holly site working full steam and 2 more in the making. It is going to feel like cheating.

4rivers2.jpg

Just a side note: I only have a few games in Civ 6 on me but this one really got my jaw drop when I saw that on the desert east and north from Babylon, I will be able to put 6 holy sites +6 to faith (with the desert folklore) +6 to production (with the work ethic) and x2 (with the scripture policy) making it +12 both to faith and production per holy site! Fun discovery, I already have the religion in place, and made 1 holly site working full steam and 2 more in the making. It is going to feel like cheating.

Work ethic is very strong. I made this screenshot a while ago (the Khmer get food equal to the Holy Site's adjacency bonus, and there is a Great Scientist that gives science equal to the Holy Site's adjacency bonus):

(apologies for bad quality, apparently copying the image from where I posted it earlier wasn't a good idea)

Thank you for telling me I can copy and paste the image here, very helpful.
And thank you for letting me know how to check what tile belong to what river.

Ok, as a little update. There are 4 rivers. On the screenshot I marked them with coloured circles. There are however two tiles that belong not to one but two rivers. The orange and yellow rivers have no floodplains whatsoever so, no flooding. Then the city is mostly segregated into two sections, the north and the south. The north (blue river) where all the districts and wonders are (or are planned to be). The south (green river) where most of really good farms are placed. I think it’s vital to prevent flooding on the blue river because it would be bad to repair damaged districts. As you can see, I put a dam on the map tack so there is an open possibility of making +7 industrial zone but I don’t know if I will ever do that because to put the aqueduct and the IZ, I will sacrifice very strong yields (2 tiles together: 7 production, 5 food, 2 gold, 1 science). And also I already have 42 production in the city.

Then there is the green river that continues beyond the screenshot but there is no suitable place to put the dam on so the only one is the floodplains tile with no farm on it. I am very hesitant on putting the dam there. I’ll see how bad the floods in the future will be. What do you think, is it a good thing to put the second dam there?

View attachment 626531

Yeah, it looks like you have some good strategies :) You'll probably want a dam on the Green river somewhere further south, but probably owned by a second city, if you end up that space for other districts. Looks like a ton of floodplains on that river that it might get annoying to have 10+ farms wiped out by a flood, and it's not like you really need the extra yields. If I recall, it's usually better to spread dams around since I think each city can only build one hydro plant, no matter how many dams it owns.

Work ethic is good if there are lots of favorable terrain. There isn't always, especially at higher diff. levels where players are not likely to get a low-tier pantheon. Otherwise, a few holy sites go in cities where it makes sense and the rest don't benefit.

The other consideration is that it is a follower belief. If it gets sprayed to other faith civ's, then they can reap a similar benefit (granted, AI, is not great at realizing adjacency modifiers).

Top Bottom