[RD] How has Obamacare Affected You?

GoodEnoughForMe

n.m.s.s.
As we near the final conclusion of one of the most secretive, haphazard, and controversial legislative processes that I've been privy to in my entire life, I wanted to take a step back and use this thread as a place for people to explain how one of the most significant and all-encompassing legislative passages of the last 10 years has changed (or not changed) their life. What follows is a personal story. I don't necessarily view it as an attempt to convince (I call my legislators for that), but given the teetering existence of such an influential piece of legislation, I would like to share how, in many ways, Obamacare is one reason I am here today.

By all measurements I was a healthy kid growing up. No broken bones or sprains even though I played sports, perfect blood pressure, not even any allergies to talk about. While I didn't know it at the time, however, my parents were paying 10k a year for our family of 4 to have health insurance, something they came perilously close to dropping until a good friend told them that to do so would be madness.

But in May of 2008, at age 19, after I had moved out, I ended up in the ER and then, for a week, a hospital for the mentally ill. The last thing on my mind at the time was money. In fact, I can't even recall for one second thinking of anything related to money or cost, considering that I was a mere 12 inches from death.

About three weeks after my release, I stumbled upon a pile of bills that my parents had tucked away in a shelf in their living room. They were the bills for my hospitalization. They were almost 15 thousand dollars. The sinking feeling in my stomach at the time was eminently real. I knew that my parents could afford it; 60-70 hour work weeks when I was young managed to help them to a place of middle-upper class comfort by this time in our lives, but I was stunningly aghast at how that meant that, for most people, it would be unaffordable.

A month later my mother and I sat down with an insurance salesdude (this was before Obamacare and marketplaces and all that) and started hashing out getting health insurance for me in case something happened, God forbid. For reference, I lived and still do in Michigan. Everything was going fine, we had narrowed in on a reasonable plan with coverage I needed, when the salesperson started asking me some questions. One of the questions was if I had been hospitalized for mental illness recently. Seeing as how I had, I replied yes.

I was then informed that nobody would cover me until it had been more than 6 months since I had been hospitalized. I walked away that day without insurance.

I shudder to think, looking back, what would have happened if I had to be hospitalized again before the 6 month period was over. My parents may have been comfortable but they were not made of money, and I was fresh out of my freshman year of college and its concurrent debt.

I am 28 now. I work a boring job and earn about 21-22k pre-tax. Thanks to Obamacare, I pay a still ridiculous but at least manageable $105 dollars a month to make sure my 4 prescriptions and regular doctor's appointments do not completely drain me. I own a house, and between that and the subsidies that allow me to afford my own health expenses, I am happy at the independence that is afforded me. Being that I have no college degree, the reality is I probably will never make a ton of money. I have a safety net in my parents, but if certain essential health protections are waived, and the number of plans that cover what I need drastically decrease in amount and increase in price, I, at almost 30 years old, will probably be forced to ask my parents to help me pay for my own health.

I am not pretending that Obamacare is perfect. But I truly can not exist without it, unless my parents would foot the bill, and honestly, I can barely imagine asking them for help at my age without feeling incredibly embarrassed. I've been working since I was 16 and I feel like I should at least be afforded a chance, by my own country, to have individual control and stability over my own health care, and to manage a disease I have no control over and did not choose to be born with.

If you have any other intimate stories involving Obamacare, please share. And if you are as worried as I am about the future of your wellbeing, I beg of you to call your legislator. Thank you.

Last edited:
My pension contains healthcare benefits which are Obama compliant. So coverage hasn't changed.

Early on, my carrier ran afoul of the benefits-to-premiums requirements, and so was required to refund to me $300. Thank you, Obama.

Premiums have crept up only slightly since. Thank you, Obama.

The only way it's affected me is that I heard the phrase "Obamacare" 20,000 times in the past 4 years.

I do have to imagine it's exhausting to think this is still a thing in the richest country on earth to anyone else in a developed or even developing country that has figured it out.

Living in DC no one in Congress cares what I have to say, but Obamacare has enabled me to stay on my parents' insurance until the end of this year, and that's pretty cool because actually buying and figuring out your own health insurance is just horrible - I looked into doing so when I first moved to DC before we calculated that it would be better for me to remain on my parents' insurance until I was 26 regardless.

I imagine that the Obamacare exchange website made actually looking at the options much easier than it was before.

I imagine that the Obamacare exchange website made actually looking at the options much easier than it was before.

It really did. It was so antiquated. You had to find middlemen and hope they were good at what they did. Now I can just bring up a website and search specific medications by name and find plans that cover them and everything.

It enabled someone close to me to gain access to insurance that would allow her to finally get a prolonged health issue checked. Once it's finalized, this time next year she should hopefully know what's up. Even with Trumpcare I think that'll still be the case since Washington is fairly committed to its anti-Trump approach so far.

The only three thing that it negatively effected me were hours being cut so that my self and other part time workers don't go into the hourly threshold to give employer health insurance. Negatively impacted any sort of job prospects since employers would be less likely to hire people given the added cost to Obamacare (unless they already provide employees health benifits that satisfy the Obamacare standards).
Paying the Obamacare tax for not having health insurance.

I mainly look forward to an overhaul to remove the Obamacare tax, define full time as 40 hrs/week, and make it less of a job killer.

The only three thing that it negatively effected me were hours being cut so that my self and other part time workers don't go into the hourly threshold to give employer health insurance.

I don't get how you're blaming this on Obamacare and not on your abusive employer.

The part-time/full-time criticism Civ pointed out is valid, insomuch as I don't expect employers in the US to take the moral high ground, but without the mandate, which the Senate bill repeals and replaces with nothing, man. I don't even want to know what the prices will get to if nobody healthy gets enrolled. Plus, it created more jobs than any it killed.

Last edited:
Made me get off my butt and register with the VA. Just in case I ever decide to admit that I'm here and file a tax return I wanted to be able to honestly say I had health care coverage. As karma would have it not very long after I had a sinus infection that I just couldn't shake and rather than going to Mexico for antibiotics I was able to get them from the VA. So a win overall.

I got insurance.

The part-time/full-time criticism Civ pointed out is valid, insomuch as I don't expect employers in the US to take the moral high ground, but without the mandate, which the Senate bill repeals and replaces with nothing, man. I don't even want to know what the prices will get to if nobody healthy gets enrolled. Plus, it created more jobs than any it killed.

That's not a good thing. One of the big reasons healthcare costs in the US are so high compared to other countries is because of the number of useless middleman jobs. In the long run, you reduce healthcare costs by automating away associated jobs.

oh, the employer is cutting you off... Okay, makes sense now. So Obamacare required employers to insure the kids up to 26...?

single payer would relieve businesses of having to deal with insurance while taxing (and insuring) youngsters, but there's probably a million people working for insurance companies.

That's not a good thing. One of the big reasons healthcare costs in the US are so high compared to other countries is because of the number of useless middleman jobs. In the long run, you reduce healthcare costs by automating away associated jobs.

I meant more as in productivity is helped by having more insured people.

I beg of you to call your legislator. Thank you.

Dont worry Trump promised coverage for everyone, and no one would lose there insurance and it will be so easy and fast
This was always the Republican plan, only the Deploreables deluded themselves into thinking otherwise, Thankfully most of it will be phased in after 4 years just in time for the voters to forget who pass this bill into law / faux new propaganda to work its magic. Saddly though for mostly republican states will opt out and return to a pre-Obamacare market.

It will probably take like Kansas around 8 years for the trainwreck to become evident
Try to hang on, or look at moving to a Blue state instead.

EDIT: And stop buying so many I-Pods

Top Bottom