1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

how is a mid-late game military victory possible? (Prince)

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by caduceo, Jan 27, 2018.

1. caduceo

caduceo Chieftain

just on prince difficulty not even King, i have all of africa to myself, i'm ahead of everyone on everything, and then all of a sudden wave after wave of great prophets descend like a swarm and my kingdom is down to 0 happy faces. I have notre dame, chichen itza, massive army, but Moderator Action: <snip> if i can do anything with it because i'm sitting at exactly 0 happiness. it's not because of autocracy either, none of the other civs have even gotten there yet.

like, how do you even deal with the warmonger penalties? am i just supposed to build as large an army as i can support, destroy the dude i want to wipe out, and just eat the unhappiness penalties? even when i've taken a city before writing is researched, prehistoric times, oh Moderator Action: <snip> my empire immediatly plunges into the Unhappy Zone for a long Moderator Action: <snip> time, even for just a puppet. God knows i can't annex.

the game isn't impossible at all, i could easily, no effort required, do a space race and win before any of the other civs could even get 1/4th of my progress. it's boring...though. i just sit on my units and turtle until I get the tech to build Moderator Action: <snip> and then win. there's no fight to that strategy at all. i'd like to do a military victory, but not only is there the unhappiness thing but the Moderator Action: <snip> will vote against me in the world congress and ban my goddamned luxuries they already did that once. military victory really feels impossible now, even on Prince.

Moderator Action: Please help us keep this a family-friendly forum -- Browd
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2018
  2. mbbcam

mbbcam Prince

City State allies are a useful source of happiness. It is also worth completing the Commerce tree for the extra happiness that gives. If you go Liberty you get happiness for connecting cities with roads or harbours, which helps with conquest. Razing captured cities is also often advisable, unless they are very good. To complete Domination victory you only need the capitals.

3. claudiupb

claudiupb King

From what I know Warmonger Penalty has no direct effect on happiness. Conquering cities will bring 3 unhappiness from the new city and then 1unhappiness for each citizen. If you annex you get more, but that is erased once you build a courthouse. The game is intentionally this way making it very hard to have a big number of cities, and yes this can become frustrating over time. But this also happens if you plant a lot of cities.
    If you are planning to win domination then it is best to raze all the cities that are not worth having and also keep low population on cities you have so that you can benefit at maximum from local happiness. Of course this is hard because you need high population to have good science or you may lag behind, so you need to find a balance for this. Another way is to use religion to help, religion has a lot of policies that help with happiness, even some global happiness.

4. meatball20

meatball20 rockhound

I can only defend my cities on prince. The enemy keeps healing their units automatically. Its like they level up after every battle and its not pillaging cause that heals units to.

5. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

I sell my crap cities off to an AI, and don't sell that AI any of my luxuries. Makes them unhappy--not me.

raider980 likes this.
  6. Acken

Acken Deity

Late game you have a lot of happiness coming from ideology. Mid Game can be difficult if you captured a lot. Should not be a problem for a few extra cities if you invested in city states and happiness policies/buildings and razed/sold crappy cities.

7. formerdc81

formerdc81 Chieftain

BURN ALL cities that don't have unique luxuries or wonders or aren't forward operating bases for your army (and even those should be temporary until the next city is defeated). There is no point in keeping them.

Don't focus too hard on science and population mid-game. Use the early game to get ahead in science and then use the mid-game to build military (where most domination civs are strongest) and then obliterate the enemy. This should set back your rivals enough that the rest of the game can be played at your leisure.

Also, maintain alliance with city-states that give happiness and get the happiness wonders (Notre Dame, Taj Mahal, Circus Maximus) and policies (Road Link Happiness, Monarchy, Commerce finisher) and religion happiness buildlings (Pagodas :D).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018