1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

how i got rid of CTDs (and no, not by uninstalling the game)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Bug Reports' started by AsnoT, Mar 13, 2006.

1. AsnoT

AsnoT Mostly Civilized

i bought a new computer for playing civ4 after getting really frustrated at crashes every second turn late in the game, etc etc. (specs for the crashing puter in sig)

now i got another MSI board (K8 neo), with a gainward geforce 6600gt and a creative x-fi, and of course 2gb ram. (and win2k as always, latest geforce driver)

i have been playing civ4 on that rig for 2 weeks now, and it has not crashed EVEN ONCE.

i only play the longest game variant, and now i am able to let it run from beginnning to end, without a program restart. towards the endgame, wonder movies start to stutter a bit, but it's not like they're big news any more anyway.

i can therefor now confidently tell everyone who's complaining about crashes - it is purely hardware dependent (you're VERY glad now, aren't you?).

that doesn't exculpate firaxis/2kgames completely, but at least it means they have produced a game that CAN run properly, if only on selected hardware.

2. Philips

Philips Chieftain

Well, that is more information than Take2 has given us.

I wish a list of known compatible/incompatable hardware would be released. I just upgraded my machine. I would be willing to replace any one piece of hardware, but I can't afford to buy a whole new computer just for Civ IV.