1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How good is Civ V

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Almighty Z, Sep 22, 2010.

?

Is Civ V any good

1. Civ V is amazing!

116 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Civ V is pretty good

122 vote(s)
    39.5%
  3. Civ V is okay, but not worth the money

41 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. Civ V is a fail!

30 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. Almighty Z

Almighty Z Warlord

Be honest.

2. slowjames

slowjames Chieftain

I am concerned, but hopeful. It would definitely be a good game if I came in with no expectations. I'll get back to you after a few months to let you know my decision.

3. CandleJack

CandleJack Chieftain

It is amazing.

4. Davor

Davor Prince

Really? Why is that? Just saying it's amazing dosn't mean it is. Can you elaborate some more please. I would love to read some reasons why I should buy this game.

5. BoydofZINJ

BoydofZINJ Warlord

Its okay. There are allot of cool stuff. However, it is lacking. Wonders ... just dont seem wonderous. Religion, IMHO, was one of the most radical and best elements in CIV IV and Corporations in late games for BtS... nowadays... water downed.

It is much better than most games out there. However, CIV IV is still better IMHO. It might have allot of nice bells and whistles... its the core. The combat and the city defense is great! The hexagon map is great!

I was thinking. I did not like vanilla civilization IV nearly as much as Beyond the Sword. So I am hoping the mods and expansions will make the expansion an worthy successor to Beyond the Sword. AND DARN IT TO @@@@, make Wonders more powerful and religions more .... i dunno... interesting.

Until then, One more turn.

6. Davor

Davor Prince

That is so true. I did not like Civ IV unitl Beyond the Sword. The problem is, I do not want to wait for another BtS DLC or expansion pack for Civ V to become good.

7. Xiao Xiong

Xiao Xiong Prince

I haven't played yet but from the reviews it looks like the big thing that needs fixing is the AI's combat skill, and if that can be fixed then the rest of it just comes down to preferences.

Hopefully something like religion will be introduced as an expansion, but if not: Is there anything in Civ V that forces you into alliances with other civs, the way religion would subtly force you to choose sides?

8. InterAl

InterAl Chieftain

Can't see the point in buying a game with a brain-dead AI and a broken MP which can't compensate for it. That's without even discussing all the other major design flaws and removed features.

9. WuphonsReach

WuphonsReach Prince

Good out of the gate - but a bit bland.

It definitely needs a patch and it definitely needs an expansion that expands the gameplay (similar to how Warlords and BtS added on).

10. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

AI is definitely crappy, I'd say way worse than in Civ4. It either gives all its cities for peace when the war is going even-Steven, or while I have large advantage and simply want to have peace and some trading partners it goes bananas and keeps insulting you until you wipe them out.
    Last night, I was the most advanced civ around, had big army, and my friendly neighbour who had like 2 cities vs my six and just a turn before was grateful for helping him to wipe out Rome declared on me, only to be crushed ten turns later.

I'm not sure that all those botched up concepts will be fixable, not to mention with expansions to balance it all out... :/

Ah, and as for the awesome barbarians who keep up with the rest of AI... Barb encampments with brutes/spearmen in 1810 :sad: As for the "mighty" navy, I've seen like 4 galleys, so the Ottomans can go and **** themselves with their "Unique" Ability.

Patches, patches and more patches. And instead of working on some silly Facebook Civ please do a proper job with the next installment of the legendary series, ok?

11. Alsark

Alsark Noble

I voted "pretty good". The diplomacy seems a bit weak, but I otherwise like it. Also, the game is only going to get better with patches and expansions. I bet in a year from now it would easily be excellent, just as Civ 4 Vanilla -> BtS was a radical improvement.

12. Gorey

Gorey Prince

Despite alot of my recent posts, i gave it a "Pretty Good" rating.

Why?

Because had it not had the name "Civilization" attached to it, it would be a pretty good game.

The mere fact that it bears that title, brings all sorts of unrealistic expectations. Yes firaxis are mere mortals. Yes Civ is a huge name to live up to. Did they succeed in making a worthy successor? Not yet IMO, but only time will tell.

But judged soley on its own.. its a "pretty good" game. Just not what some people here expected when they 1st heard 5 was coming.

13. Andoo

Andoo Warlord

It's the best civ I'd dreamed of. I can understand it may not be so great of a game for people who already had their ideal civ game as civ4bts though because they're quite different. I'm quite sure civ5 will suffice them eventually as more contents become available.

Here are my preferences

civ5 > civ4bts > civ3complete > civ4 > civ3 > civrev

14. lietkynes

lietkynes Hello sword !

I voted amazing because I'm in love with this game already

15. lugaru

lugaru Chieftain

Put in about 8 hours already. The game is really good but I feel like it lacks a little flavor... it is as though there are less branches on the tree. I'm wondering if they want to build the game up with expansions and dlc but right now it is a good game that feels a little superficial.

16. Drake L. Dragon

Drake L. Dragon Warlord

Civ V is amazing.

17. dannythefool

dannythefool King

Yes... but... I thought the same about Civ IV... so I'm giving Civ V some more time :)

18. WuphonsReach

WuphonsReach Prince

The AI in vanilla Civ4 was no great thing either... it really didn't take off until the modders tackled it and then Firaxis picked up on the concepts and incorporated them into the later releases.

19. J-man

J-man Deity

A pretty good game with can become amazing when a couple of issue's will be patched.

20. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

I agree completely.

And hopefully a classic gem once a solid expansion is out.