How good is going for Reyna first?

Siptah

Eternal Chieftain
I guess that Magnus is the go-to governor for most players. But if I don't want to chop much or don't have much to chop, I go Liang or Reyna first. Liang's bonus is easy to quantify and quite welcome - but how about Reyna's? I don't even know how much faster you acquire tiles with her. Did someone look into the game files or look closely at the rate you get new tiles with/without her? Is it worth taking her first to grow your borders faster?

Interesting. I've always gone Reyna first and not Magnus b/c I don't do that much chopping and am too lazy to figure out how to do the max chopping strategy other people use. My unscientific assessment is that Reyna's impact is pretty huge when the city is small, but not as big when it's big. So I do indeed always go Reyna first b/c I need my borders to expand quickly early on. But then I struggle to find ways to use her later b/c her later abilities require too much work (mainly the trading stuff) and micromanagement to make effective.

But maybe it was all in my head and she has limited impact.

I've never seen any great results from the border growth. I only ever take her for the GP bonuses.

I like Amani a lot. Once she gets the 4 amenities promo she is great for managing loyalty. I tend to pick Liang or Reyna first depending on which I think will be most advantageous. Then get Amani second and slowly promote as I prepare for war. Sometimes her presence plus a few other things are enough to keep a newly conquered city from flipping.

Most comments I've seen indicate that the border growth increase is hardly noticeable.

Personally, If I'm not picking Magnus first, I pick Amani. An early Suzerainty is pretty handy.

I agree. If you can get a single envoy via meeting them first or completing their quests before the classical era comes around, you can then send her on a grand tour to how many ever CSs you have at least one envoy with and potentially get a lot of era score.

One time, I did that and wracked up 10 era score just from being the first suzerain. It was the difference between a normal age and a golden age.

Just a little tactic to keep in mind. You can do it in the ancient era too, of course. But I find era score is usually quite easy to get in the ancient era.

So Magnus is the best governor to pick first? I don't even harvest and remove features from my capital. :p I guess it's great for early growth and production for ancient wonders?

I mostly choose Liang. +1 builder charges seems huge to me. Magnus is often second because I don't see the need to chop forest so early. And certainly not remove features. Though I admit I don't do this as much as I should, I should be removing most of mine by the atomic age and I don't, usually just the ones in the way.

Reyna needs a buff imho. Most of her abilities seem like trash. The only really useful one seems to be the double adjacency of harbors and commercial hubs. As for her initial ability, the difference seems to be too small to really justify getting her first. You'll get more value out of increased builder charges with Liang. She seems okay at popping one border relatively quickly, but after that it seems to get slow again. Her final ability at buying districts with gold is alright, but the game is finished by this point anyways. If you are rolling in gold, you are most likely wining the game already.

How often are you guys moving govs around to other cities or do most of you keep them in one city most of game?

Brew God

I know most people here are addicted to chopping. I personally am not a fan of it. That said, I still always take Magnus first, and promote him immediately to get Provisions, for population-free Settlers from the capital. Bonus production/food from chops is tertiary for me.

Reyna is a close second/third for me, tied with Liang. The AI has a love affair with Amani, which says a bit how much she adds by giving 2 free variable envoys.

I'm a big fan of Reyna, especially for early boosts to gold production if I can manage to swing a decent adjacency.

Reyna first must be fantastic, the AI picks her every time. :p

Last edited:
I always get extra builder actions first then Magnus, the synergy seems better that way me to me, for my empire-building playstyle.

I guess if it is only 20%, Reyna is a bad first pick.
I never took Amani first actually. Will try to experiment with that. I don‘t see me preferring her to Liang or Magnus yet though.

Sometimes I use Reyna in a new city to get the borders to expand quickly, but I'd never go with her first. Amani, Magnus, and Liang are the first governors I usually go for.

my first 4 governor titles are (in varying order) almost always these:
- hire magnus
- hire liang
- hire amani
- settlers don't cost a pop from magnus

Most of Reyna's abilities are pretty bad unless you do some c-hub harbor combo as Japan or Netherlands. Well maybe if England was still a thing.

I do usually max her out if I go culture pretty fast though. Still would go with Magnus/Liang/ Pingala before though.

Most of Reyna's abilities are pretty bad unless you do some c-hub harbor combo as Japan or Netherlands. Well maybe if England was still a thing.

I do usually max her out if I go culture pretty fast though. Still would go with Magnus/Liang/ Pingala before though.
Its not bad with shipyard... You just need the harbor next to a city center and another district in a triangle for +3... Sea resources are icing on the cake.
But with the right cards, at least its 4x bonus for +12 gold and production... With sea resources, government plaza bonuses, etc. Theoretically it can go up to ridiculous yields (+28 is quite doable as Japan with just city center, plaza and one other district)

For a tundra/snow or desert start you may not want Magnus for the chop but at level 2 he can build settlers with no pop cost. That is still worth it.

But for coastal desert or snow/tundra start you may want Liang cos she can build fisheries.

What's the idea with an early Amani? Often you dont have that many tier 1 buildings that would benefit from having 3 envoys.

Top Bottom