1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How exactly do you "Bribe" other Civ to go war with your enemy?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by gustamanh, Feb 27, 2011.

1. gustamanh

gustamanh Chieftain

I read some of the strats posting and i saw some reference in the strat about "bribing" other Civ to go war with your target.

1. How do i exactly do that?
    I tried feeding gold, luxury good to my "friend' and then "Discuss to declare war" on my target, and the answer is always no... That "friend" and my target is not in good term.

Please help by providing step by step advice.

2. Callonia

Callonia Deity

Sometimes it could be because your friend you're trying to urge into an war against someone else has too little of a military for him to feel comfortable accepting your request.

3. hix

hix Warlord

open the trade screen, look for "Other players", then "Declare war on"...this will bring up a list of the civs and CS, you can trade directly for war here

4. Rittmeyer

Rittmeyer Prince

this is the kind of weird thing that sometimes cast suspicious over "guides" written about how to beat a given difficulty level.

since Civ IV, I noticed that some of the supposed top players were able to bribe other Civs into war with little money/techs. to me, it always indicated cheating, or tempering with the XML's. I've seen Civ V deity games in these boards that are also highly suspicious.

So, my point is: don't always believe what you read. It is possible to bribe, but it's not always going to be as easy as it is in those games people post here.

5. ChrisTheMean

ChrisTheMean Chieftain

Why so suspicious, Rittmeyer? Its quite possible to bribe other leaders into warring using the trade screen as described above. Some leaders seem to be more keen than others though. Just try it out: often they will want a bit of gold, maybe a lux ot two for a few turns, and some will never do it.

edit: You can even work it the other way sometimes, ie, your neighbor, Hiawatha, is getting pounded by Bismark. Open trade screen with Hiawatha, propose: you give me open borders and your silver, I DoW on Bismark. Sometimes it works too.

6. Bobafett0610

Bobafett0610 Warlord

I've never gotten this to work. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm playing settler or deity. I guess if some people get it to work then ok; but for me they never accept no matter how much money or resources I have to offer. I guess it just depends on the game or luck or both.

7. Rittmeyer

Rittmeyer Prince

it is possible. I said that. but it's not as easy or as cheap as you see in most of those games posted by the people trying to pretend they can beat deity.

8. pickle

pickle Lord of the Preserves

it depends a lot on the situation, it is almost impossible to pay a civ that doesn't like you to dow their best friend and no1 trading partner, but if they don't like the other civ it can cost almost nothing.

9. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

yeah, you can try... It's all going to be relative to the two AIs though.

Ie, my french Pangea game - I tried multiple times to get the other AIs to go after someone via the trade screen and they all said no. I even offered everything and they didn't want to do it.

Though, later in the game it only cost me ~300g to get a war going between two civs.

So, it is possible, but you have to hope that they don't like each other first and that the one declaring war is in a position to do it.

Else just ask nicely if they'll declare war on the other AI with you. You might get them to agree to do it within 10 turns and then you can just say no when they ask you to join them in the war.

10. doomdg

doomdg Chieftain

Why so suspicious ritt? Its really you need to keep trying, and be observant about who is trying to go for a domination win. Getting a friend to war against an enemy is rather easy.

11. Silverfuturist

Silverfuturist King

Bribing the AI on deity: there are many situations where any reasonable bribe by me is rejected. Other times it takes just a luxury to get them to DoW.
    I think it depends on the personality of the leader and if that leader is already coveting their neighbor's lands or other things that make the AI DoW each other.
    Napoleon is somebody who has taken my bribe several times.
    Songhai took my bribe them immediately didn't like me, I was trying to figure out if the 2 were related.

12. trueblue

trueblue Prince

just in general i wonder about that sometimes, winning a game can be so situational and it can be down to sheer luck.

on topic: if you can bribe them ive found its usually very cheap, a couple of hundred in me experiences. sometimes though no one can be bribed. and sometimes you dont want to bribe anyone, you dont want the AI capturing a city that you could have puppeted.

13. vexing

vexing knows

i'm playing a purposefully drawn out large marathon deity game with a massive puppet empire, with a pretty long flat pangea... i had gotten the west side fully covered, napolean had taken over most of the east, but for whatever reason never got into a war with darius who was south of him: maybe due to some mountains between most of their lands. both he and darius had at least a few atomic bombs, so before i went to work on napolean i asked him what he'd like to go to war with darius: something like 120 gold.

it's pretty hilarious given that he was sitting on around 200k gold, i was sitting on 100k.
    i guess how much gold they require is a function of how much they overpower the opponent, or how close they were ready to declare themselves.

anyway they both blew all their nukes on each other and lost plenty of units making for easy pickings

14. Uniform Sierra

Uniform Sierra Warlord

Even if you do get him to declare war on the enemy, most civs end the war @ turn 10 as soon as they're allowed to, with no extra damage being done to either civilizations.

15. Hinenuitepo

Hinenuitepo Chieftain

At the very least, you get the AI to redistribute their forces while you deploy yours.

16. Uniform Sierra

Uniform Sierra Warlord

That's the only way I use bribing a declaration of war. Then I wait about 5-7 turns before I declare war.

Sometimes a civilization is so hated that I can give people 300 gold to attack them, and I can get up to 4 or 5 civilizations to do the same. They don't tend to quit after the 10th turn when they have other people attacking with them.

17. AntiLegend

AntiLegend Chieftain

the way you desribe it sounds like you only tried to use the "discuss"-method. there's also the possibility to use the trade screen. you put the "declare war on xyz" on their side of the table, and your bribe on your side. i've sucessfully done the latter, but was never able to get a dow with the "discuss"-method (haven't tried it that often though).

18. gustamanh

gustamanh Chieftain

I got the method now :) Thanks all for the reply. It has been very helpful

19. free_cat

free_cat Chieftain

Just finished an immortal game.
    I was able to bribe people into war several times.
    It seems it is quite easy to bribe the strongest leader to war with others.

I wanted people to DoW germany, cause they where a bit ahead of me, but they wouldn't. The other way around, was a piece of cake (asking germany to DOW others). So I made Germany go to war with many and then I traded me going to war against Germany.

20. Martin Alvito

Martin Alvito Real men play SMAC

I'm beginning to really appreciate having Germany next door. Bismarck is a rabid dog, but you can set him loose in the streets of other civs. He seems to be incredibly unwilling to make peace during the first hundred turns, and I think I finally understand why. Because he's spamming his cheap Pikes everywhere, he always has a numerical and a total strength advantage early on. But as we all know, you can't take decently defended dirt with Pikes.

So Bismarck fights wars of attrition, gives about as good as he gets, remains convinced that victory is just around the corner, and refuses to back off. This is extremely useful, because if you get him to make war on somebody else, that war is very unlikely to stop any time soon. You just need to bribe him before he comes looking for you.

You just don't know what you're talking about. It isn't free, but it's frequently worthwhile.