How is your Victoria Game going?

ZeletDude

The Lion
Just thought we needed a thread about Victoria 1/2 specifically, I mean there's a EU 3 one :p.

My current Vicky 2 game I formed Scandinavia and annexed Holstein, also took the southern state of Dai Nam as a concession. It's 1860

Austria is at war with various German nations/Prussia and also France. (France isn't allied with Prussia/Germany Minors) but rather The Dutch tried to leave France's SoI so France declared war on the Netherlands, and Austria went to aid them. Then Prussia and allies declared war on Austria.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Nice work there. :D

I'm kind of playing other things myself but I'll get that itch again when the expansion comes out.

The 1.4 beta finally addresses some of the problems that caused me to stop playing the release version. I have had two games that are worth sharing:

Oddly enough, I am also playing Sweden -> Scandinavia, currently 1898 or so. Early on, I conquered Brunei, Johore, and Atjeh to form an Asian colony. I managed to snatch Finland from the Russians as part of a relatively large coalition war (UK and Austria were allied with me at the time), but I've been fighting cyclic wars every 5 years to hold onto it. Formed Scandinavia in 1880. In a later war, I took Karelia, because I could then station troops along a two-province front and hold the Russians back. NGF and Italy have formed "on-time", but France has stubbornly held on to Alsace-Lorraine and so the German state formed in the early 1890s. The colonization race in Africa has gone mostly to France and GB, as expected, but the Belgians took the Congo, Portugal still has some holdings, and my Scandies have taken Somalia and East Africa. In the Middle East, Iraq has broken away from the Ottomans, France has conquered territory in modern-day Saudi Arabia, and I have taken the southern coast of the peninsula. Pacific Islands are still wide-open. Borders are pretty stagnate in the Americas, except for the disintegration of the USCA and Cuba being liberated from Spain as part of a peace treaty. No major countries have fallen to extreme ideologies yet (not quite to the 20th century yet, so no Fascism, and Communism is still fairly young).

I'm really wishing I had more than one NF. It has slowed down colonization so much, but it's hard to build up the Swedish population since I formed Scandinavia (all other Scandinavian cultures are accepted and do not assimilate). I'm also going to install the Great Wars mod because I want a big fight to end this game. I lost my France save game where the coalitions were perfect for it! I won't be cheated this time!

I was going to post my world map, but it is going through the site's upload process now.

Awhile back, I also played a Venezuela game until 1936, which was a load of fun. Ended up conquering most of Colombia, all of Ecuador, and colonizing Pacific islands. USA reached its historic borders, Germany united but Italy didn't, overall it was a good game.

Yay, I too have been playing as Sweden. :D But the game is Victoria: Revolutions, and I haven't formed Scandinavia. Norway is my satellite and I'm allied with Denmark though, so it's kind of a Kalmar Union. The year is 1925(?), and I've formed a new Swedish Empire. I have all the shore provinces of the Baltic Sea except Viipuri and St. Petersburg. The funny thing here is that I've conquered only three of those provinces, rest of the bunch I've acquired by trading. As soon as the game started I improved my relations with Russia to +200 and made an alliance with them. Sweden has a high literacy rate and thus researches technologies fast. One tech with +200 relations is roughly worth one non-core province, so I managed to exchange Finland to techs with Russia without too much fuss. Then I realized that Russia doesn't have cores to Baltic provinces. Those I acquired by first conquering Siak and Atjeh and exchanging those provinces to Estonia and Latvia.

Then came the time for the wars of German unification. Prussia beat France without too much effort, they even conquered Paris while Austria reached the Atlantic shore. When Prussia declared war on Austria I saw that my chance had come. I immediately moved all my troops (approx. 30k men :D ) to Libava, my only province bordering Prussia, and declared war on those pesky German bastards. Prussia was expecting an easy war, but instead of an equal-sized Austria they got to face Russia on steroids: because of their trades with me, they weren't a backwards nation but one of the leading countries in the world. Russian army steamrolled to Berlin, no hope for Germany to unify. Russia negotiated a couple of provinces to them in the peace treaty, I traded those to some techs and colonies in Asia.

