How is your Victoria Game going?

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by ZeletDude, Jul 26, 2011.

1. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

A bit early, don't you think? :p

2. Ergo Sum

Ergo Sum Prince

Soviet Union with PDM 4.4.6 (I believe). Goals were to take USSR to the number one spot - surprisingly easy in the early game but the USA really blew up mid-game, so I recaptured the number one spot around 1900. Although my (secondary) goal was lasting industrial edge over USA, I only surpassed them for a brief time during my Great War against Austria. The AI (or just the US) seems a lot more capable in industrial matters, even with Laissez-Faire. My 1887 Communist Revolution helped by kickstarting population, though having to update each railroad in all ~350 of my provinces was a bore. Recovering from Russia's dismal literacy was another struggle, every other European Great Power smoked me in terms of technology.

Spoiler :

World Map (big):
    Spoiler :

Below, the results of successfully dismantling three empires in Great Wars, first France, then Germany, then Austria. I would have gone for Great Britain or the USA but I didn't feel like updating my navy (the same I started with) and invading England, and I'm not sure I'd have the resources to dismantle the USA with a proper invasion. Only expansion in Europe was taking Galicia-Lodomeria in the Austrian Great War. I also took a fair bit of central Asia and the edge of India. I could have tried to grab some more protectorates in West Africa but I didn't care to, and Sokoto and Massi Westernized anyway. Sphere-ing seems quite a bit more difficult in PDM too, I had a hard time keeping Ottomans/East Europe under wraps towards the end of the game, and some of the mechanics for the puppet states and spheres after Great Wars (Rhineland, Occitania) seemed a bit biased against me even though I prosecuted the wars.

Spoiler :

I thought I had a pretty good handle on vanilla industry but PDM's changes kicked my ass. A lot more engaging. Producing more rubber would have helped but shifting prices tend to make profitable factories fall to (very) negative values, which isn't great in a factory with 300K workers. I believe industry score is calculated more on industrial output and profitability in PDM, rather than the combination of employment and factory level in vanilla. Witness the struggles of industrial correction:

Spoiler :

So maybe I could have beaten out the US if I had a better handle on PDM industry. A closer peak at the Great Powers and the crazy governments of PDM. I used KanyeWest government names mini-mod.

Spoiler :

Now onto either Serbia/Greece/Wallachia or a British satellite like Ireland/Canada. Won't have nearly as much time for games with classes and college for the next few months, though.

3. salty mud

salty mud Deity

Maybe I should get this PDM. It just seems to me like a major change and what with AHD coming out soon... I doubt the expansion will support it.

4. Parapaiontes

Parapaiontes Chieftain

Finished my German Empire game in PDM.
    Dismantled all the Great Powers in Europe that were hostile towards me.
    Spoiler World Map :

Towards the end of the game, I had a war with Russia which resulted in the Liberation of Ukraine, Belarus, and Lithuania. (Poland gained some provinces too)
    Spoiler Europe and Governments :

Spoiler Rankings :

As you can see, Europe had a huge fascist outbreak during my game. I've barely seen any communists.

Also, have a bonus.
    Spoiler HAHA, DENMARK :

5. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

That is so beautiful, I love seeing Britain split up as well as France. :D (lot's of Fascists, are there any commies?

6. NedimNapoleon

NedimNapoleon Weird Little Human

What the, Tripoli a secondary power?

7. B4tman

B4tman Warlord

Andes Republic 1904
    Spoiler :

Spoiler :

8. Ashurdan

Ashurdan Warlord

I just got vicky two, no mods yet, can I get some help?

I have been watching some lets play france on youtube so I have some idea of what to do, but not a lot, for example, why are they making all those cavalry at the start? How many points can I go with influence, can I max influence each country or do I only have so many bars to use? If so what is best to influence, right now I am doing egypt, sardinia piedmont and morroco, and i think brazil, anyone else? Is france a bad country to learn how to play?

