1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How insane is the AI gold bonus?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Fizpez2, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Fizpez2

Fizpez2 Chieftain

I've played a couple games post patch mostly at King level (and I saw somewhat similar before) - since I'm usually playing on Small maps (end of turn wait more than anything) it's not too hard to keep track of what's going on with regards to run away Civs.

My game before last Lizzy was well above 15k gold banked in 1800 or so and pulling in some obscene amount per turn - the weird thing was is that she was not some uber Civ controlling 2/3rds of the map - she had her share and maybe a bit more she had taken but was FAR from controlling a majority of the world.

Needless to say she bought a diplo victory - I've turned it off for my last two games but it made me feel dirty :mischief:

I know puppets focus gold and that you can get nice returns (200+/turn) if you've captured quite a few strong gold type cities but she (in particular) was hauling in at least 3x/turn more than I have ever seen - do they (AI) get a multiplier or something?

2. AndrewDJ

AndrewDJ Warlord

I don't know if the AI gets a gold bonus, but as a human player, I've found that Elizabeth/English tends to produce a lot of gold. Go Pottery -> Sailing initially and build the Great Lighthouse for your first wonder, and odds are your first Great Person will be a Great Merchant. The AI, in addition to whatever bonuses it's getting, is probably following a similar path.

3. aguds

aguds Warlord

Hiawatha got 35k in the bank, and refuses to buy any of my stuff and has a stance of 'guarded'.. I'm really not looking forward to when he DoW's me and insta-buys three new armies to rape me with..

4. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

don't worry, he won't buy 40 units like a human would, he'll keep that gold in reserver to, um, er, buy walls if you invade or maybe buy up some CS's.

Speaking of lots of gold, my "fun" inca immortal game turned into "not fun" when I looked up and saw alexander with 12 (!!!???) CS allies. he literally had every single CS in the europe/asia/africa continent (16 total) until I stole 2 maritimes from him then invaded a cultural and militaristic. insane! and he's at 60% tech right now, too, I'm in 3rd place with 40%. definitely fun to see him actually use his UA at least, but I don't know if I can win this game.

pre-patch I never saw anybody except siam go for CS's. this is just one more reason to wipe out siam and alex early in any game.