How is bombard damage calculated?

Gingerbread Man

Dark Magus
I am wondering, how is the damage done to a unit by bombard calculated? I will be doing experiments, finding the variables that affect it.

Unless somebody already knows - in that case, tell me, please!

Chance of artillery failure is always a minimum of 110%.

Sorry for the sarcasm, I've grown so disillisioned with bombardment I rarely use it, as I think a great many others do as well. Whatever you discover I'm sure will be welcome and appreciated news.

Bombard with ships is woefully bad, but I don't know how anyone can get through to the modern age without using artillery. I have fairly good luck with it. It's especially effective against troops out in the open.

Bombardment works just like any other attack. So a catapult bombarding a horseman in the open is just like a 4:1 attack. Rate of fire gives several shots, making several hits possible.

Against cities, before any attack is made, the target is randomly selected: 25% city improvement, 25% citizens and 50% defender. If a selected target can't be damaged (i.e. a size 1 city, city with no destoyable improvements or all units at 1hp), the attack is an automatic miss. With non-destoyable buildings I mean wonders, the palace, aqueducts and hospitals.

The only thing I can't remember if it has been researched are tile improvements, like railroads or irrigations. I guess they have some intrinsic defensive value. Maybe should try to test that? :)

Well, with my research, I found that the bomard strength is the same as attack strength, but there is only as many rounds of attack as there is rate of fire.

Maybe if every unit's rate-of-fire was increased by one, it would be useful.

I found Artillery-Guerrila/Infantry pairing quite an effective part of my hostile takeover of the Roman Empire in my latest game.
But it is true that naval bombardment is practically useless against cities... Marginally useful against tile improvements...

Originally posted by superslug
Chance of artillery failure is always a minimum of 110%.

Sorry for the sarcasm, I've grown so disillisioned with bombardment I rarely use it, as I think a great many others do as well. Whatever you discover I'm sure will be welcome and appreciated news.

I will tell you why.

In original version( 1.07) defensive value against bombing is 4 ( building and citizen ). Firaxis increase this value to 8 in version 1.16 and to 16 in 1.21,1.29, PTW.

If you keep this 16 as a defensive value against bombing, then catapult miss all the time, canon are worthless and artilery and bomber miss most of the time. This increase from 4 to 16 is the dumbess change firaxis made.

So i suggest to everyone to lower back this value to 4 through editor ( under general setting, defense ag bombardement)

Two Q's - is bombard effected by rivers? And is it effected by city size? So a building with 16 defence, in a metropolis will have 32 defence?

The city defense appears to be independent of city size. I've long wished it to be differentiated, so Catapults had a reasonable chance of hitting Ancient Towns, while Radar Arty didn't instantly shred Modern metropoleis.

Catapults and Cannons are a bit weak IMHO, altho' useful in certain situations. Arty is the only thing making offensive war doable between Inf and Tanks, and is highly useful well into the Modern Era.

The city appears to be independent of city size. I've long wished it to be differentiated, so Catapults had a reasonable chance of hitting Ancient Towns, while Radar Arty didn't instantly shred Modern metropoleis.

Well, what do you think would happen if somebody decided to launch explosive rockets and fire artillery into New York? It would be destroyed, because there are so many targets, and all the building are close together.

What I think should be done is make city walls a lot more powerful, and have the only way to destroy it would be using artilery, catapults, and cannons. Look at the historical significance of cannons. they helped to bring down Byzantium, and they were important in so many other wars.

The Great Wall no less!

Immediately the question arises which Wonder is the most vulnerable... The Great Library, the Sistine Chapel?

Originally posted by Anti-EUA
Hurricane - I have seen my brother destroy The Great Wall!
I think there's a chance of hitting a wonder, yes!

Sooooo, where is the save? :D

I'm sorry, but I think your brother just destroyed a city wall. That's the first city improvement that gets whacked by bombardment.

Top Bottom