9. Ergo Sum

Ergo Sum Prince

France is a perfect country to learn the game, since it doesn't have colonies of any real size at game start. Not sure about the cavalry. However I believe influence is proportional, so if you only put one bar in one country, all your influence will go into that country. Likewise if you put one bar in every country, you'll only get a tiny bit of influence per day and it will take years to sphere countries. Once you get to 50 influence you can press 'increase influence' and after enough times you can put them in your sphere.

Sphereing countries gives you a few advantages: it guarantees that country will join you in your wars, and their resources will be in your immediate market. I'm a little shaky on the economic aspect, someone else could help explain, but if you need a certain resource just check a country's RGOs and if they have the right one then you should sphere it. And it gives you a market of people to buy your industrial goods, so having countries with decent incomes helps to sell your goods. In addition on the European continent sphereing helps to shore up your borders, I try to sphere Belgium and Switzerland as France/Germany so that I can concentrate my forces along the Rhine for war.

10. Ashurdan

Ashurdan Warlord

My problem with sphering belgium is they go in and out of great power status...

11. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

If you're taking about the LP I think you're talking about, do note he's not exactly the most experienced player. I recall him being highly confused after a war where he took all the states he could take off S-P that they still existed (because you can't take their capital state unless its the only one they have), among other things.

12. Ashurdan

Ashurdan Warlord

My save games crash whenever I try to load them... is there a fix to this?

13. Ergo Sum

Ergo Sum Prince

^Delete map cache/reinstall, try again. YMMV.

14. Ashurdan

Ashurdan Warlord

I have reinstalled twice now, no luck, it won't even let me start a game as the UK... how do I delete the map cache?

15. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

in the map folder, there is a cache folder...
    Delete everything INSIDE the cache folder but leave the folder itself.

16. germanicus12

germanicus12 First Citizen of Rome

Anyone know if the PDM mod will work with the A House Divided expansion.

17. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

Not ATM, but from what I hear they plan to convert it to a AHD version.
    About AHD: I really like the new CB/war system.

18. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I can add a little here.

Regarding cavalry, I think they are useful but I caution against over-producing them. Infantry will typically fight better than cavalry, although early-on they are close in terms of efficacy. Cavalry distinguishes itself with its recon value, which enables you to capture provinces faster as well as "break through" your opponent's defense bonuses. For example, if I have more recon points than you do when a battle starts, you will get a smaller bonus from entrenching or it may be eliminated entirely. Cavalry also do flank-type attacks like they did in EU3, I think, but it's much more likely that your front lines will be filled with infantry in Victoria due to mass mobilization so it plays a smaller role later in the game.

On the economics of sphering, there are essentially 9 markets in the game. The world market, and each great power's sphere market. When your pops or factories go to buy stuff, they have to go to the world market, where they buy in order of national prestige. Thus, a more prestigious power will get first dibs on goods while less prestigious powers will suffer the shortfalls if the market supply is less than the market demand. The sphere is a shortcut which allows great powers to buy stuff directly from sphered countries before going to the world market, which enables a less prestigious great power to get goods they otherwise would have problems getting. Likewise, you can ensure your factories will sell all your goods to your sphere even if there is a glut on the world market--other great powers will have to leave goods unsold.

19. salty mud

salty mud Deity

This is the first ever game of Victoria 2 (or any grand strategy, for that matter) that I have played to completion. I was in first place for a good portion of the game, but Britain's military score and the USA's monstrous industry score (6000!?) resigned me to third place. A fun game, though easy, I'm hoping to expand my horizons next game and play a Central American nation from the ACW start point, Costa Rica preferably. Only thing deterring me is their pathetically small population...

Attached Files:

20. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

Started a Japan, APD (A pop divided) Game a few days ago, I am now civilized, and control Korea and Sakhalin, and #6/ power, more info/pics to come once I do things of note :p

Also the Westernization thing needs to be a bit more difficult for some nations....... Burma just westernized and several African nations (which APD added) are near Westernization too. :\