How exactly does Venice work?

Oh, sure. I haven't investigated Venice in any detail, but I would imagine the whole thing is pretty heavily weighted toward needing to get to a coast quickly.

Extra pro challenge: play Venice on Pangaea with no city-states.

That would make Venice lose its uniqueness. MoVs would be useless. Only way Venice could get a second city is by attacking.

That would make Venice lose its uniqueness. MoVs would be useless. Only way Venice could get a second city is by attacking.

Sure, I'm not saying it would be an effective method or even especially fun... it would just be harder because it would go against their strengths.

Im saying Venice would be UP if Venice wasn't on a coast because cargo ships provide a lot more gpt, food and production particularly if the city states were also coastal. Im sure players could still pull it off with Venice founded in a non coastal position but it would be a lot easier for trade if Venice was in a coast with any city nearby in another coast.

While working on the strategy guide, I did have one game as Venice in which I started land-locked in a desert. The upside was that I got to build Petra!

http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=259375988

That must've been a disabled start bias since Venice has a coastal start bias.

Nope. When I play the test games for the strategy guides, I don't touch any of the advanced settings (except for occasionally placing specific A.I.s in the game to test how well they counter each other, like Zulu Impi v Polish Winged Hussar). Difficulty level, map type (usually continents or pangea), and game speed are the only settings that I change.

Nope. When I play the test games for the strategy guides, I don't touch any of the advanced settings (except for occasionally placing specific A.I.s in the game to test how well they counter each other, like Zulu Impi v Polish Winged Hussar). Difficulty level, map type (usually continents or pangea), and game speed are the only settings that I change.

What map did you use?

It actually is for Venice, as they have a special start bias that puts them in front of everybody else. Meaning that Venice is almost guaranteed to get a coastal start.

Are you talking about all maps ? Or are you talking about random maps?

How do you win as Venice?

You can't do domination because you can't take cities.

You can't do science because you need 2-3 'factory' cities to churn out parts.

I was going for diplomacy but someone beat me to Forbidden Palace by three turns.

It actually is for Venice, as they have a special start bias that puts them in front of everybody else. Meaning that Venice is almost guaranteed to get a coastal start.

No, but doesn't that change in non random maps?

I was going for diplomacy but someone beat me to Forbidden Palace by three turns.

You can conquer cities with Venice as puppets.

You do science the same way other civ do science when OCC. With the added benefit of more routes and science from puppet.

Make the Venetians only capable of founding coastal cities, but don't turn them into a city state.

That would suck to choose "random" leader on a Great Plains, Ice Age, or Highland map, only to start the game and find out you rolled Venice. :( Great Plains does usually have that tiny little section of coast in the Southeast corner, but you'd be pretty much gimped thereafter except for any lakes scattered throughout the map.

What happens then if a map lacks a coast and the coastal start bias civilization is in? Where does That civilization end up getting placed?

^ I think it's random otherwise, or no start bias, for example coastal bias on great plains.

What map did you use?

I don't recall specifically. I think it was a regular continents map. It might have been fractal or oval though...

You can definitely do Domination. Use the massive gold from your double trade routes and the ability to buy units in puppeted cities to build a huge army and sweep across the map.

I have found Venice very frustrating to play. My cap is already over busy with guilds, national wonders, and the occasional WW. To that, Venice has to build all the archeologists (can't be rush bought) and probably all the work for International Projects (puppets might help, but it is very hit or miss). Warmongering with promotion-less units is less fun too. For SV, only the cap can build SS parts. It seems to me that puppets are basically spoils of war -- the outcome from your expanding empire. But puppet cities don’t directly contribute to your chosen VC and only really become productive towards that until you annex them -- and Venice does not get that option!

Of all the VC, Venice is weak expect for Diplo -- but that’s the easiest VC anyway.

Top Bottom