How far would you dismantle 'PC (politically correct) culture'?

I understand what you're saying but look at this:

po·lit·i·cal cor·rect·ness
pəˈlidəkəl kəˈrek(t)nəs/
noun
noun: political correctness; noun: political correctitude
  1. the avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against.

I do not think affirmative action can be shoehorned into this definition.
It can if you say that the USA, for example, is a white supremacist country, as some claim, and that the status quo is in fact marginalizing people of colour, because the system is racist. Then affirmative action, by that definition, is political correctness.

Triggered? No, we can discuss this all day if you want. I don't think this discussion should be shut down and it does not make me uncomfortable.

I still am puzzled why you brought in Christianity. Even if playing the Christian card was an acceptable excuse for bigotry as the Muslim card is, that would still not make things better. In Western Europe a very large percentage of the population is neither Christian nor Muslim, they're merely irreligious folks.

So to go back to the point, when the PC brigade starts to be upset by mainstream imams that say that Muslims cannot shake hands with a woman, then we can rediscuss it. Right now they're just giant hypocrites.

You seem pretty triggered by the standards of the internet.

If you're saying that Christians and Muslims unfairly get a free pass to be un-PC, I've already explained why I think that's the case. If you just want to continue to rant about it, then I say you'd really seem triggered by this issue.

Personally I would stop vocal protests at university speeches or lectures, segregated safe spaces, guilty until proven innocent, firing people because of fears of boycot, blaming people because of "microaggressions", guilting because of cultural appropriation and "racial" and sex quotas. That would be a good start. All in all we need more principle of charity and less jumping into conclusions about sweeping conspiracies like the patriarchy or white supremacy.

You seem pretty triggered by the standards of the internet.

If you're saying that Christians and Muslims unfairly get a free pass to be un-PC, I've already explained why I think that's the case. If you just want to continue to rant about it, then I say you'd really seem triggered by this issue.
Christians don't get any free pass by PC people, though. Only Muslims. PC people are awful hypocritical.

I don't think you know what triggered mean. I'm happy to discuss it, unless it triggers you.

PC people

This used to be a discussion about what PC was, and how far it should be discouraged. You seem to say that political correctness is something that is only done by "PC people", whoever they are, and not by Christians. Perhaps if you could describe more precisely who you think "PC people" are, it might help us understand what you mean by political correctness. I expect that such a description would be "people who have strong beliefs that are different than mine", but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm saying PC people give Muslims a free pass on their bigotry because they're giant hypocrites.
Here in the US bigotted Muslims don't occupy the highest levels of government.

Here in the US bigotted Muslims don't occupy the highest levels of government.
Well the US ain't the world. Here in Europe letting bigoted Muslims run amok and undisturbed in their little fiefs has resulted in countless radicalized youths that every now and then slaughter plenty of innocent civilians for absolutely no reason other than bigotry.

This used to be a discussion about what PC was, and how far it should be discouraged. You seem to say that political correctness is something that is only done by "PC people", whoever they are, and not by Christians. Perhaps if you could describe more precisely who you think "PC people" are, it might help us understand what you mean by political correctness. I expect that such a description would be "people who have strong beliefs that are different than mine", but maybe I'm wrong.
PC people are those that support political correctness, as described in books such as The Closing of the American Mind.

Well the US ain't the world. Here in Europe letting bigoted Muslims run amok and undisturbed in their little fiefs has resulted in countless radicalized youths that every now and then slaughter plenty of innocent civilians for absolutely no reason other than bigotry.

Lots of emotional but unquantifiable language here. Like goalposts with pre-installed castors.

Also the subtle and unsupported claim that the unidentified PC people are willing and capable of causing this state of affairs.

Accelerate political correctness to its conclusion: COMMUNISM

Most of what was considered "political correctness" twenty years ago is just politeness today. It's the common sense of the culture, which is not necessarily that people have internalised its values (although I think for most people born after 1985, that is the case to a greater or lesser extent), but that it is the understood standard of conduct in polite contexts. People who still rail against "PC culture" in the traditional sense are, bluntly, vulgarians, the equivalent of people who want to take about sex and excrement at the dinner table. There's a reason that most of the "anti-SJWs" who fall into that post-1985 generation are also pretty vulgar people in general, at least online.

Most of what was considered "political correctness" twenty years ago is just politeness today. It's the common sense of the culture, which is not necessarily that people have internalised its values (although I think for most people born after 1985, that is the case to a greater or lesser extent), but that it is the understood standard of conduct in polite contexts. People who still rail against "PC culture" in the traditional sense are, bluntly, vulgarians, the equivalent of people who want to take about sex and excrement at the dinner table. There's a reason that most of the "anti-SJWs" who fall into that post-1985 generation are also pretty vulgar people in general, at least online.
When polled the majority of population will say they disapprove of political correctness.

Political correctness only comes from PC people, and PC people are those that support political correctness. Circular definition much ?
Huh? What sort of complaint is that?
Communists are those that suport communism. "PC people" are those that support political correctness.

Huh? What sort of complaint is that?
Communists are those that suport communism. "PC people" are those that support political correctness.
It's a reference to Jordan Peterson's claims that the "SJW" are closet marxists, I think.

It's a reference to Jordan Peterson's claims that the "SJW" are closet marxists, I think.
Or alternatively (((Marxists))), depending on what Peterson-booster you're taking to.

Moderator Action: Please avoid the use of triple brackets to denote Jews. It is considered hate speech by some, and is unacceptable on the site. --LM
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
Christians don't get any free pass by PC people, though. Only Muslims. PC people are awful hypocritical.

And that line of thinking is precisely why I brought up the case of Christianity in the first place:

AFAIK, this is because religious groups are a protected class. Although it might seem to you like this doesn't apply to Christianity (partly because people in the West feel that they are still somewhat in the in-group when it comes to Christianity, so they feel more free to criticise it), it actually does in America, for one, where you have Christians actively seeking to be 'protected' from various things they dislike on the basis of their beliefs.

And why bring in Christianity? Well, if Christianity in the West is as protected as Islam then there's no cause to complain about Islam alone, as you did.

Congrats on totally missing the point, as always. You're welcome to continue to rant on any pet topic of yours here, though.

"PC culture" is another name for something that already had a perfectly fine word: hypocrisy. If people said their minds they would not have to worry about being "politically correct", they would just be. Thus whenever "political correctness" is a consideration in action, it refers to hypocrisy: saying one thing while thinking (and often doing) another.

No one can dismantle hypocrisy. But it would be good if it wasn't encouraged.

"PC culture" is another name for something that already had a perfectly fine word: hypocrisy. If people said their minds they would not have to worry about being "politically correct", they would just be. Thus whenever "political correctness" is a consideration in action, it refers to hypocrisy: saying one thing while thinking (and often doing) another.

No one can dismantle hypocrisy. But it would be good if it wasn't encouraged.
Counter-point, saying just whatever comes into your head without regard for its impact on others is more usually evidence of profound social under-development than of an ethos of radical honesty.

Have fun trying to convince people that you're doing the latter and not the former.

Top Bottom