With the Prussian-Austrian alliance broken, I bribed Austria to like me and made an alliance with them. With the unholy alliance of me, Russia and Austria, Prussia was practically destroyed. War declaration, I conquer a province on the shores of the Baltic Sea, Russia and Austria kill everything in sight, peace treaty, trade provinces with Russia, peace treaty ends, rinse and repeat. At one point even France joined my alliance, although they only stationed their troops in Metz and waited for Russia to do the job.

So now Prussia has approximately 10 provinces, Hannover shares a border with Russia, Baltic countries and Pommern have been returned to Sweden. Me likes.

NGF? What is that?

How long does this game go anyway? I haven't played much of it.
North German Federation. Prussia can form that, then the NGF forms into the German Empire. Also well I play a few hours a day and my current Belgium game (abandoned my Scandinavia one as Prussia WTFpwned me and my entire army was destroyed). is at 1860 and I've been playing for about a week. It realy depends on what speed you play at.

Yay, I too have been playing as Sweden. :D But the game is Victoria: Revolutions, and I haven't formed Scandinavia. Norway is my satellite and I'm allied with Denmark though, so it's kind of a Kalmar Union. The year is 1925(?), and I've formed a new Swedish Empire. I have all the shore provinces of the Baltic Sea except Viipuri and St. Petersburg. The funny thing here is that I've conquered only three of those provinces, rest of the bunch I've acquired by trading. As soon as the game started I improved my relations with Russia to +200 and made an alliance with them. Sweden has a high literacy rate and thus researches technologies fast. One tech with +200 relations is roughly worth one non-core province, so I managed to exchange Finland to techs with Russia without too much fuss. Then I realized that Russia doesn't have cores to Baltic provinces. Those I acquired by first conquering Siak and Atjeh and exchanging those provinces to Estonia and Latvia.

Then came the time for the wars of German unification. Prussia beat France without too much effort, they even conquered Paris while Austria reached the Atlantic shore. When Prussia declared war on Austria I saw that my chance had come. I immediately moved all my troops (approx. 30k men :D ) to Libava, my only province bordering Prussia, and declared war on those pesky German bastards. Prussia was expecting an easy war, but instead of an equal-sized Austria they got to face Russia on steroids: because of their trades with me, they weren't a backwards nation but one of the leading countries in the world. Russian army steamrolled to Berlin, no hope for Germany to unify. Russia negotiated a couple of provinces to them in the peace treaty, I traded those to some techs and colonies in Asia.

With the Prussian-Austrian alliance broken, I bribed Austria to like me and made an alliance with them. With the unholy alliance of me, Russia and Austria, Prussia was practically destroyed. War declaration, I conquer a province on the shores of the Baltic Sea, Russia and Austria kill everything in sight, peace treaty, trade provinces with Russia, peace treaty ends, rinse and repeat. At one point even France joined my alliance, although they only stationed their troops in Metz and waited for Russia to do the job.

So now Prussia has approximately 10 provinces, Hannover shares a border with Russia, Baltic countries and Pommern have been returned to Sweden. Me likes.
Aww how sad for Prussia! Great Sweden game though, I really with V2 had the option to buy/sell provinces I really liked that feature in V1, buying all the European colonies in the Caribbean as the USA was really satisfying. :(

The lack of buying/selling provinces could be heavily abused (as Hitti-Litti has shown us :D), so they removed it and instead added nation-specific decisions for some of the major land deals (Seward's Icebox, Britain giving the Ionian Islands to Greece, etc.). I'm split on this. As someone who started with Victoria II, it's a feature that I haven't missed, but I see its utility. Maybe if it was restricted to colonies instead of states, that would enable players to trade territories abroad (which did happen during this time period, there is no denying that) without allowing you to strangely rewrite the European borders (like selling Normandy and Saxony to Portugal).

Hitti-Litti sounds like he managed diplomacy better than I did. I fought Russia for Finland and Karelia, initially I was allied to the UK and Austria, but both of those relationships have broken down--we are on good terms, but they won't accept my alliance proposals. I've started backing other continental powers (namely, Germany). I've got both Spain and Japan sphered and allied, which is good, as well as several other minor nations (my sphere is huge). The current great power alliance blocs look like this (with the power rankings also noted):
  • France/1; Russia/7
  • UK/2; Austria Hungary/5
  • USA/3; Germany/4; Scandinavia/6
  • Italy/8
The Germans also have a treaty with the UK, but the UK isn't allied with me or the USA. Italy is a brand new great power that just broke out of the French sphere, so I assume they are leaning towards the French. Some of the other European secondary powers, like Belgium and the Netherlands are allied with France, so their alliance is more fearsome than it seems.

