How I learned to stop worrying and love "Civ War"

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by EmpireOfCats, Dec 18, 2010.

1. EmpireOfCats

EmpireOfCats Death to Giant Robots

I played a very fun Mongolian scenario last night, and had one of those epiphany things: If you see Civ V as a spin-off, not the continuation of the franchise mainline, it is actually very enjoyable. It's "Civ War", not "Civ V" -- you don't build an empire to stand the test of time, but a life-support system for an army. That's the whole secret.

(I'm tempted to call it "Civ Var" with a German accent, but I'm not sure everybody would get it.)

This explains why the game is so much more shallow than Civ IV BtS, why stuff like health and religion were removed, why the other froms of victory seem like an afterthought, and why resources and yields are so brain-dead. They are. You don't need any of this for war, so they took it out.

I still have some hope that in about half a year, they will release a "beyond the sword" expansion that adds the depth and complexity that are the hallmarks of a real Civ game. But even if they don't, I'm sort of at peace now with the game: It's war, baby. And I'll be keeping the "real" Civ, Civ IV BtS, on my hard drive until Civ VI comes around and hopefully continues the main series.

2. joyous_gard

joyous_gard Prince

Nice thread title

3. Fabien

Fabien Warlord

I have to disagree. Most of the empire building elements of Civ BTS were artificial as well (Health and Religion were especially one dimensional in their applications) ; War has always been common in the civ franchise. Hence 95 % of the units you build in game are for war, regardless of the Version you're playing ;).

The Diplomatic and Science Victories are much easier to accomplish by war in Civ 4 BTS than anything else, especially the diplomatic victory is just a cheap version of the domination Victory and not much else. On higher difficulties it was imperative that you had enough cities to support your economy and you had to acquire them by war. There was no way around that. Once you had the critical Landmass you were actually able to pick the victory condition you liked and try to win the game; the same is much or less true in Civ 5 (But you can't annex cities if you go for the cultural Victory). As soon as the computer players become dangerous, Civ becomes a War Game anyway, since there are no other ways to hurt the enemy but war. Espinoage was certainly not powerful enough to totally cripple an opponent, but it was a good mechanic nonetheless.

4. ohioastronomy

ohioastronomy King

I think you're missing his point. It was entirely possible to win - and enjoy - prior entries in the series without engaging in war (yes, even at higher levels). The peaceful game in Civ V is very, very shallow and boring - and this is different from earlier entries in the series. I suspect that you enjoy the war aspect of the series. As someone who has never viewed the Civ series as a good wargame, on the other hand, I'm left only with the war aspect as even slightly interesting. And, relative to other wargames, even Civ V is pretty sorely lacking. That's the problem.

5. charon2112

charon2112 King

I don't seem to have a problem playing as a builder, but maintaining a military that's close to the level of the AI's seems to be a necessity.

6. Malkaviel

Malkaviel Prince

7. Fabien

Fabien Warlord

Again, I disagree. in the average standard game of Civ BTS 4 (Immortal +) winning without actively dowing (or inviting an attack) the AI will ultimately always win (since they have very high passive bonuses), unless you're very lucky and can go for a cultural or science win without being bothered in the meantime. Almost all Games (Sisiutlis ALC and so on) I've seen on civfanatics so far contained war in one way or another, which leads me to believe that war in Civilization is not a situational strategy you apply when needed, but a core mechanic. Hence I consider civilization a war game of some sort. Sure it has a big empire building component as well, but when it comes to it, the critical thing is still war.

Now I agree, they took out a lot of options in Civ 5 (Especially when it comes to city specialization) but the general feeling is still the same, atleast for me. Civ 5 does not really change the balance, you just have fewer popups telling you to build stuff ;).

PS: Out of curiosity, which wargame does not work like civ or are superior to it?

8. Uniform Sierra

Uniform Sierra Warlord

Dr. Strangelove

9. Babri

Babri Emperor

Well you're right but you forgot that majority of civ players play around noble/prince difficulty not Immortal or higher & a fair portion of them don't prefer warmonger too much. Personally I love ciV but the real problem is that it is not optimized properly & lags too much on anything larger than standard map.

10. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I don't think Civ V is a war game. Diplomacy and cultural victories are much improved and, along with space race, give good options for peaceful victories.

11. CornPlanter

CornPlanter Emperor

You'd be right, except that there are quite a few better war games at the moment. Civ5 doesn't fit anywhere.

12. Dralix

Dralix Killer of threads

I always thought I was part of the (small) minority that plays more a builder style. But reading a lot of the threads, it sounds like most people here went the peaceful route. I wonder if there are any polls from a few years ago I could dig up ...

13. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

I have to disagree on the grounds that it's now fully possible to go through an entire game without going to war.

It's just that you can't keep a grand total of 3 units and then abuse the Friends/Pleased Garbage like you could in CivIV

14. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

So this is another thread about how a player has noticed that Civ5 isn't Civ4?

15. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

I have to agree with the OP's point about your civ being a life support system for your army. :D If you maintain a large standing army and don't use it, your support costs will drag your civ closer and closer to bankruptcy as the units age (for example, older workers cost more upkeep than newly-built ones even although worker units never gain any experience) ... and if you don't keep a standing army, you get invaded and royally raped by the AI. :D

16. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

What gave away? The amount of praise levied towards BTS?

Because it's totally impossible to find a good middle.

17. playshogi

playshogi Emperor

What are the better turn-based war games out there?

18. trueblue

trueblue Prince

this.

19. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

Well I have never said that I would prefer to go back to any edition of Civ4 which was equally flawed (and worse than Civ5 in many ways). I am more concerned in Civ going forward and becoming progressively better. Now that being said, there ARE one or two things from previous civs that they took out, which would be better 'back in' the game, going forward. ;)

20. ChaplainDMK

ChaplainDMK Warlord

Evrey Civ game was sooner or later about war for most of us. Sure you could make it easier on yourself by making a tight diplomatic net, but most games are still about making an army either to defend or to attack. Civ IV just had a load of stupid variables in between so people would go "omg this is so hxc!"
    Like most people point out health and religion are one dimensional as hell, and while improving the concepts would be a far better alternative to just taking them out, I still think that the only reason Civ V seems so shallow is because the diplomacy is kinda broken and buildings and tile improvements do so little.