1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] How fast do you go through the tech tree?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Leyrann, Mar 6, 2018.

?

How fast do you get to the Information Era on Deity and standard speed?

1. 100-150 turns

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. 125-175 turns

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. 150-200 turns

5 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. 175-225 turns

4 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. 200-250 turns

8 vote(s)
    11.8%
  6. 225-275 turns

5 vote(s)
    7.4%
  7. 250-300 turns

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. 275-325 turns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 300+ turns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I don't play Deity

41 vote(s)
    60.3%
  1. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Out of curiousity, with the new era system bringing additional focus to technology speed, how fast do people here get through the tech tree when playing on Deity?

2. Timothy001

Timothy001 Chieftain

I have played once on Deity. It's not for me. Unless you play optimally, you have a hard time winning a game. My games are usually spread out over a week or 2, depending on time. I personally just don't like Deity.

3. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

I don't play Deity, but on Immortal my games will end anywhere from about 200-280 turns, depending on VC/civ/effort/whatever.

4. Karpius

Karpius Chieftain

I am simply not a speed player. How fast I go means nothing to me.

plus, Duuk, WorldWarIV and 5 others like this.
  5. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I tried my first Deity game the other night, and Persia took my capital on turn 25. I guess I'm not good enough for it yet.

6. liv

liv Warlord

If my deity game goes well I do not get to see the information age. (warmonger)

7. HyJinkx

HyJinkx Chieftain

I’m not a die hard diety only player but I do enjoy it better with civs who I feel are a bit op. Still I don’t tend to feel the need to concentrate solely on science so I normally end later then the speed players do by anywhere from 50-100 turns at least. It never seems like an issue since there’s plenty of ways to stop run away civs.

8. kryat

kryat Chieftain

I feel like even though I know how to play on Immortal or Diety, I do not care to do so because the viable paths are too constrained. I prefer to role play on Emperor.

9. Art Morte

Art Morte Chieftain

I play on epic speed and either emperor or immortal, didn't feel like I could vote on the poll. But I don't advance the tech tree particularly fast (and certainly would question Lily's claim from the other thread that it's normal to reach info era in 120 to 180 turns). I try to play mostly peacefully and conquering others is clearly the fastest strategy in this game, I have no idea how much faster I'd advance if I went full-on warmongering.

10. kryat

kryat Chieftain

@Leyrann, is there a reason the ranges overlap?

11. tedhebert

tedhebert Chieftain

I answered 200-250, but I almost always play immortal, not deity... I feel the answer is still appropriate for the poll, tough, so I cast my vote as such...

12. Boyan_Sun

Boyan_Sun Chieftain

With a good map, and a good luck, players who seeks to win faster should be 160-170 for a peaceful play, if it is non-peace I believe it will be faster. This is the limiting case, but even if the map and luck are more general, some fast players can also do a peaceful deity SV in 180-200 (of course conquering is usually faster). There are a lot of calculations and mechanisms involved, even some can be called "exploits". Doesn't this forum give these people a place called "Strategy & Tips"?

But for ordinary players., there is no need to play so utilitarian. Take it easy, the game can still be happy and relax.

p.s. Don't take him seriously, though I'm not qualified. In any case, a student who graduated from China's top university(THU) and is now a PhD in UC Berkeley can't be a normal player (actually one of the best civ players). I do know some people with high iqs, and few of them have a problem with emotional intelligence. Not appropriate to mention his name, as his usual style, pretentious but self-proclaimed "normal" to taunt others (that's why he was expelled from Chinese forums).

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    PYITE likes this.
  13. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Some games you'll be faster, some you'll be slower. And of course, a science victory will be faster than another victory.

14. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Chieftain

I alwats play King and Standard, because I do not want an AI with too many extra bonuses.

I reach the final era in around T300 if I am not beelining for spaceports.

rattatatouille likes this.
  15. rattatatouille

rattatatouille Chieftain

As a person who prefers roleplaying I find Deity too constraining.

That said I can comfortably reach Medieval by turn 100 on Prince without beelining, much earlier if playing as Korea and/or beelining. Turn 200 has me in late Industrial at worst (typically I get bored at this point) and I've won SVs by turn 300 while faffing about.

16. Trengilly

Trengilly Chieftain

Where is the "I don't know I don't pay attention to turn counts" option?

plus, Duuk and rattatatouille like this.
  17. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Chieftain

Just looking at the stats to date:

For the majority (58%), this is a non issue.

For the remainder, the bulk of the responses lie between the 150-200 range and the 225-275 range. Taking the medians of those two ranges, it would appear that the majority of deity players are hitting the Information Age between turns 175 and 250.

If I've done my math correctly, the minimum turn at which the era system can reach the Information Age based on the lower band for each era is turn 280.

There's no strict need for the "world age" to line up with the speed at which you (and your closest AI) progress through the tech tree, but I'd still prefer a self correcting mechanism to bring these closer in line, without impacting non-Deity players. My best current suggestion is to increase the malus for researching techs ahead of the world age, and to help the AI provide a corresponding increase to the bonus for researching techs behind the world age.

rattatatouille likes this.
  18. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Slight correction: Earliest possible is turn 241. 0-40 is first era, 41-80 is second era, etc. Nevermind, you did do the math correct.

I would argue that lowering the threshold for a new age starting to 30 or 35 turns would solve the problem (210 or 245 turns earliest possible information era).

Also, I am currently playing a game on King and epic speed, and I noticed that, so far, all three era thresholds were at the maximum amount of turns, or less than 10 turns before that (with a gap of 30 as we're talking epic here). So maybe the maximum should be increased a bit for lower difficulties, as it appears the AI has advanced enough to trigger the new era just roundabout the maximum time on King, and there's still a bunch of difficulty levels where the AI advances slower. Of course, this is just a one game sample size and on non-standard speed, but I think that 30-70 turns might be the optimal threshold, rather than 40-60.

Also looking at the supposed game time: if you take maximum time for every era (60 turns), you get to Information Era in turn 420, already making it an 80 turn era. So a higher limit would allow for a more balanced time, though theoratically, if everyone fails at science hard enough, it would become possible to not reach Information Era before 2050. Which I honestly think is acceptable.

WillowBrook likes this.
  19. plus

plus Chieftain

i play epic emperoe huge map each tech cost is appr. 40-50 turns,no beelining allowed on tech or civic,this makes each era count.also set ages count to around 250 turns count..that makes the game bigger much bigger with massive armies and 50-100 turns wars..massive citys..the only way i play

20. KayAU

KayAU Chieftain

I've only played on Deity once, to get the achievement. It was easy enough to win, but I did find it constraining, and the way the game increases too annoying. Basially it came down to exploiting the AIs inability to do combat, go wide, and snowball to victory. I didn't have a lot of fun with it, so I now always play on King.

I'm not sure if I have ever tried Normal speed. I was a Marathon player in Civ 5, but found that a bit too sluggish in 6, so I play on Epic.