How Good Is Rome?

budweiser

King of the Beers
I just tried a couple openings with Rome. I think they can really get the settlers out fast and get their empire going. The free monuments are good for getting policies sooner.

Here is an emperor screen shot showing 3 cities plus a settler. Where to settle? I can make Legions and I think I can kill 1 neighbor.

Spoiler :

absolutely. free monuments are amazingly good right now since ICS is so strong

That and the no iron legions are also strong with the general lack of resources. And the roads, which of course go with out saying. (
)

A solid top tier Civ that is strong all around without needing any gimmicks to have a good game.

The free monument gives you earlier access to policies such as builder production and settler production which allows you to start expanding and set up infrastructure sooner which is the 2 things you want to do quickly as Rome.

I love Rome mainly for the roads, which just makes everything so much better. It's so much easier to get units from the higher growth/production inner cities out to the fringes when roads already exist most everywhere.

The only bad thing about the free Monument is that I tend to advance in Eras through Civics much more quickly than I'd like otherwise [to keep districts cheaper].

As for settling, I like an aggressive settlement 6 west of Antium (4 south of Gelonus) between your Scout and Slinger. If you want to play less aggressively, on the coast 2 SSE of the Slinger just west (or east, even) of the Rice.

I love Rome mainly for the roads, which just makes everything so much better. It's so much easier to get units from the higher growth/production inner cities out to the fringes when roads already exist most everywhere.

The only bad thing about the free Monument is that I tend to advance in Eras through Civics much more quickly than I'd like otherwise [to keep districts cheaper].

As for settling, I like an aggressive settlement 6 west of Antium (4 south of Gelonus) between your Scout and Slinger. If you want to play less aggressively, on the coast 2 SSE of the Slinger just west (or east, even) of the Rice.

Ah but remember that district scaling is calculated on total number of tech/civics researched, regardless or era. So as long as you remain focused like a laser on the techs/civics you need for your victory, you will only reach them faster and you won't hamper your growth

With legions you can kill all your neighbors, and pillage all their tiles. Then you can repair all the tiles with your legions and then use the legions to chop trees to build more legions. Meanwhile all your conquered cities will get a monument and get a road back to Rome.

For the first time in Civilization Rome is given it's due. It is the premier empire builder and legions hold their own until the late Medieval when muskets come.

i really like instead of some passive buffs they made a really good rome civ where are logistics and infrastructure bonuses are really good.

Rome has great combination of traits.

Great for expanding due to free monuments and roads, and great for growing due to Baths housing bonus.

And as a bonus, there are Legions for those that like to go to war.

Definitely a Tier 1 civilization.

I'd settle the hill right above and left of the Salt (or maybe one tile further northeast to get in aquaduct range of the mountain. Depends on whether you want the city to grow big early on, or just want it as a station post on the way to Scythia and to grab the lux). Then I'd pump out legions and eliminate Scythia if you have any chance at it. Allowing her to live too long will cause you trouble.

Come to think of it, do you get any extra production for settling on top of hills? If not then I'd prefer to avoid settling on top of them when possible, as they're quite useful.

Come to think of it, do you get any extra production for settling on top of hills? If not then I'd prefer to avoid settling on top of them when possible, as they're quite useful.
You do get extra production from settling on plains-hills (but not grassland-hills). Minimum city production is 2f1h, so settling on any tile that's less than 2f or more than 1h will give you bonus food and/or production. It's a mechanism I really hate, but that's how it is.

Yeah the Free monument rocks, 10 turn Code of Laws is soo good. No other Civ can get it that quick, even Pericles has gotta wait for CoL. This synergises well with God King allowing a quick Pantheon or 1 extra Hammer is pretty cool too. The +5 against barbarians allows you to sack Barbarian camps with just your starting warrior before they can even try and start coming for you. The Free monument takes a bit getting used too though, sometimes you are better off just hard teching what you need than screwing around with inspirations, hell even Craftsmanship is better sometimes to hard tech it and build your builders with the bonus, especially if you got good improved yields like forest hills etc. One thing with the free roads is it kinda screws up forward settling and back filling, unless the road goes straight through the city it screws up your trade routes which screws up your maximum trade distance. Legion is arguably one the best UU's when you consider timing and the ability to pillage with impunity, due to the fast repair inherent with Legions.

Rome is exactly as all civs should be - powerful, but not overpowered. Encouraging a certain playstyle, but not being limited to it. UU useful both for defensive builders and aggressive conquerors.
It's in the second best tier behind the brokenly OP ones.

Definitely powerful, instant monuments in new cities + ICS encourage? you get your first government online faster
Auto trading post + ICS again? you get money (A LOT) even with internal trade routes instantly
No iron swords replacement in legion? hell yes now that the spear lineage is nerfed
auto road to capital is nice at since you do not need to worry about micro managing your traders to where you want your road to go

Glad to see I'm not the only one practicing for the first GOTM.

I'm sure Budweiser will still destroy my time by at least 50 turns though . . . . :undecide:

Top Bottom