How I get stable multiplayer games going.

porkdiesel

Chieftain
I've played a few very stable 150+ turn games. Here's how:

1. Disable the pre-order DLC if you have it. There's an issue when mixing players that do/don't have it. Right click the game in your Steam Library, select View Downloadable Content, uncheck the Exoplanets DLC and click Close. Steam will update the game.

2. Only play with people that have a ping lower than 100ms. It's best not to mix players from different parts of the world in the same game, if you try it don't be surprised if it crashes.

3. 4 players seems to be the most stable, 6 players will probably work, I haven't had the balls (yet) to try 8.

4. Don't click spam in between turns. Only make moves when your turn isn't marked as finished.

5. If you have a fairly old computer that chokes between turns I'd imagine that's not good either.

:goodjob:

Thanks for the info!

One question though, when you say 4 players are your referring to 4 live players or 4 civs altogether? As in do you think it will be as stable with 4 live players and 4 AI (8 civ game) or strictly 4 civs in a game.

From my experience, playing completely without AI Civs did wonders to the stability of Civ 5 games, but that was quite a while ago.

Top Bottom