How is this X-PacK? Will it get me back into Civ?

Tekee

Bahama Mama
I had Civilization 4 but have since botten bored of it
So what is your opinions about BTS?
Is it good or bad?
What is broken in it? I heard Espionage was pretty bad

It's pretty good and definately worth it, however there are a few things that need patching (espionage, corporations, military academy bug)

Playing BtS will make you need to change your underwear. It's tasty. :)

alright, but more about its broken features,
When playing the game does it feel broken or in need of patching?

Yes I will try to learn to use state property too ;)
From what I am getting this game has a bad Espionage system and a bad Corporations system,
Do the other good features enhance the game?
Should I just wait for patch?

Neither are bad or broken, though both could use some tweaking. :)

Definitely worth the money though.

Yes I will try to learn to use state property too ;)
From what I am getting this game has a bad Espionage system and a bad Corporations system,
Do the other good features enhance the game?
Should I just wait for patch?

Espionage is fine, just there's a bug re: water poisoning/foment unrest that unintentionally triples their effectiveness (or even more than triples) under Marathon.

Corps increase inflation too much. Perhaps they'll fix it so inflation isn't out of control.

Espionage is fine, just that one small specific issue.

Corporations are fine as they are and I use them, they could be tweaked, but life is good for now.

Espionage is fine, just there's a bug re: water poisoning/foment unrest that unintentionally triples their effectiveness (or even more than triples) under Marathon.

Corps increase inflation too much. Perhaps they'll fix it so inflation isn't out of control.

Yes indeed. But my cities are fine since I prepare for it, there are usually a few farms around my cities and when the city is poisoned the city just works the food tiles... all I ever play are Huge maps so Marathon is pretty much a must.

I dont see why everyone cries about corporations. They seem to work ok for me. I think the espionage is ok it just had the potential to be a lot better

I think it is great and has really got me back in to Civ4. I think colonies are a bit disappointing but overall it is definitely worth the £££.

I had Civilization 4 but have since botten bored of it
So what is your opinions about BTS?
Is it good or bad?
What is broken in it? I heard Espionage was pretty bad

Don't buy it, it's a waste of money. The two most advertised features, corporations and espionage, are broken. People say that there is a patch for that, but it's not an official one and doesn't fix the worse bugs. If you got bored with vanilla and warlords, you'd probably be unimpressed by BtS. The expansion only adds a bunch of new civs plus some buggy and overcomplicated features that contribute nothing to gameplay. The scenarios are… meh, except for a couple of historical world-wide scenarios ("Rise and Fall" mods). These are ok but CPU-intensive, it takes ages between turns. The most disappointing thing is the new AI, it's very buggy and in many ways even worse than warlords.

Overall the X-Pack is very good. There are a couple of things that are indeed broken, as mentioned. But there is an "unoficial" patch (official patches have to go through testing, and a whole lot of buerocratic paperwork is involved, don't expect the official one for a few weeks at least) that fixes all the "game breaking" problems. A quick look through these forums should give you a good idea of the improvements BTS makes. Overall though, it is well worth the $.

It's very good. A definite improvement over Civ4 and Warlords, which got a bit repetitive after a while. There's a bit of fine tuning required for some of the new features and there's a couple of somewhat annoying bugs to iron out, but otherwise it's fairly solid and enjoyable.

Inflation rates ramp up with slower game speeds.

Corporation maintenance ramps up with difficulty level.

On Marathon/Immortal life will generally be horrid and Corporations useless.
On Normal/Prince Corporations are the best thing since sliced bread.

In other words, how broken BtS is depends on the settings you're using, though Solver's patch goes a long way to make things more enjoyable all around.

Actually if you were bored with civ4 vanilla then you need to ask yourself why? If the reasons for being bored are gameplay issues like graphics not working correctly because or programming problems or if your interests normally lie in FPS or RPG type games then civ might not be for you.

On the other hand, if you like strategy games as a whole then you'll need to annalize what about civ4 original might still be there even with warlords or BTS X-pacs. It is nothing but addon material as far as BTS is concerned but there is a lot of it for an expansion. I like it because it made the AI more challenging at times (unless your playing on the lowest couple levels).

I do not see how the Corporations or Espionage parts are broken as some others are saying in this thread? I have yet to have any relavent problems with getting them to work fine for me on most levels of play that I use.

The only things I have noticed a going to be fixed in the first real patch I am sure, One being units dying funny in ways and sounds still going on or the repeater type bug that makes the unit repeat it's previous move(s) before continuing on like it should when you hold the Shift key down and program the unit to move/build several things at once without needing you to tell it every step.

My favorite part of this style of thread is the varied responses:

Poster a: "This rocks! Go buy it now!"

Poster b: "This sucks. Not worth it even if it's free!"

Moral of the story: It's totally subjective, and based solely on your own likes and desires. Personally, I really enjoy the whole Civ scene, and have since I first discovered a copy of Civilization in a discount software bin like 20 years ago. My all time favorite games are complicated turn-based strategy games, so this is about as perfect a game as you can get for me.

However, for you - only you can say!

One note - if I recall right, there's a downloadable demo off the website; why not download it and give it a shot to see if you like it? When I can, this is my favorite way to evaluate new games - in my opinion, gives you a better idea of how well you'll personally like the game rather than wading through reviews and opinions....

Good luck!

Top Bottom