If a Great War is to occur, I have no doubt Germany and my Scandies will support each other--our traditional enemies are France and Russia, both which share a strong alliance. Italy presumably supports France, but I might be able to drag the UK and Austria-Hungary to support our coalition. Can't wait to finish this one up.

This is also the reason why I wish there was a converter for Victoria II to HoI3. WW1 will be awesome, WW2 would have been doubly so. :(

EDIT: After I wrote this, I played another year. Austria-Hungary declared war on Germany to conquer a Bavarian province, UK backed A-H. I'm backing Germany. So this plan just fell apart.

Currently in the midst of a Brazil game in Vicky 2. Waiting for truce with Bolivia to expire so I can put it out of its misery.

The lack of buying/selling provinces could be heavily abused (as Hitti-Litti has shown us :D), so they removed it and instead added nation-specific decisions for some of the major land deals (Seward's Icebox, Britain giving the Ionian Islands to Greece, etc.). I'm split on this. As someone who started with Victoria II, it's a feature that I haven't missed, but I see its utility. Maybe if it was restricted to colonies instead of states, that would enable players to trade territories abroad (which did happen during this time period, there is no denying that) without allowing you to strangely rewrite the European borders (like selling Normandy and Saxony to Portugal).

Hitti-Litti sounds like he managed diplomacy better than I did. I fought Russia for Finland and Karelia, initially I was allied to the UK and Austria, but both of those relationships have broken down--we are on good terms, but they won't accept my alliance proposals. I've started backing other continental powers (namely, Germany). I've got both Spain and Japan sphered and allied, which is good, as well as several other minor nations (my sphere is huge). The current great power alliance blocs look like this (with the power rankings also noted):
  • France/1; Russia/7
  • UK/2; Austria Hungary/5
  • USA/3; Germany/4; Scandinavia/6
  • Italy/8
The Germans also have a treaty with the UK, but the UK isn't allied with me or the USA. Italy is a brand new great power that just broke out of the French sphere, so I assume they are leaning towards the French. Some of the other European secondary powers, like Belgium and the Netherlands are allied with France, so their alliance is more fearsome than it seems.

If a Great War is to occur, I have no doubt Germany and my Scandies will support each other--our traditional enemies are France and Russia, both which share a strong alliance. Italy presumably supports France, but I might be able to drag the UK and Austria-Hungary to support our coalition. Can't wait to finish this one up.

This is also the reason why I wish there was a converter for Victoria II to HoI3. WW1 will be awesome, WW2 would have been doubly so. :(

I'm pretty sure a few modders have created a V2 --> HoI3 converter! At least I *think* I've seen it somewhere.

@ LoE I had a Brazil game once upon a time, it was pretty good I killed Bolivia alot too, and Paraguay ;P

I've been playing a game as Austria, not so much yet, I just finished a small war with the Swiss, taking eastern switzerland. Now I just need to find a way to take out some random african country. I was thinking of Madagascar.

I'm pretty sure a few modders have created a V2 --> HoI3 converter! At least I *think* I've seen it somewhere.

@ LoE I had a Brazil game once upon a time, it was pretty good I killed Bolivia alot too, and Paraguay ;P

I didn't think it was finished.

@Civ'ed: What patch do you have? If its 1.3 or earlier, I wold suggest taking Zulu if it isn't taken already. Apart from the hordes of soldier pops that reside there (which I think got changed in 1.4b), you would also have a foothold on the continent itself, from which to expand deeper into the interior of the continent. You'd have to take out the Boer states first, but IIRC, they have good resources.

@Sonereal: I don't think its finished, but I think it was in an "open beta" state, where it was usable, but had some bugs.

