1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How long are you SUPPOSED to finish a game?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by CivNoobie, Oct 27, 2012.

1. CivNoobie

CivNoobie King

For non-marathon games where time victory is 350 - 650 turns. How fast are you supposed to move every turn?I have been finishing epic lengthed games in 5 hours or so, is that too fast?

2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Wow! Have to say this is truly one of the more unique questions, and a bit bizarre, that I've seen posted here.

"Supposed To"? I think a better question would be how long does a typical/average game take to complete. Also, is that "game time" vs. "real time"?

Regardless, there is no golden rule on length of gameplay here. It really a matter of playstyle as well as lots of other factors. Some players Micro a heck of a lot more than others. Players like TMIT made an art of speedcivving, playing games in 2 to 3 hrs "game time", while still winning on higher levels. My typical game runs more around 10hrs on normal speed, but I micro a lot - which basically means I stare at the screen with glazed eyes for extended periods of time while the game clock runs.

I'd say 5hr Epic games are on fast side, depending on victory type. However, if you are successful play at whatever speed suits you.

I'd worry less about how long you need to play a game - as there is no such concept - and more about learning how to play the game.

(I am curious as to your age)

3. SyntaxError

SyntaxError ...

Since this is a turn-based game, it doesn't matter how long your games should be. It could be a few hours or it could be as long as 10 years like that Civ2 game!

4. elmurcis

elmurcis Emperor

It could be around.. hmm... 6-10 hrs for Mara/Huge game (clear game time without rest time etc)

5. Lord_Herobrine

Lord_Herobrine Procrastinating

I've had some marathon games of mine run up to 16hrs. There is also a Civ2 game that someone has been playing for 10yrs, no joke. It all depends on how much you micro and if you like to feel more indepth. Personally, i think an epic game in 5hrs is too quick, but thats my personal preference. If you are successful at it, go ahead and finish in 5hrs, no one is judging you.

6. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

wellm. ehm. my current game I started in mid/late june 2012.
    Im now around 1800 AD :D

(Epic/Gigantic)

Am I slow?

7. elmurcis

elmurcis Emperor

4 months without leaving CIV game? Amazing player... :eek: :D

Gigantic is what map size? (huge was.. hmm. 128x80 tiles?)
    On huge on some map type I can have 40+ cities with just 1 AI killed and noone else touched.. Could imagine that in that size map could get some 100 cities and still would be far from domination :D

8. jarhead_leif

jarhead_leif Civ2ToT Modder

,.it's not a simulation game or an RTS wherein you're suppose to win in a certain period of time..
    ,it's strategy.,and besides, even you spent 24hrs of playing cIV, it doesn't affect your final score..

,dont push yourself too much.,there is no one telling you to do so..just focus
    ,enjoy and cherish how your empire prosper..
    ,oh..but if it's in game, the earlier the better..
    ,rush all your swordsmen then raze all their cities..;)

,i finished last night and it was 11hrs marathon/huge SRvictory..:mischief:

9. Ambidexter

Ambidexter Edjumacated Idjit

I've easily got 10 hours in my present game and I'm at 1000 AD. Gigantic, epic, deity, Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn mod.

10. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

My games usually took me a few days :shifty: I've never really finished one game in a single session (unless I got horrible start :D). Why do You worry about that ? It's not a contest of speed (nor RTS) :D That's why CIV is turn-based. ;) Take Your time, relax, meditate and be happy about Your Army Stack of Doom razing the countryside ^^

11. damerell

damerell Slow Worker

If it takes too long, play on Small maps. The stacks are a lot more manageable.

12. iggymnrr

iggymnrr Deity

About the same time as it would take to walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. I'm not as coordinated so it takes me longer than most. But I am faster than those who like to put game data through spreadsheets while playing.

13. babar

babar King

About an hour if there are no wars, up to about 6 hours if there are. (edit: that's just me; I play as fast as I can in the early stages and during culture/OCC games, and very ponderously when there are lots of troops involved).

14. misterfilmgeek

misterfilmgeek Warlord

Wow, I see am in the minority on play time. I typically play Normal/Epic speed on Monarch/Emperor, and clock in between 20-30 hours per game. Maybe 10-20% of that is spent idle (I don't exit the game to make meals, take short breaks, etc...), but I tend to spend quite a while on each game. I never automate anything (except for workers to Build Trade Network pre and post RRs) and I typically don't go for early domination/conquest wins except on Normal Speed/Standard size maps, so there is quite a bit of late game micro-management. Still, I am amazed that so many can play Epic games so quickly.

15. Koning

Koning Warlord

I enjoy Civ more by playing on a relaxed pace: my typical game duration is about 15-20 hours I guess. And yes, I micromanage a lot.

16. mgbx4

mgbx4 Warlord

I been playing a game on Civ 4 BTS( is it BTS lol I know is Civ4 tho, the last expansion anyways) for about 3years, tho I havent played it for like 8 months but I am not done with it, just been stuck on Xbox and now on CiV G&K haha, but my regular game usually is about 2-3 months long, I dont play everyday but when I played usually I do about 50-100 turns and always play on Marathon/Huge with lost of Civs

17. shulgi

shulgi Warlord

For online games, are we supposed to play fast? I have to try that out sometime soon.

18. capnvonbaron

capnvonbaron Democratia gladii

Well, since my computer blows, any game on a large map that goes into the modern era, or just about any huge map past the medevil era, takes many seconds on IBT choking on all the data going on with AI. So those games take FOR EV ER.

But on a normal map, epic or marathon, I can get early AD conquer victories in under 5 hours. Any game that goes into the modern era likely takes 7-10 hours on normal speed, and epic or marathon can take over that and I will likely break it up into a few sittings.

19. Nighthawk419

Nighthawk419 Deity

Online live games tend to have turn timers, so you are limited. It adjusts with the era though, so as the game gets larger your timer is longer. Even at the fastest speeds its not terrible though. The quickest online games I've played are still at least 4-5 hours, small map, quick speed.

As for myself, single player, I don't play huge large sessions all the time, too busy for that, but I will play 1-2 hour blocks of turns at a time. Generally I like Epic speed and huge maps... I normally will go into the modern era and it will take a few months per game. Yes I micro literally everything :cool:

I also play in multiple PBEM games, which takes forever... I started 1 game thats 18 players on a huge map, normal speed but through PBEM. We started in January 2012, its now November 2012 and we are getting close to 2000 BC. Down to 17 players though! haha... it will take about 5-6 years to finish. Thats definitely the extreme though, most PBEM games only take 2 years I'd say, normally.

20. wazzzuup

wazzzuup track $tar

games usually take 1 to 2 days on quick LOL