How good is the worker automated setting?

eldenbri

Chieftain
I'm playing a hot seat game with my three kids, so I'm trying to limit the amount of micro-managing to keep turns flowing along.

I've been using the "automated" setting for workers and suggested my kids use it too.

How bad of an idea is this? Are there any times where you really have to manually intervene? (I've noticed that workers don't always move to newly formed cities right away when they are on automatic.)

Thx!

I've never actually used this setting, even when I was completely new to the Civ series, but I hear automated workers are really bad. Looking at how they build things for the AI, covering their capital with generators, I'd say that assessment is pretty accurate.

Not good, don't use it at all ever. Basically it's making your workers as smart as the AI which is terrible. The same goes for your city management. Lock down tiles on your own, place cities where you see fit.

Human intelligence is far superior to this game's AI.

How good is the worker automated setting?
I know it's a question, but 'good' is really the wrong word here.

The right question is:
How bad is the worker automated setting?
And the answer to that is something like: VERY bad.

But seriously: Automated workers are bad. They improve tiles very inefficiently, tend to flock together and improve a single area while other areas get nothing (even if that area doesn't even have enough population to use all the improvements), don't have any strategy for placing improvements and will instead just use the ones with the most overall-bonuses (which is especially bad when they start spamming terrascapes everywhere - they don't(!) consider maintenance costs.) AND they will completely ignore tiles with Miasma on them which is especially bad if you've got some nice resources with miasma - you'll just not get them.

So overall...if you want to be somewhat efficient, don't use them.

the love to spam Terrascape. Everywhere. And ignore Xenomass, Firaxite, and Floatstone

Top Bottom