I eventually took south Madagascar, then started a war with Makran, but didn't save since Russia crippled me.
Speaking of russia... :evil:
My newest Russia game, 10 April 1837. Just finished a war with Sweden. Paradox is NOT going to like me. And my borders suck too.
My main problem was running out of men because of the Swedestack. Now, who'll be next... (Hint: It's Egypt)

Prussia has had it's usual share of Denmark, I think there is only one way for Scandinavia to form and for it, you must be Prussia and not act like Prussian AI.

I've been following the modders' progress on the Paradox forums (although I'm not a member there--one game forum sucks up enough of my time, I can't sign up for two!). They have one thread for the EU3 -> VII and VII -> HoI3 converters. Much of the progress has been on the EU3 converter. As far as I can tell, the VII -> HoI3 converter isn't even started yet. They might have the province mapping, but that's about it.

I would have loved to convert my France game that I lost due to accidently overwriting it, but whatev's. The Venezuela game was pretty fun and I wouldn't mind taking that to HoI3. But my current game... oh, man, I would love to convert it. I don't even mind going in and "fixing" little things--so long as there is a reasonable conversion to provide a baseline, I'll go in and fix it up for a few days and then continue playing.

I often find the Boer states, which cost 20 infamy to conquer, are not worth it. I take the Zulus as a coaling station in Africa, and then try to colonize in SE Asia because the trade goods are better. East Africa is good too because Britain and France don't colonize there as rapidly (good for minor powers, I should say).

I'm trying to figure out if I have a chance at conquering British South Africa or some of their other colonies...both Britain and France have 100's of ironclads and cruisers, though, so I have to break down their navies. That's going to be long and aggravating.

I've been following the modders' progress on the Paradox forums (although I'm not a member there--one game forum sucks up enough of my time, I can't sign up for two!). They have one thread for the EU3 -> VII and VII -> HoI3 converters. Much of the progress has been on the EU3 converter. As far as I can tell, the VII -> HoI3 converter isn't even started yet. They might have the province mapping, but that's about it.

I would have loved to convert my France game that I lost due to accidently overwriting it, but whatev's. The Venezuela game was pretty fun and I wouldn't mind taking that to HoI3. But my current game... oh, man, I would love to convert it. I don't even mind going in and "fixing" little things--so long as there is a reasonable conversion to provide a baseline, I'll go in and fix it up for a few days and then continue playing.

I often find the Boer states, which cost 20 infamy to conquer, are not worth it. I take the Zulus as a coaling station in Africa, and then try to colonize in SE Asia because the trade goods are better. East Africa is good too because Britain and France don't colonize there as rapidly (good for minor powers, I should say).

I'm trying to figure out if I have a chance at conquering British South Africa or some of their other colonies...both Britain and France have 100's of ironclads and cruisers, though, so I have to break down their navies. That's going to be long and aggravating.

Well you could always keep the Scandinavia save game hidden away until they finish the converter! Just an idea :).

Also yes I usually do the same as you regarding the colonies, I was going to start a great Scandinavian South East Asian Empire.. but that game is bust, so I guess Belgian South East Asia will be my next goal. ;)

Speaking of province-trading deals, did they ever get the AI to successfully figure out the Aroostook War?

Speaking of province-trading deals, did they ever get the AI to successfully figure out the Aroostook War?

yeah the Webster-Ashburton treaty always fires now and The USA gets Northern Maine, though that's all it does .

btw guys, ever heard of event 11101? If you, say, put this into the cheat console:
event 11101 TUR
then the Ottomans will go, if you say they can (Event appears to you).
and so on, but if you forget to add a tag YOU are inherited.
Which I am going to try right this instant.
(I heard it from This PI thread.)

btw guys, ever heard of event 11101? If you, say, put this into the cheat console:
event 11101 TUR
then the Ottomans will go, if you say they can (Event appears to you).
and so on, but if you forget to add a tag YOU are inherited.
Which I am going to try right this instant.
(I heard it from This PI thread.)

This is the event that, when triggered, allows a cultural union GP to annex a minor of the same culture in their sphere? Saw it in the same place, not really a fan of magically disappearing GPs, though. :)

When you say inherited, though, you don't actually mean your power annexes the target, right?

Technically, using it via the cheat console renders the annexing country EMPTY LAND. But other wise yes
Hence, if you remove every GP and China, No one owns them and you can colonize them to your own free will.

Top Bottom