1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How Long Can you Survive...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Mosher, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Mosher

Mosher Mushroom dad

...Without settling?

My challenge - start as any nation in the ancient era, and wander the world until you're killed. Post your record times here.

Only rule - you can't get open borders when someone researches it and then hide in side their borders.

I tried this once and got to 25 AD - I sent my scout out to get to geurilla 2 and then came back to my settler, and he looked on hills for barb animals and I went the other way. I eventually got caught by a barb swordsmen, and died.

2. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

The game ends after a certain number of turns if you don't settle. I think it is 20 turns on normal speed...

3. kensington888

kensington888 Warlord

are there amy other conditions?type of map?map size?amount of civs?

4. Mosher

Mosher Mushroom dad

The game didn't end for me...

Though I was playing on a friend's version, and he's changed almost all of his xml files. I'll look into this.

5. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

Must have been disabled somehow.

It's an issue for HoF games on settler where you try and get as many workers and settlers from goody huts before settling your first city.

6. obsolete

obsolete Deity

Well... I just learned something new... Any more tid-bits of useless Civ-IV info you have to share there Para? :p

7. yturk39

yturk39 Warlord

I don't think that's right, but then I've never tried it either. I usually play Marathon speed games, so I guess if there were an arbitrary number of turns you could wander before the game just abruptly said "Game Over" without killing you off, I guess they would increase proportionally, wouldn't they?

I doubt it works that way. I think more likely you'd just get choked by rival civ EPs generating more and more lethal barbs that would eventually overcome whatever defender you had.

One thing I've wondered, but haven't tried: if you don't settle are your scouts still capable of getting techs from goody huts, or does that ONLY happen once you've settled and begun research?

8. ilduce349

ilduce349 (Financial, Philo)

I just got to turn 62 on a quick game of regular civ without settling before an enemy swordsman killed me. (ParadigmShifter was wrong)

Other suggested rules for this to work:
    1. Can't select no barbarians in custom game
    2. Must be a pangea map (On the islands one I had a 5 territory Island, Warior on one side, settler on the other, and no barbs could appear because I could see every territory, that would allow me to hold on until an enemy civ declared war on me)
    3. Select always war. Instead of just avioding barbs, aviod enemy civs as well.

9. Sian

Sian Emperor

go sit on a forested/jungled hill with as many rivers as possable around you, with your quacha and your settler

10. ilduce349

thats what I did...

11. Hortulanus

Hortulanus Chieftain

Would an enemy civ ever declare, or would your absence of cities or even a cultural border make you immune? I doubt the programmers ever considered this scenario.:crazyeye:

12. ilduce349

Thats a good point

13. Dhoomstriker

Dhoomstriker Girlie Builder

Ahhh, finally a use for those 1-island starts! Survive until the end of the game (or until ParadigmShifter's deadline comes up). No Barbs to worry about and even if an AI attacks you, they'll have to overcome the 50% amphibious assault penalty.

14. Clam Spammer

Clam Spammer Prince

Re. Paradigm's suggested turn limit:

I have seen instances where AI civs are unable to settle due to the 2-tile restriction (which can happen on Duel with 18 civs). After some amount of turns, all city-less AIs get destroyed, and all at the same time. It could be that they got bumped off the map due to border expansion (no Open Borders), or maybe they are coded to just quit after so many turns.