1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How I adapted Rhye's DLL to my map and civs

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by srpt, Jun 27, 2011.

1. srpt

srpt Deist

I just finished adapting Rhye's DLL to my map and civs and since there is at least 1 person getting ready to do the same who I think is a beginner I thought I would write up what I did. I'm still having python issues with the mod but I think the DLL is fine. Anyway this gives the scope of the task, which is always helpful to people doing something for the first time. if I am missing anything crucial just tell me. my starting point was RFC Marathon and when I started the dll the mod already had all or almost all the xml done, in this case new tech tree, civs units, extra religions etc.

this is a bit of a "cheater's guide" as I am not telling you to go learn programming. if you are a complete beginner, as I am, you will still need to look at statements in the code and figure out what they are doing. you will have to backtrack and read some chapters of some tutorials at some point. I can't say I know C++, but I know quite a bit more about it then I did when I started.

1. Compiling
    get Asaf's tutorial (link in his signature) and compile the regular DLL and then Rhye's DLL. there are other ways but this one worked for me and Asaf is active on the forums and answered all my questions when I had them.

2. make your source code changes
    there are 2 files you will change almost completely: Rhyes.cpp and Rhyes.h. these have the list of civs, list of techs, building etc and the settler maps start dates and other things.

for the rest of the files you are basically changing references from Rhyes objects (civs, techs, whatever) to yours. there are also unique powers, which you can either comment out or give to one of your civs, lots of late start conditions for Rhye's 600AD start, which again you can use or comment out. search for "Rhye", "edead" to find the places to change.

then just run the compiler and fix bugs as it finds them. this took me a long time but all the errors it presented made sense to me except for 2, which both turned out to be weird typos and nothing fundamental.

to give you an idea of the changes, here is the list I made when I went through Rhye's source code with winmerge (not offering this as comprehensive, but to give you the scope)

Spoiler :
    Cv files

CvArea.cpp - include CvRhyes.h, barb/ind power levels
    CvCity.cpp - late civ growth bonuses, speedtweaks, other changes
    CvCity.h - building & culture count changes
    CvCityAI.cpp - noncritical changes
    CvDeal.cpp - tweaks
    CvDefines.h - max players, tweak
    CvDLLButtonPopup.cpp - civ name display
    CvDLLEntity.cpp
    CvDLLEventReporterIFaceBase.h - add #pragma once to top
    CvDLLWidgetData.cpp - include CvRhyes.h, stability, UHV and dynamic civ names
    CvDLLWidgetData.h - as above
    CvGame.cpp - many important changes
    CvGame.h - important change
    CvGameCoreDLL.cpp - small debug feature
    CvGameCoreUtils.cpp - AI tweaks, edead's turn/year counter
    CvGameCoreUtils.h - edead's turn/year counter
    CvGameInterface.cpp - 1 comment and tweaks
    CvGameTextMgr.cpp - date visibility, UHV display, extra civic column, embassies
    CvGameTextMgr.h - 1 line
    CvGlobals.cpp - tweaks
    CvGlobals.h - tweaks
    CvInfos.cpp - contact breaking, balance, stability
    CvInfos.h - balance, tweaks
    CvMap.cpp - tweaks, continents
    CvPlayer.cpp - UPs, tweaks, dynamic names, balance, settler maps
    CvPlayer.h - important changes
    CvPlayerAI.cpp - city razing, no. of players, balance, tech choices
    CvPlayerAI.h - tweaks plus 1 line
    CvPlot.cpp - plot clearing, salt lakes, auto-play fix, culture block, tweaks, odd indent difference
    CvPlot.h - tweaks, plot clearing
    CvRandom.cpp - 1 line
    CvSelectionGroup.cpp - fixes, tweaks
    CvTeam.cpp - many changes
    CvTeam.h -tweaks plus 2 lines
    CvTeamAI.cpp - many changes
    CvTeamAI.h - tweaks plus 1 line
    CvUnit.cpp -mostly tweaks and balance
    CvUnit.h - 1 line about upgrades
    CvUnitAI.cpp - tweaks and changes
    CvUnitAI.h - 2 lines
    CvXMLLoadUtilitySet.cpp - 1 line

when you have something that compiles without errors, you can move on to the python, which is where I am now. I am still getting a "You have been defeated" when starting as the later civs so I may have to go back and recompile, but the auto-play works.( I should also say that when I first ran the map with the modded dll stability plus the basic rhye's python structure was already in the mod, not bug free but in place, and I know there are lots of stability references in the dll source so I don't know what would happen if you tried to use the dll with a mod that didn't have that python already.)

I hope this is helpful to someone. I had a great time doing it and learned a lot. Looking forward to playing Rhye's and Fall of Mesoamerica and India.

2. hangman

hangman almost-scientist

Awesome! I'll definitely use this when I get to it.

3. hangman

hangman almost-scientist

So I followed Asaf's tutorial, and I can compile the regular BtS files with the .sln and .vcproj files he gave a link to. How do I compile the RFC-type gamecores? I'm trying to use the SoI engine, for the record.

4. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

Exactly the same way. You can either create a new project file and add all the cpp & h files, or use the project files from Asaf and add CvRhyes.cpp and CvRhyes.h to it.

5. hangman

hangman almost-scientist

It looks okay when I compile it, but I keep getting errors when I try to run it:

Assert Failed

File: CvGlobals.cpp
    Line: 3612
    Expression: strcmp(szType, "NONE")==0 || strcmp(szType, "")==0
    Message: info type ERA_ANCIENT not found, Current XML file is: xml\GameInfo/CIV4GraphicOptionInfos.xml

----------------------------------------------------------

Assert Failed

File: CvXMLLoadUtilityGet.cpp
    Line: 656
    Expression: false
    Message: Error in GetChildXmlVal function, unable to find a child node

----------------------------------------------------------

Assert Failed

File: CvGlobals.cpp
    Line: 3612
    Expression: strcmp(szType, "NONE")==0 || strcmp(szType, "")==0
    Message: info type BUILDING_RIHLA not found, Current XML file is: xml\Buildings/CIV4BuildingInfos.xml

Also, which .rc file should I be using? There isn't one in the SoI source files...