1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How is the AI currently?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by japanesesamurai, Jun 29, 2020.

1. japanesesamurai

japanesesamurai Warlord

I havent played civ for awhile. Last patch I played was the april 2019 patch. I noticed new patches came out recently
    So how is the AI currently? Any improvements?
    I stopped playing as I was beating deity over and over again.
    Is it worth installing again?

2. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

There was a lot of noticeable improvements, but nothing that will stop you from beating Deity.

3. Infixo

Infixo Deity

4. The Civs 6

The Civs 6 Warlord

The AI has improved with the new frontier pass, enough to make giving the game worth a shot again. Just IMHO.

5. JesseS

JesseS Chieftain

The AI has noticeably improved in terms of city and district placement, religious belief choices, city state suzerainty, and defensive combat, but still doesn't effectively wage offensive wars or target victory conditions. After you get past turn 50 or so on standard speed, you're still not going to face any real risk of losing and any fun you get out of the game is just going to come from optimizing your own play.

If you want a real challenge from the Deity AI, though, try an online speed game. The AI is much more aggressive on online speed and can just constantly crank out units. They won't take your initial delegations and, if your military is smaller than your neighbors (which it almost certainly will be), they will declare war. It's a real challenge to fend them off while still keeping up in development. The AI's bonuses are magnified while your human advantage in planning, maneuvering units, micro-managing tiles, and chopping is minimized. Handpick some good opponents as well, to create military threats in the early game and at least some competition on each of the victory paths for the mid-to-late game--I suggest some combination of Korea, Australia, Macedon, Nubia, Russia, America, China, Rome, and Pericles Greece.

Cedbird77 and glider1 like this.
  6. Infixo

Infixo Deity

Not sure how did you arrive to this conclusion?
    The AI is not able to properly score half of the pantheons and thus can never choose them even if they would be the best choice.
    It just so happens that E.g. religious settlements has a unit granted and it boosts the score significantly, so AI chooses it. Not because AI is better at choosing, but because this pantheon is OP. Take away this one, and AI cannot make a good choice.

7. JesseS

JesseS Chieftain

Mm, I remember there was probably close to a year where the AI would just not pick religious settlements until quite late, even after it had been buffed to its current state. I think it was the first NFP patch that changed the AI's prioritization of religious settlements so that it now goes quite early. As of the last patch as well, the AI is picking Choral Music much earlier (either first or second) and letting warrior monks go. Combined with the balance passes we've had of pantheon and religious beliefs, I'd say the pantheon/religious game is in a much better state now than it was a year ago, with a few good choices that are dependent on your map and strategy, and reasonably good AI prioritization of those options.

8. Infixo

Infixo Deity

AI started choosing RS because Firaxis finally fixed a bug in Earth Goddess scoring. The bug that's existed for 3 years.
    This bug caused the AI to score all tiles in the city, even if they didn't meet the pantheon criteria, thus giving huge values like 500+. Very rarely any other pantheon could compete. And RS before the settler was added were scored for approx. 20-25. With the settler added this is scored for 100-140. This is sufficient to beat (usually) all other pantheons because 10 of them practially always score as 0. Not because they are worthless but because the scoring doesn't take into account any future actions - improvements that can be built, tiles that can be acquired, etc. So sorry, but despite the game's key marketing message, in this regard the AI is absolutely unable to play the map.

AntSou, kaspergm and adrifranchise like this.
  9. IMADAJ

IMADAJ Chieftain

I wish Alpha Star could be brought into the game somehow, and then a slider to dumb it down of course. :)

10. JaeChunDaeSung

JaeChunDaeSung Prince

They're a bit less predictable in choice of religious beliefs, which is a nice break in monotony, for now.

11. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

I'm so glad I finally do not get to pick Choral Music if I'm too slow. That's always bothered me.

12. japanesesamurai

japanesesamurai Warlord

Ok so basically, the AI improved marginally but the game is still too easy?
    Whats the state of real strategy mod currently? Infixo, if memory serves me well, I believe you are the creator of this mod, yes?

Thanks for the tip regarding changing the game speed.
    Also, if you populate a small map with lots of civs, the difficulty gets a boost too.
    Theres also some xml editing you can do to make your games harder and stuff like that. However, after like turn 150 the AI is either too passive or brainddead stupid. This is the biggest problem with this game, really, the AI does not actively tries to win. It just sits there doing random stuff. I was hoping the game would have been improved in this regard

I was considering starting my initial post with this line indeed! :D

glider1 likes this.