1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How, how, how do you open .civbeyondswordsave files?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Mouthwash, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Was creating a scenario in Magister Modmod for FfH2 when my computer began lagging tremendously (probably have a virus), so I decided to restart. But my save went wrong, and now when I try to open it it says it requires mod "NONE" to be loaded - when I do, it takes me back to vanilla and gives me a "Runtime Error! This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way."

My only hope seems to be retrieving the information from the save itself (a regular one, not worldbuilder). But it can't be read in Notepad, even when I change it to a .txt file. Google doesn't have anything about them. It's as if I'm the first person to be in this situation.

2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

You play it as a scenario

3. Mouthwash

It isn't a worldbuilder save, remember. I was being foolish.

4. topsecret

topsecret Spymaster

There used to be a save editor in Utility Programs. You could check around there...

5. Mouthwash

None of them seem to work. And I doubt they could edit Ffh2 saves anyway.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  6. lymond

Ah, I see. I misunderstood initially. Been around here a long time and don't hear much about corrupted saves. Just a thought, but it may not necessarily be a corrupted save, but rather an issue somewhere else with the game or maybe even the mod (I know FFH well but not Magister). I assumed you cleaned your system, right. Have you changed anything else recently with the game?

I might try a fresh install of the game, and mod. Uninstall the game entirely. Make sure all IV related files are deleted from the system, including cache. Then reinstall.

Also, make sure you check the Magister mod sub-forum to see if there are any known issues outstanding with the mod. It could be unstable.

(Oh, and what version of Civ IV do you have?...and OS)

edit: Oh.and I'm not sure if Magister is an active mod but, if so, make sure you install the same version as that the save was generated.

7. Mouthwash

Yeah, I was changing buildinginfos and leaderheadinfos, but no other save is affected this way.

How do you clear the cache for Civ IV? I can't do this anyway, since I've edited lots of stuff.

I've read most of it; there are no problems. I doubt very much that it's the mod.

Windows 10. Of course I have the latest patch.

Look, the information is still right there in the file. You're telling me that no one knows any way to extract it other than opening it ingame?

8. lymond

This is your problem..lol. You simply and absolutely do not change game files, unless you are creating your own mod, in which case the modified game files are mod assets. Never change vanilla game files...ever....or a mod's assets if not your own, unless you know what you are doing.

Sorry, never tried editing a save game file directly. WB files can be edited in notepad. Anyway, that is not your problem. If you reinstall the game and the mod, you should be fine.[/QUOTE]

9. Mouthwash

I do know what I'm doing! It was basic xml stuff. Also, I didn't edit anything between my last proper save and the last one.

How do you know this? Has this same problem happened before?

10. Mouthwash

Okay, I actually kept an extra save for this. It's significantly behind but I'll just do the work again, I guess.

11. 2popbulb

2popbulb Chieftain

Golden rule:
    If you want to edit game files,ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP OF THOSE FILES!!!
    And a backup of edited files in case you want to replace them with original ones.